Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    We're better than a lot and have a much better social scene than pretty much all.

ReputationRep:
    I've heard its really good for Physiotherapy. :unsure:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ferrero Rocher)
    I've heard its really good for Physiotherapy. :unsure:
    I know the girls who do it wouldn't get kicked out of bed.

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry about what others say! Don't forget it's the course what best suits you is the most important thing. Obviously sheffield hallam is not a prestigious university but its the course that matters. If you want to do media, pick a university that allows you to get practical experience!

ReputationRep:
    For the poster who was discussing Media at Hallam, I'm a third year Media student and I'm due to finish my degree in a months time. I've loved it and it's one of the best uni to study media and has some of the best facilities and some great lecturers. I've been lucky enough to get work experience for the likes of MTV, BBC and various newspapers and its literaly a game of building contacts and working damn hard... which is the same for any degree. Obviously for any degree a job doesn't land at your feet. You have to get a bit of work experience under your belt and show some initiative.
    SHU has a lot of alot lecturers who work in the industry such as the BBC which is great. If your wanting to stay up north I'd recommend Hallam for Media and Journalism. Any questions give me a shout.

ReputationRep:
    I have accepted a Hallam unconditional for Politics, the current grade boundaries are CDD but I have ABB, so it's not necessarily everyone applies because it's the only uni they can get into. A lot of my friends are at both Uni of Sheffield and at Hallam. At the end of the day if you study hard and get a good degree it doesnt matter where you go because the degree is only half of student life. Most of my friends see it as they're there to have an amazing time in an amazing city, getting a degree out of having a good time is just a bonus. It's not solely a degree, it's an experience. If you want my opinion, go if you like it, if you dont like it, dont go. All I can say is, I've been loads and I love it.

Ps I know that pretty much everything I've said is completely cheesebally.

ReputationRep:
    As most of our media these days is electronic it is heavily dependent on mathematics. Modern electronics has come from mathematics. Hertz was wandering around with his dipole looking for the waves predicted from Maxwell's equations. The field theory (equations) he confirmed allows us to design electronic and optical fibre communication systems. Heaviside's mathematical description of transmission lines and the Heaviside condition allowed more information to be sent down communication cables and is still relevant to the maximising the bandwidth of optical fibre networks (internet). People like Shockley used mathematical description of the band gap structure of semiconductors to devise two port devices with gain...transistors...and then integrated them...and then transistor switches met up with the mathematics of the likes of Alan Turing to give us computers. Of course we need something to display all this information on so, (ignoring all the vacuum technology relying on the mathematics of motion of electrons in electric and magnetic fields) continuum theory such as the Landau de Gennes or Oseen-Frank equations is used to optimise the motion of liquid crystal molecules in the electric field between electrodes and a solution of Maxwell's equations in a rotating frame of reference used to calculate the optical characteristics (picture!) of the liquid crystal panel. If it has an active backplane then we need to use band gap and circuit theory to design the transistors and electrodes. (There are other display technologies....the mathematics for these is probably comparable to that for LCDs) All of our portable devices rely on the motion of ions between the electrodes in the battery, best described by...diffusion equations.

Without mathematics the only media we would have would still be bits of mashed up wood pulp with lead based ink splattered all over it!

ReputationRep:
    My advice to anyone considering going to uni is this(I studied Photography at Hallam): People have got to stop doing degrees in things they enjoy. It isnt supposed to be fun. Its supposed to be useful. I dont know a single person from media or photography when I was there thats working in that field now. Theyre back at square one, 20 grand worse off. Do a degree in something useful. If you wanna travel, study field engineering or something. If you want to be creative, do it in your own time. You dont need a degree to be successful creatively. Instead, get a degree that brings in the money and provides opportunities. So instead of waiting tables for 5 quid an hour while you make your break as an artist, you can make a solid wage doing something like accounting (for example), while you follow your dream in your spare time.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 14, 2015
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 7 Oct '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.