Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Wow, some serious hate...

Its from what I gather it is one of the better ex-polys, and TSR has a major issue with these...

If it is the best you can get into, then go. It will not count against you, and if you get a 1st or 2:1, then you should have just as many opportunities as someone who went to a better uni on the same course.

ReputationRep:
    Hallam is basically a university for illiterate people with no real prospects in life
    --------------------------------------------

Actually they have higher prospects than most for those studying law and business studies, the facillities there are actually quite up to date and effective. It's the classic subjects like Latin or History that don not do so well here. It's a shame because I wanted to do a history degree at Notts Trent, it has a good reputation and looks a nice place to be- instead I'll probaly settle in chichester

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schroedinger's Pandora)
    My mum kicked me out of her house when I was 17, I had to get a full-time job on top of doing my A2s. I missed most of my lessons (through having to work) and despite trying my best to do it all, I ended up with CCC. If I didn't have to go to that crumby factory every day to pay for my room/ bills/ food (things most of you took entirely for granted at home), I'd have done far better. As a result, I missed out on the best unis, I accepted a place at Hallam in 2004.

I have to admit, I meet some students from some particular disciplines and cringe at how genuinely dumb they are. It makes me feel terrible. I'm the first to declare "I'm at Hallam and I've got my smarts about me", but I've met some major idiots there, I wonder how some of them got to uni at all.

In my subject, we did have some plebs join at the start, but all of them had dropped out by the time we'd finished our first year exams. We were a small group at the end (about 20), and almost all of those I stay in touch with have gone on to much bigger and better things (jobs at big companies, postgrad et cetera), so don't write it off straight away.

It depends entirely on the subject you read. Hallam run courses such as "Events management", and "Hotel Catering" (along with dozens of others), which have hardly any entry requirements and do attract the less-intellectually able (sweeping generalisatin there, obvs not all), but the uni do that because it makes them money. You can't expect a bright future to fall into your lap on the back of those subjects, but they were never intended for that purpose.

Sadly, the net result is that Hallam has a reputation for harbouring dipsh!ts. True for some subjects, certainly not most.
    I am studying a course in the same league as the "events management" etc, ill be studying Public Health Nutrition abit offended at your comment, even people with good grades can do courses like that, im predicted A's and B's for my A-Levels, but im choosing a course that i know im interested in and i can see myself having a career in rather than going for the more "academic" courses, as i was originally considering a maths degree!

so please dont judge us on the degree we have chosen

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hud-tomli)
    obviously i will care about my degree but university isnt just about education. i know it is the main thing but it is also about being independent, looking after yourself and having a good time.
    if you know what i mean.
    You were attacking Sheffield Uni students for only being concerned with their degree, "I think they've only gone to uni for an eduaction." By that assumption, you are also saying that Sheffield Uni students never go out, live at home and have their parents look after them, which literally could not be further than the truth. :rolleyes:

Edit: I see you've now deleted your original comment, hooray for common sense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hollypopz92)
    I am studying a course in the same league as the "events management" etc, ill be studying Public Health Nutrition abit offended at your comment, even people with good grades can do courses like that, im predicted A's and B's for my A-Levels, but im choosing a course that i know im interested in and i can see myself having a career in rather than going for the more "academic" courses, as i was originally considering a maths degree!

i 2nd that! im doing events and i need 280 points... next year its going up to 300! And like some other people have said, Hallam seems to be one of the better 'new' uni's so i dont really see what the problem is :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by torchwood)
    whether you would rather do dentistry or do some crap course at sheffield hallam, you cant deny the fact that my prospects are considerably better than yours. if everyone was as retarded as you then dentistry would probably require CCC and sheffield hallam would ask for AAA, i personally cant see this happening. Maybe, dentistry scares you as its quite an academic course

And yes, if lifting weights is your biggest achievement, than should you really be going to university, maybe you already know this and have subsequently chosen a poor excuse for a university (hallam)

Why are you telling me about your teeth, do you think i care? :confused:
    Actually Sheffield Hallam is one of the best options for my course which is Building Surveying (go on, insult it, I dare you) and if I were to do a course where useless *****s like yourself congregate, I'd more than likely laugh in your face and proceed to get a first because I know what I want in life and I am not some nieve little nobody fresh out of the school of mum and dad.

Lifting weights isn't a major accomplishment, I find it more enjoyable than swanning around the place thinking I am "the ****t" for doing an academic course such as dentistry...LOL! I cannot believe you tried to insult me of all people with the "Oh I am soooo academic" comment. its quite entertaining to come across people like you who are so far up their own arse it is [Victor meldrew] unbelievable![Victor meldrew]

I told you about my teeth because I know for a fact that the likes of me with natural, healthy teeth and gums are a rarity so whilst I am appreciating a building you are delving into a morass of ****, spit and bile commonly known as a dentists regular day job.

You dont know anything about real life boy, I hope it kicks you hard enough so you dont spawn anymore of your ilk to poison this country.

ReputationRep:
    You dont know anything about real life boy, I hope it kicks you hard enough so you dont spawn anymore of your ilk to poison this country.
    ---------------------------------

Spot on, these kind of people have their heads in the clouds, they know nothing about anything

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hollypopz92)

Please don't be offended, I did say it didn't apply to all. I've been at Hallam for 7 years now (BSc now PhD), and i love it as an institution. I also have a lot of experience in these matters. One of my housemates a few years ago was reading "Events Management", and I hate to generalise (really) but on meeting her coursemates and subsequently having them in our house most nights of the week, I was irritated and embarrassed at what shockingly stupid and shallow (not to mention *****y) people uni was harbouring these days. They were all slow, bleached hair, orange skin, fake nails and essentially people who are more at home in an Essex ghetto than at university. She had 7 hours of uni per week and cried over the single, solitary piece of coursework she had at the end of the year.

Just to illustrate, I had to explain to her what "spontaneous" meant, showed her how to use a tin opener, and gave up trying to understand what her laughably illiterate little "notes" said. She wasn't dyslexic either, just thick as fcuk.

People laugh at Hallam because of people like that. That's why I have an aversion to those people and those subjects.

No personal offense intended, although I would strongly urge you to persue a more academic subject for the sake of your job prospects in future.

ReputationRep:
    By the way, "Events management" Lisa's spent the last year managing events for a handsome salary at Thomas Cook. Well, by "events" I mean "package holidays", and by "handsome" I mean "minimum".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schroedinger's Pandora)
    Please don't be offended, I did say it didn't apply to all. I've been at Hallam for 7 years now (BSc now PhD), and i love it as an institution. I also have a lot of experience in these matters. One of my housemates a few years ago was reading "Events Management", and I hate to generalise (really) but on meeting her coursemates and subsequently having them in our house most nights of the week, I was irritated and embarrassed at what shockingly stupid and shallow (not to mention *****y) people uni was harbouring these days. They were all slow, bleached hair, orange skin, fake nails and essentially people who are more at home in an Essex ghetto than at university. She had 7 hours of uni per week and cried over the single, solitary piece of coursework she had at the end of the year.

Just to illustrate, I had to explain to her what "spontaneous" meant, showed her how to use a tin opener, and gave up trying to understand what her laughably illiterate little "notes" said. She wasn't dyslexic either, just thick as fcuk.

People laugh at Hallam because of people like that. That's why I have an aversion to those people and those subjects.

No personal offense intended, although I would strongly urge you to persue a more academic subject for the sake of your job prospects in future.
    haha, i can assure you im not like that! :P apart from the bleached hair, ill own up to that one! but yeah i suppose i know what you mean, those courses that do have low entry points will always attract those who are just choosing to do a degree for the hell off it, however im really excited about my course iv always been interested in nutrition and decided its what i really want to do, and iv chose Hallam because the facilities where amazing! unfortuantly im starting out on this course instead of going straight into dietetics because i never chose to do a science at A-Level which i do kind of regret now! but im still looking forward to starting my course it looks fabs and definitly a step in the right direction for what i want to do

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HARRY PUTAH)
    Actually Sheffield Hallam is one of the best options for my course which is Building Surveying (go on, insult it, I dare you) and if I were to do a course where useless *****s like yourself congregate, I'd more than likely laugh in your face and proceed to get a first because I know what I want in life and I am not some nieve little nobody fresh out of the school of mum and dad.

Lifting weights isn't a major accomplishment, I find it more enjoyable than swanning around the place thinking I am "the ****t" for doing an academic course such as dentistry...LOL! I cannot believe you tried to insult me of all people with the "Oh I am soooo academic" comment. its quite entertaining to come across people like you who are so far up their own arse it is [Victor meldrew] unbelievable![Victor meldrew]

I told you about my teeth because I know for a fact that the likes of me with natural, healthy teeth and gums are a rarity so whilst I am appreciating a building you are delving into a morass of ****, spit and bile commonly known as a dentists regular day job.

i work in a dental surgery and am very familiar with what it involves. i can assure you that healthy teeth and gums aren't a rarity, a significant amount of people see a dentist for cosmetic reasons. also if everyone had healthy teeth, no-one would have broken down roots that need surgicals, there would be no implants or other awesome procedures

i wouldn't say I'm particularly academic, just more than you. you can believe that surveying is better than dentistry or that hallam is better than any Russell group uni but the entry requirements and competition say it all. hallam is an expoly and nothing you can say is going to change that

what makes you so sure i don't know anything about 'real life', how am i poisoning this country? I'm just giving my opinion

ReputationRep:
    i work in a dental surgery and am very familiar with what it involves. i can assure you that healthy teeth and gums aren't a rarity, a significant amount of people see a dentist for cosmetic reasons. also if everyone had healthy teeth, no-one would have broken down roots that need surgicals, there would be no implants or other awesome procedures

i wouldn't say I'm particularly academic, just more than you. you can believe that surveying is better than dentistry or that hallam is better than any Russell group uni but the entry requirements and competition say it all. hallam is an expoly and nothing you can say is going to change that

what makes you so sure i don't know anything about 'real life', how am i poisoning this country? I'm just giving my opinion
    A bit of a generalisation I know, but you do realise that dentistry has a very high sucide rate? I wonder why that is? and I'm not just plucking that from some rumour I heard on the internet; my actual dentist informed me of this. So instead of insulting people for going to what you perceive as a 'lesser' university, maybe you should be thinking about when university is all said and done, when it is all over and you have nothing more than a good 30 years of staring into people's mouth's whether it really matters that much after all where you choose to study your degree. Just saying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Locutus)
    ---------------------------------

Spot on, these kind of people have their heads in the clouds, they know nothing about anything
    a bit hypocritical really as you're the one that wants to go to sheffield hallam :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypocriticaljap)
    Varsity rugby chant from Sheff uni fans

"Give us a D
    Give us a D
    Give us an E
    What you got?

Sheff Hallam's entry requirements..."
    Two E's and a swimming badge...

ReputationRep:

You work in a dental surgery? Good for you, but you know very little about the real world outside of your door when it comes to job/economic reality.

I do believe surveying is better than dentistry, if it means being around less stuck up snobs with a 'holierthanthou' attitude like yourself. You come onto a building site with your attitude and I guarantee the ego you carry around will be well and truly ripped a new one.

I did not say Hallam is better than any Russell group, maybe you should re-sit those 'A' grades you got because instead of English I think you should have gone for philosophy with the amount of crap you make up as you go along.

No **** sherlock about Hallam being an Ex-poly, if all the places like Hallam closed down my course will simply move to a red brick like Birmingham or Manchester, I will just apply to those and I will get in. What do you say then? That Manchester/Birmingham is a crappy uni because a dullard like me got in? lol, I'd bet you'd think twice about it.

In short, get a clue, stop thinking the world revolves around stuck up graduates like yourself and get a life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cunn)
    Two E's and a swimming badge...
    2 guys see another guy drowning in a canal. (true story)

The drowning guy has no swim badges, the 2 others are from hallam who did get swim badges thanks to mamma and papa.

The outcome?

Less snobs. Nature doesn't look kindly on snobs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HARRY PUTAH)
    2 guys see another guy drowning in a canal. (true story)

The drowning guy has no swim badges, the 2 others are from hallam who did get swim badges thanks to mamma and papa.

The outcome?
    Denial of assistance and possible charges related to it.
    So much for Hallam teaching good values.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smophy)
    I'm speaking of my experience. I went to Sheffield Uni and my experience was of people looking down on me. I went with an open mind and no prior judgement. Same for Sheff Hallam but I perceived the students to be much nicer. The same goes for the lecturers. Sheff Uni lecturers were not as friendly, approachable and relaxed as those at Sheff Hallam.

It is my experience and my opinion. I have not been stuck up. I do not think I am better than Sheff Uni students. I simply said that Sheff Hallam appeared to me to be friendlier. I am not a student at either. Rather I am basing my opinion on the experience I have had at both so my opinions are not even biased. Its an observation. Not snobbery by any means.

Your saying that by stating that I believe someone to be a snob I am a snob myself?! So if I call someone racist does that make me racist too? Sorry for bringing up the R word. I have only used it as good example to illustrate my point.
    I completely agree with you. I felt really uncomfortable looking around Sheffield uni and hardly anyone spoke to each other. I looked around Hallam and people were making conversation a lot more. It was so much more relaxed and friendly, not saying Sheffield uni isn't friendly, but I couldn't see myself there at all, even if I could achieve the grades. I found their English department to be quite cold and intimidating, from the design of the building to the atmosphere.

ReputationRep:
    a bit hypocritical really as you're the one that wants to go to sheffield hallam
    --------------------------------------------------
    Hypocritical, er how exactly?

I could get an A and two B's and still decide to go to sheffieldHallam, in fact this is a strong possibility from my grades point of view. Thus proving that I actually know quite a bit, do you not think??????

The reason I do not wish to go to sheffield is mainly because of the snobbish tw8ts that go there including the professors. I'd rather goo to Hllam where the students have actually got some knowledge from outside rather than copying out OCr notes or Edexcel. In fact I can't actually believe that people are calling themselves clever for reading things out of a book and then repeating it. Those kind of people may find themselves in a real situation and think WTF am I supposed o be doing here

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Locutus)
    a bit hypocritical really as you're the one that wants to go to sheffield hallam
    --------------------------------------------------
    Hypocritical, er how exactly?

I could get an A and two B's and still decide to go to sheffieldHallam, in fact this is a strong possibility from my grades point of view. Thus proving that I actually know quite a bit, do you not think??????

The reason I do not wish to go to sheffield is mainly because of the snobbish tw8ts that go there including the professors. I'd rather goo to Hllam where the students have actually got some knowledge from outside rather than copying out OCr notes or Edexcel. In fact I can't actually believe that people are calling themselves clever for reading things out of a book and then repeating it. Those kind of people may find themselves in a real situation and think WTF am I supposed o be doing here
    i got AAAb, this was in 2008 when A*s didn't exist, and its not much of an achievement, your ABB doesn't look too good in comparison, so no you don't 'know quite a bit. btw what were the subjects?

the reason you're saying you don't want to in to sheffield is that you wouldn't get in!

if just by copying text books, you could get better grades, if it was that simple/easy why haven't you managed it?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 14, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.