The Student Room Group

How do i tell my parents i want to go back to uni even though its a holiday?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I've had this problem my whole three years of being at uni! It's not necessarily that easy to just say 'i'm going back' especially if you know things will kick off and you'll get a hard time.
I got myself a part-time job, which meant that it limited the time I could go back for. Alternatively you could say that you need the library to study, as you can't bring all the books back home you need?
Reply 21
Just say you need to go back for work purposes or you need to be close to the library or something. My parents know I work so much better at uni than at home so don't mind me going back early or whatever.
Reply 22
Original post by mirin?
I'm back at home for a month and i hate it here. I live in a town in the middle of nowhere, literally 20 miles to a big town and i'm losing my mind and feeling a bit homesick (for uni, i've gotten use to the place). I just hate it, there is nothing at all happening here.

Further, i have to stay with my Dad 24/7 since he's on benefits after the business went tits up and he has too much pride to get more qualifications and try to find work. So, i'm left with him moaning and naggng me all day and expecting me to do everything for him. My Mum is the only breadwinner in the household when i'm gone so i feel bad because i'm leaving her and my sister with him.

But literally, i've been back for 2 days and i'm losing my mind. I hate it here so much. How do i break it to them that i want to go back to uni asap?

tell them you have essay/ exam stuff to prepare for and that you need to have constant access to the libraries and professors
Reply 23
tell them you need the library there. and how can your dad claim benefits if your mums working? my mum doesn't work but isn't entitled to anything because of my dad :s-smilie:
Just tell them straight up, you're old enough to make your own decisions. It's not uncommon for students to stay at uni over the holidays.
Original post by mirin?
I'm back at home for a month and i hate it here. I live in a town in the middle of nowhere, literally 20 miles to a big town and i'm losing my mind and feeling a bit homesick (for uni, i've gotten use to the place). I just hate it, there is nothing at all happening here.

Further, i have to stay with my Dad 24/7 since he's on benefits after the business went tits up and he has too much pride to get more qualifications and try to find work. So, i'm left with him moaning and naggng me all day and expecting me to do everything for him. My Mum is the only breadwinner in the household when i'm gone so i feel bad because i'm leaving her and my sister with him.

But literally, i've been back for 2 days and i'm losing my mind. I hate it here so much. How do i break it to them that i want to go back to uni asap?

say you got work you need to do at the univerisity building? thats the excuse i'm using for the holidays
Reply 26
I've always had to go back to uni early at easter (and this time I'm not even going home at all) because they always give me loads of work to do over the holidays, plus revision for exams coming soon. I've got all my work stuff set up at uni, it's quieter and I can go to the library or department if I need to. There's only so much stuff I can take home and it's so comfy there I don't do as much work as I should.

They're my actual reasons, but maybe you could use a couple as an excuse?
Reply 27
Original post by lazyswot
I've always had to go back to uni early at easter (and this time I'm not even going home at all) because they always give me loads of work to do over the holidays, plus revision for exams coming soon. I've got all my work stuff set up at uni, it's quieter and I can go to the library or department if I need to. There's only so much stuff I can take home and it's so comfy there I don't do as much work as I should.

They're my actual reasons, but maybe you could use a couple as an excuse?

Yeah, i'm just going to tell them straight up. Can't stand 4 weeks here.
Reply 28
Lie and say you need to go to 'revise' and get books from the library for your exams

Quick Reply

Latest