• PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Linweth)
    No ****.
    Sorry.

I forgot to put '?' !!

ReputationRep:
    i think alot of people here are talking crap.
    A university is good or bad depending on the course and person.
    Im not choosing do to a more highly looked at degree, im doing nutrition because its something iv always wanted to do i chose this over maths in the end because its what i want, if Media is what you want and its right for you, then you do it the degrees are there to be studied, they wouldnt run them if they where "pointless" and as for the university, may not be the best in the country or jumping to the top of leaque tables or whatever, but when i had been looking around, it was the most oustanding for facilities for what i want to do, i think its brill

& to be a complete noob here, what does all this "ex-poly" stuff mean? haha

ReputationRep:
    So so so many snobs on TSR!!

Sheff Hallam is a decent uni. It isn't the best but no way is it he worst.

And as for those who say there is a better uni in the same city. Yes you are right. Yet unless your a snob like all these people on here you will be better at Hallam. Sheff uni is rather stuck up its own arse where as Sheff hallam is happy, down to earth, nice place to be.

ReputationRep:
    Im going to Hallam, but i dont know why people are *****ing about the uni of sheffield... they do mostly different courses so why compare?? obv its a regarded as a better uni, but if it doesnt do the course you want then whats the point in taking it into account?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hollypopz92)
    i think alot of people here are talking crap.
    A university is good or bad depending on the course and person.
    Im not choosing do to a more highly looked at degree, im doing nutrition because its something iv always wanted to do i chose this over maths in the end because its what i want, if Media is what you want and its right for you, then you do it the degrees are there to be studied, they wouldnt run them if they where "pointless" and as for the university, may not be the best in the country or jumping to the top of leaque tables or whatever, but when i had been looking around, it was the most oustanding for facilities for what i want to do, i think its brill

& to be a complete noob here, what does all this "ex-poly" stuff mean? haha
    a polytechnic given university status in 1992 unfortunately

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polytechnic_(United_Kingdom)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jde-tv)
    Im going to Hallam, but i dont know why people are *****ing about the uni of sheffield... they do mostly different courses so why compare?? obv its a regarded as a better uni, but if it doesnt do the course you want then whats the point in taking it into account?
    vast majority of ppl on tsr are rather 'academic' thus don't want to waste their time studying a mickey mouse course. its basically being elitist.

the general view is that if the course isn't academically challenging, its not available at a real university thus isn't worth studying.

also the quality of the students is significantly different. i have 2 friends at sheffied uni and they're quite intelligent. i only know one girl at sheffield hallam and tbh she is quite stupid and a ****

just out of interest what will you be studying?

ReputationRep:
    hi, can anyone help me??
    i am going to Liverpool John Moores University tomorrow for a campus tour of the 'City campus' but i don't know what time i am to get there or where the tours starts from. If anyone has any idea, please please contact me tonight asap! I have e-mailed the University but no reply from them! Help..

I have been given an offer to sudy sport and exercise science at LJMU this coming september 2011

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dee_Dee)
    hi, can anyone help me??
    i am going to Liverpool John Moores University tomorrow for a campus tour of the 'City campus' but i don't know what time i am to get there or where the tours starts from. If anyone has any idea, please please contact me tonight asap! I have e-mailed the University but no reply from them! Help..

I have been given an offer to sudy sport and exercise science at LJMU this coming september 2011
    and you thought the best place to post this would be in a thread titled 'is sheffield hallam regarded as a good university?'......

on another note you do realise there is a better university in the same city

anyhoo good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dee_Dee)
    hi, can anyone help me??

you do know this is the sheffield hallam forum right? not the liverpool john moores
    why don't you phone them up in the morning and ask them? hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by River85)
    You probably aren't going to get many replies other than "no - cost it's a poly", or "it's good, for a poly".

Moving to Sheffield Hallam so informed students with experience of the university can comment.

Not really. Entry requirements are a sign of demand. A university can have modest entry requirements but still be of a high standard. There can be some strong universities who still have modest typical offers, usually because their location is more "isolated" (Aberdeen, Aberwystwyth). As I often say, Aberwystwth ask for 280 UCAS points for politics. Durham ask for AAA, and have done for a number of years. Aberwystwth have as department at least as strong as Durham's, however.

I've been plotting my assult on Aberwystwyth now for days. I may be quicker swimming however.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by torchwood)
    a polytechnic given university status in 1992 unfortunately

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polytechnic_(United_Kingdom)
    What is it about the term Polytechnic that automatically makes a university bad. Surely a university should be judged with raw stats in mind rather than their unchanageable history.

I am aware that most Poly's do fall towards the bottom of the league tables but there are a select few such as Oxford Brooks and Trent University that make it into the top half beating some traditional universities.

Surely you would agree that a university rated in the top 50 by a respected league table makes it a good uni regardless of when it was founded!

ReputationRep:
    and you thought the best place to post this would be in a thread titled 'is sheffield hallam regarded as a good university?'......

on another note you do realise there is a better university in the same city

anyhoo good luck!
    I lol'd @ the red.

but dd obviously isn't aiming to get in to uni of liverpool.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ultimate mashup)
    What is it about the term Polytechnic that automatically makes a university bad. Surely a university should be judged with raw stats in mind rather than their unchanageable history.

I am aware that most Poly's do fall towards the bottom of the league tables but there are a select few such as Oxford Brooks and Trent University that make it into the top half beating some traditional universities.

Surely you would agree that a university rated in the top 50 by a respected league table makes it a good uni regardless of when it was founded!
    i definitely agree with the fact that a university's age doesn't mean its rubbish. i used to go to warwick and its an awesome uni. its never been out of the top 10 in the times, something shared only with oxford, cambridge and imperial, yet its incredibly young

also the tables don't just look at research quality, teaching quality and entry requirements, they also look at student satisfaction which takes into account stuff like nightlife, they also look at staff student ratios, spending...

so a uni that's got poor research, poor teaching and average entry requirements, really good nightlife, lots of funding for the student union and lots of teachers may do better in league tables

but like you said, generally all the good universities are at the top and the expolys are at the bottom

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bestofyou)
    I've been plotting my assult on Aberwystwyth now for days. I may be quicker swimming however.
    haha i guessed they weren't going for liverpool but decided to put it in because tsr is a bit elitist

ReputationRep:
    haha i guessed they weren't going for liverpool but decided to put it in because tsr is a bit elitist
    a bit? lol

ReputationRep:
    vast majority of ppl on tsr are rather 'academic' thus don't want to waste their time studying a mickey mouse course. its basically being elitist.

the general view is that if the course isn't academically challenging, its not available at a real university thus isn't worth studying.

also the quality of the students is significantly different. i have 2 friends at sheffied uni and they're quite intelligent. i only know one girl at sheffield hallam and tbh she is quite stupid and a ****

just out of interest what will you be studying?
    oh im sorry "Mr Academic" are those who chose a university such as Sheffield Hallam not regarded as "academic" then, we are all stupid and quite obviously got into university without working our asses off at our A-Levels...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hollypopz92)
    oh im sorry "Mr Academic" are those who chose a university such as Sheffield Hallam not regarded as "academic" then, we are all stupid and quite obviously got into university without working our asses off at our A-Levels...
    i object to the title of Mr Academic

yes, on tsr, those attending an expoly are not regarded as academic, this does not mean you're stupid, just not particularly intelligent

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrAndrew)
    What is that based upon? It's obviously not one of the worst universities in the world. Media may not be an academic subject, but it's much more relevant to real life than maths (who uses equations in their lives EVER!?). It's relevant to a career in the media.
    I can't believe you've just said that... Explain to me how media is more relevant to real life that maths is?

ReputationRep:
    i definitely agree with the fact that a university's age doesn't mean its rubbish. i used to go to warwick and its an awesome uni. its never been out of the top 10 in the times, something shared only with oxford, cambridge and imperial, yet its incredibly young

also the tables don't just look at research quality, teaching quality and entry requirements, they also look at student satisfaction which takes into account stuff like nightlife, they also look at staff student ratios, spending...

so a uni that's got poor research, poor teaching and average entry requirements, really good nightlife, lots of funding for the student union and lots of teachers may do better in league tables

but like you said, generally all the good universities are at the top and the expolys are at the bottom
    Are you starting 5 year Dentistry having already got a degree from Warwick? I was thinking of putting down Warwick as my firm but found that although it is a top university, some of the departments are significantly weaker than others. I understand it is excellent for Maths/Economics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tommydeaks)
    I can't believe you've just said that... Explain to me how media is more relevant to real life that maths is?
    dude, they're going to sheffield hallam for a reason

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 14, 2015
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.