Turn on thread page Beta

What Was The Best Decade For Music?? watch

• View Poll Results: Which Was The Best Decade For Music??
    1960s
    12.39%
    1970s
    14.16%
    1980s
    25.66%
    1990s
    37.17%
    2000s
    9.73%
    2010s
    0.88%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eLECTROLOSIS)
    Everyone here will say the 90's because thats when we grew up... (Yes... I voted for the 90's)
    That's not the reason for most of people voting.

90s was an incredible time for electronic music. The innovation and quality in the period was second to none. Also 90s was regarded as the Golden era of hip hop. Also many great bands came through. The culture of music in the rave scene looked second to none ever seen. And whilst i would love to see the late 60s/70s scene, the 90s scene always looks the best to me.

(Original post by Laurie57)
    That said, I didn't even know the names of any of the 90s acts I listen to today when their output was released in the era. The Prodigy, Leftfield, Underworld, The Chemical Brothers, Massive Attack... they're all artists and bands I've only just discovered in the last decade.
    Some great names there. Rare but great to see any Leftfield fans today. Probably one of the greatest ever. Will never forget their live show last year. Best i have ever seen!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gob Bluth)
    Some great names there. Rare but great to see any Leftfield fans today. Probably one of the greatest ever. Will never forget their live show last year. Best i have ever seen!
    I envy you. I wanted to see them but their gigs have been 18+

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laurie57)
    I envy you. I wanted to see them but their gigs have been 18+
    Gutting, yeh shame it was 18+ but seeing as nearly everyone there was basically late 20s, early 30s (basically fan of Leftfield when they were producing stuff) there was very young people there which is a shame as they are such a good duo. Music for everyone. Converted a few people i know to like at least a couple of their songs tho.

ReputationRep:
    80's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by baffled_mathman)
    Who said anything about "scientific studies"?

Are you crazy?

Next you'll say it's "subjective" to say a Ferrari is better than a Nissan Micra...
    There are quantitative criteria with cars though like speed, volume of storage, miles to liters etc. Where as there's very few criteria like that for music.

ReputationRep:
    The 60's was the hippy decade right?? Or was that the 70's?

ReputationRep:
    1980s for the rise in heavy metal. In 1980 the heaviest band around were diamond head, and new wave of british heavy metal band. By the end of the 80's death metal had firmly established itself, along with grindcore, and black metal was really starting to get going.

Add to that the hard rock bands like GNR, Queen and then Pink Floyd with the wall album.

Although the mainstream in the 80's SUCKED BALLS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gnobe)
    The 60's was the hippy decade right?? Or was that the 70's?
    Both technically- alhtough some might rigidly say that the true carefree hippy era ended in the 1969 with the Charles Manson case and that after that hippydom was a caricature of itself. When I think of true hippies, I think of people in San Franscisco listening to The Doors in 1967.

Yet I'd say that 1988-1997 encompassed a new hippy period in a way. Madchester , the growing popularity of R.E.M. and hippyish bands like Spin Doctors, Crowded House going up to 1994, neatly taken over (unfairly for a bit in the case of R.E.M.) by Britpop. Even Nirvana's music had a hippyish beauty to it- they were R.E.M. fans. Then some people say that OK Computer killed true Britpop. That's a bit harsh- Supergrass carried the flame a bit- but it took until maybe the early 2000s for Britpop to come back in to force with the likes of The Coral. But they weren't doing much that The La's hadn't done 15-20 years before.

The 1970s had diversity for sure but that doesn't mean it's necessarily the best.
    One of my favourite songs of the 70s is Don't fear the reaper but it's not typical of the 70s- it almost sounds like it could have been written by The Byrds in the 60s.
    Apart from that I think of the 70s for disco, glam, prog rock and 'road rock' like You ain't seen nothing yet. So much of it made by people on far too many drugs, being screamed at by girls who didn't care that many of them looked as ugly as sin, enjoying the moment and not being quite as good as The Doors who contributed one last great song with Jim Morrison, LA Woman.

I'd vote for the 60s or the 90s. In terms of quantity of greatness, the 90s probably has the edge actually. The 80s had some solidly artistic pop/rock by the likes of Peter Gabriel and Kate Bush though.

90s!- The La's debut was finally released then and many other classic albums.

ReputationRep:
    90s hands down. london scene was crazy, jungle, rave, hardcore, garage and other stuff i dunno about but it was mad!!!

ReputationRep:
    I thought garage was more 2000. 90's was pretty decent enough overall though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Picnic1)
    Both technically- alhtough some might rigidly say that the true carefree hippy era ended in the 1969 with the Charles Manson case and that after that hippydom was a caricature of itself. When I think of true hippies, I think of people in San Franscisco listening to The Doors in 1967.
    True, the election of Richard Nixon and the Kennedy-Johnson era had gone.

Early 70s music was crap, nowhere near as carefree as the 60s.

ReputationRep:
    80s in my opinion

ReputationRep:
    70s to 80s. Sex Pistols. The Clash. Ramones. OHYES! THAT'S REAL PUNK!

ReputationRep:
    1990's - The decade of really cheesy pop!

ReputationRep:
    80s (just ahead of the 60s imo, was close)

ReputationRep:
    Where's my option for the 1920s?!

ReputationRep:
    Out of those options - the 90s. However, my personal choice of the last century would be the 40s and 50s.

ReputationRep:
    what no 1800's this poll sucks, has no Beethoven.

ReputationRep:
    80's easily.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eLECTROLOSIS)
    Everyone here will say the 90's because thats when we grew up... (Yes... I voted for the 90's)

That I grew up in the 90s has far less to do with my picking them than the fact that there was a higher number of good releases in the 90s than any other decade. Many of the greatest and most influential releases came earlier but the 90s win out in terms of the sheer number of albums that are worth listening to.

That and black metal.

I'd be willing to bet that many of those picking the 60s and 70s (and 80s to a lesser degree) haven't even really explored the music of those decades beyond the obvious few bands.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.