Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I'm new to this I'm currently writing a personal statement for a Fastrack course with progression onto initial teacher training. I'm 23 and haven't got any A levels but I do have experience in primary school having worked as a teaching assistant for over 12 months. I am looking for advice on how best to sell myself as I'm aware I don't have half the qualifications of other applicants.
    What do you think my chances are of actually gaining a place?
    Any help or guidance would be great!
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    What is this Fasttrack course?
    You need to compare you qualifications to the mandatory requirements set out by the course provider.

If you do not meet their minimum requirements i would think it unlikely you will get on... teaching is very competative (even more so now that numbers have been slashed) so if you're competing with someone with the same experience but they have A Levels and degree - I would think they would be offered thay place.

However, in saying all that I am not familiar with what this fasttrack course is - if it is aimed at people with no A Levels - go for it.

...you could also maybe arrange to meet with someone from the Fasttrack course provider to discuss your potential and chances of gaining a place and to pick their brain about what type of applicant they want.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laura-23)
    Hello, I'm new to this I'm currently writing a personal statement for a Fastrack course with progression onto initial teacher training. I'm 23 and haven't got any A levels but I do have experience in primary school having worked as a teaching assistant for over 12 months. I am looking for advice on how best to sell myself as I'm aware I don't have half the qualifications of other applicants.
    What do you think my chances are of actually gaining a place?
    Any help or guidance would be great!
    Thank you
    Hi
    When applying for a course a little lateral thinking comes in useful. Imagine you are the course provider - they work from funding budgets for each student and then put a course on.
    It’s a business transaction. They want to run a course and cover their costs (maybe turn a profit). SO they need the best candidate that will get them the most money.

They have to predict your behaviour given your history. You tell them your history then they make the prediction about how likely you are to get maximum funding for them. It’s not personal it’s business.
    Therefore you have to prove two things
    1) Will you stay the whole course - they get more money the longer you stay.
    To prove this show where you have belonged or worked at something (anything in years is great). They will be looking at your support network - family etc
    2) will you work – they get more money for better grades
    To prove this show where you have achieved anything with grades, even if its grade 5 clarinet or ECDL or level 2 trampoline.

Also in the interview they will be looking for someone they can work with, often very clever people are hard to work with or get bored with the course and leave.
    I did enrolment for a College for several years and we used the “will they work and will they stay” formula to great success on many courses.
    Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Your personal statement includes: about you, who you are, what you offer to teaching, children, motivation to teach, leadership capabilities & qualities, personal attributes, achievements and why you are suitable for "Fast Track".

Of course the above is a start and you should always follow and supply what the applications asks.

I would have applied for Fast Track, although was on a PGCE course when the programme first came out.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much for your replies and advice
    The course requirements state that ideally you would be educated to A/As level (I have 3 As levels) have GCSE grades C or above in all core subjects and your chosen subject and have relevant work experience. It also guarantees a place on the degree I would like to take.
    I'm unsure about what route to take and I'm aware of mature students getting places on degrees without any A levels.
    Thanks again

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.