Turn on thread page Beta

What Was The Best Decade For Music?? watch

• View Poll Results: Which Was The Best Decade For Music??
    1960s
    12.39%
    1970s
    14.16%
    1980s
    25.66%
    1990s
    37.17%
    2000s
    9.73%
    2010s
    0.88%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manitude)
    Perhaps
    :chaplin:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rascacielos)
    There have actually been scientific studies on a subjective topic?
    Who said anything about "scientific studies"?

Are you crazy?

Next you'll say it's "subjective" to say a Ferrari is better than a Nissan Micra...

ReputationRep:
    I'm a 90s child and voted 70s.

Steps never really pushed the right buttons for me.
    Hah.. There is great stuff and awful stuff in each decade.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eLECTROLOSIS)
    Everyone here will say the 90's because thats when we grew up... (Yes... I voted for the 90's)
    That said, I didn't even know the names of any of the 90s acts I listen to today when their output was released in the era. The Prodigy, Leftfield, Underworld, The Chemical Brothers, Massive Attack... they're all artists and bands I've only just discovered in the last decade.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by baffled_mathman)

Are you crazy?

Next you'll say it's "subjective" to say a Ferrari is better than a Nissan Micra...
    Scientific studies as in experts.

Look at the poll - clearly musical taste is subjective. I don't think you can really compare music to cars. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Hah.. There is great stuff and awful stuff in each decade.
    True. I think Steps, S Club 7 and Atomic Kitten dominate my memories of the 1990s/early 2000s though, which is probably why I tend to dislike that era.

ReputationRep:
    90s Rap

ReputationRep:
    Scientific studies as in experts.

Look at the poll - clearly musical taste is subjective. I don't think you can really compare music to cars. :rolleyes:
    "Scientific studies as in experts", what are you on about?

Are you a troll or extremely dim?

Musical taste is subjective, just as taste in cars is! :rolleyes:

People are entitled to their opinions, but experts give more definitive answers...on ANY subject.

God, some people!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laurie57)
    That said, I didn't even know the names of any of the 90s acts I listen to today when their output was released in the era. The Prodigy, Leftfield, Underworld, The Chemical Brothers, Massive Attack... they're all artists and bands I've only just discovered in the last decade.
    So true, I don't think Dance music gets better than the kind of stuff you've just mentioned (except Orbital, their my faves)... I'm only 18 and similarly have only recently (last 3 years) began to listen to the right stuff

ReputationRep:
    True. I think Steps, S Club 7 and Atomic Kitten dominate my memories of the 1990s/early 2000s though, which is probably why I tend to dislike that era.
    I guess I don't like the 70's, for me its all abit too physcadelic and trippy :P

ReputationRep:
    As always you tend to have nostalgic feelings for what you grew up with in your youth, the radio-play you were more inclined to hear, the mass anthems that enchanted entire populations of the same age. So it seems the nineties were up there for most people. 'Common People', 'Smells like Teen Spirit' and the majority of Radiohead's opus resonated through the decade but as a whole I've got to go for the 80s.

Primarily for endearing vocals/lyrics, atmospheric poignancy and angst/desperation songs that whilst sometimes cheesy and time-warped gave birth to a new wave of music (well in a new fashion anyway, those topics have always obviously existed), an almost hopeless anger or just anger. Of course not all great bands played that way but certainly the more seminal ones did.

Sonic Youth, Pixies, The Smiths, Joy Division, Nick Cave, Minor Threat, Guns n Roses, The Police, R.E.M, Run DMC, Beastie Boys, Stone Roses, N.W.A, Talk Talk, U2, Micheal Jackson (Thriller era), Black Flag, Jesus & The Mary Chain, Minutemen, The Fall, Tom Waits, Public Enemy, Talking Heads and so many more released their greatest or only material in that decade. How can you argue with that list? Unless, that's not your cup of tea, which is often the flaw of other's enthusiasm haha.

ReputationRep:
    the 70s

the 1370s

ReputationRep:
    I guess I don't like the 70's, for me its all abit too physcadelic and trippy :P
    Aha, I see what you mean. That's probably why I like it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boiled Hippo)
    As always you tend to have nostalgic feelings for what you grew up with in your youth, the radio-play you were more inclined to hear, the mass anthems that enchanted entire populations of the same age. So it seems the nineties were up there for most people. 'Common People', 'Smells like Teen Spirit' and the majority of Radiohead's opus resonated through the decade but as a whole I've got to go for the 80s.

Primarily for endearing vocals/lyrics, atmospheric poignancy and angst/desperation songs that whilst sometimes cheesy and time-warped gave birth to a new wave of music (well in a new fashion anyway, those topics have always obviously existed), an almost hopeless anger or just anger. Of course not all great bands played that way but certainly the more seminal ones did.

Sonic Youth, Pixies, The Smiths, Joy Division, Nick Cave, Minor Threat, Guns n Roses, The Police, R.E.M, Run DMC, Beastie Boys, Stone Roses, N.W.A, Talk Talk, U2, Micheal Jackson (Thriller era), Black Flag, Jesus & The Mary Chain, Minutemen, The Fall, Tom Waits, Public Enemy, Talking Heads and so many more released their greatest or only material in that decade. How can you argue with that list? Unless, that's not your cup of tea, which is often the flaw of other's enthusiasm haha.
    Wow, I must have skipped most of my childhood. I haven't heard of most of those bands.

Michael Jackson, U2 and The Police ftw though!

ReputationRep:
    I'll go 1970s, though I like all the 60s, 70s and 80s (and some 90s, I suppose ).

Definitely the older music, I doubt 2010's well get many votes, because we're only 1 and a bit years into this decade.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hudlam)
    90s Rap
    Yeahhh.

ReputationRep:
    80s AND 90s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by baffled_mathman)

Are you crazy?

In fairness, if you spend more time doing everyday activities like shopping than racing then I'd say the Nissan is better. So yeh it kinda is subjective...

Oh yeah and think 00s owned. But then again I only like 2 bands that operated mainly before 2000 (Pantera and Anthrax)

ReputationRep:
    The 90's gave us Blink-182. For this reason and this reason only i voted the 90's :pierre:

ReputationRep:
    60's and 90's are my favorites. Lol, no one voted for 2010's yet! Why not? Isn't this the most moving song you've ever heard???

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.