The Student Room Group

Why can't people accept that attractiveness is a major part in a relationship...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Lusine
OMG, you are so much like me (or I am so much like you) and I am always in similar situations. I normally get out of it by saying I am seeing someone else, even when I am single. But it doesn't look like an option for you. I think the only thing you can do is keep telling him that you can't be together until you find the right guy and then he will definitely see that you've moved on.

Of course some of the earlier points about not talking to him also make sense. Maybe you could say that you both need to take a break?

And this: "just because I can't sleep with you doesn't mean I can't be friends with you, but you say I'm good in terms of morals and personality but for all you know I could just be playing a long game..." I don't get the second half, but you should totally say that that's your point exactly - we can't have sex, we can be friends :wink: good luck!

I think by the second part he meant "I may not be as moral as you think I am, I might just be playing games to make you think that". It's entirely possible he said that because he thinks that's what I want, an immoral/unpredictable guy :p: but no.

I'm pretty sure he's still holding his hopes up, though I did text him asking if he wanted spaceand he said no, but didn't respond to the part where I said "I'm not going to change my mind, so I don't want you to keep your hopes up that eventually when I get over my ex we'll be able to go on a date" and said there's no "spark" between us, at least not for me. Though he ignored that text and sent a fairly cheerful one back just saying "I'm happy with the status quo at the moment :smile:" meaning he's happy with us being friends. The "at the moment" thing worries me though, he's seemingly not getting the message.
Reply 61
I know how you feel i think the reason you get on so well is becuase you are not attracted to him.so this means you can just hang out with him and not try too hard say what you want.

Does that make sense?
Reply 62
Original post by sassy123
I know how you feel i think the reason you get on so well is becuase you are not attracted to him.so this means you can just hang out with him and not try too hard say what you want.

Does that make sense?

I think that's exactly it. Though it's been getting more awkward recently as he's been trying to make a move for ages. Trying to be subtle but failing, then eventually (obviously) he told me how he felt.
Reply 63
Original post by Anonymous
Ok basically this guy has been giving me signals that he likes me for a while. I've been a good friend to him, he texts me all the time and I reply mostly and we have good conversations and we've been to the cinema a few times. Yes it has been alone but I did try to make clear my intentions to him.

This has been happening for a few months and people have been saying he's clearly interested in me, but I'm just not. I don't find him attractive at all, I wouldn't be able to sleep with him/kiss him genuinely and there are aspects of his personality I don't find attractive (some things we are entirely in other worlds about, not in a good way, and he's confident but not got any self-esteem and to be honest that makes any guy attractive).

Anyway, last night he was out with a group of people I was with and at one point during the night he came over to warn me that this guy was being a complete sleaze and this guy said "Is that *insert my name here*? I'm going to **** her by the end of the year". This started a major argument between my friend and said guy. Then when he left me, later on he came up to me and said "I need to talk to you", took me away to a quiet area and said "I've been thinking this for a while and I don't know if you noticed and chose to ignore it or whether you were completely oblivious. But I think you're wonderful, and we get on really well, and I think if we were to start a relationship we'd work really well as a couple. I've been drafting texts trying to explain the reasons for some of my actions towards you and sometimes when we're out I have to resist the urge to kiss you and honestly you're gorgeous." It was probably the most flattering thing anyone has ever said to me and I do agree we get on really well, but as I said, there is no attraction and at this point I felt entirely vain and superficial, so I said something to him which was also the truth- that I'm still in love with my ex (who is his friend), so it wouldn't be fair.

He told me to think about it, however, so I accepted even though I knew it wasn't going to be a good answer.

So later on I sent him a text saying "honestly, thinking about it won't help" and said that I still loved my ex, and that I didn't think of him that way. This discussion lasted a long time and he said that he understood, and he was upset, but asked me if, when I did get over my ex, that he could at least take me to dinner and try to show we were compatible. I said I wouldn't say that, and this was entirely honest, because I've been in a situation exactly the same to that before and the guy got my hopes up and unfortunately when he was ready to move on, he'd already found someone else and I ended up hurt and we were both confused for a while. I didn't want to do that to someone. However, I explained this and he said "honestly I get that, but why won't you even consider it? Your ex is being a tool and I don't see why you won't try something new. there must be another reason, I'm sick of being friendzoned because people don't see me in 'that way'" and then some other stuff which basically meant that people should stop seeing him in a shallow way. At this point I couldn't be honest with him, that I wasn't attracted to him, because he was going on about his self-esteem and stuff and I didn't want to hurt him.

A friend told me to give him a chance, and when I said I just didn't want to he called me shallow and self-absorbed. I'm not like that at all, but attraction is important in a relationship and why can't I make my own choices? I know people, both guys and girls, complain about people being "shallow" and that "personality matters" all the time, but let someone make their own mind up about who they're attracted to or not without stigmatising it and making them out tobe a complete shallow bitch for it.

Also, the guy keeps mentioning it and trying to put me off my ex/is texting me as much. I don't want to lead him on and I don't want to hurt him, so how do I tell him it's just not going to happen without ruining our friendship entirely?

NO, YOU AREN'T BEING SHALLOW. Yes, attraction is important and you don't have to 'give this guy a chance'. You're not a charity or a government-run emotional report service.

But you have to tell him the truth because you're being crueller by stringing it out like this. I'm sorry but it's ridiculous because as things stand, the poor guy still has hope.
Reply 64
Original post by Roloqueen
NO, YOU AREN'T BEING SHALLOW. Yes, attraction is important and you don't have to 'give this guy a chance'. You're not a charity or a government-run emotional report service.

But you have to tell him the truth because you're being crueller by stringing it out like this. I'm sorry but it's ridiculous because as things stand, the poor guy still has hope.

Yeah exactly, I'm not some sort of emotional prostitute, I'm not going to offer my services to a guy for charity.

I've told him, though. He just doesn't seem to be accepting no for an answer and said he's tired of being friendzoned.
Reply 65
i disagree. as i get older, i have found there have been a couple of guys wh i wouldnt have looked twice at but once i got to know them through work or other boringness, they were very cute and i would date them. but if i met them on a night out i wouldnt even bother speaking to them that much. you got to get to know these dudes. unless they are grossly obese with bad hygeine and sweat and body odor, or severe acne only in these extremes when they physiclly digust you is it ok to refuse point blank
Reply 66
Original post by shinytoy
i disagree. as i get older, i have found there have been a couple of guys wh i wouldnt have looked twice at but once i got to know them through work or other boringness, they were very cute and i would date them. but if i met them on a night out i wouldnt even bother speaking to them that much. you got to get to know these dudes. unless they are grossly obese with bad hygeine and sweat and body odor, or severe acne only in these extremes when they physiclly digust you is it ok to refuse point blank

He is overweight, and though he's trying to lose weight other than that he's not attractive.

Yes I accept there are those guys who are just cute and you wouldn't look twice in a normal situation but this is a guy I just could never find attractive. Also I do imagine the fact I've had a long term relationship with his friend and dated 2 other people he knows puts me off.
Reply 67
people do realise this you fool... how often do you hear people say my g/f or b/f is a minger!!!!
Reply 68
Original post by dipless
people do realise this you fool... how often do you hear people say my g/f or b/f is a minger!!!!

Erm. read the thread before you go off on a rant about how "people do realise this".

I was talking about a) how some people don't, and b) how it is sometimes considered shallow.

You're the fool here.
Reply 69
Original post by o Rebecca o
Give him a chance.

I can understand how looks can be important but he sounds like a really nice guy.

Go on a few dates with him, and if it doesn't work out then at least he would be happy to have been given the chance....and you can definitely reassure yourself that he isn't the one for you.

Maybe when you get to really know him and he treats you really well, you could end up falling for him.

Just don't dismiss him without giving him a chance.

No. That is the stupid thing too. Just stick to your ground OP, tell him it won't happen. Else he might keep thinking something may happen. You might lose his friendship though. Imagine if the situation were reversed - some guy rejected you and you really liked him, could you really stay as close to him as before?
Reply 70
Original post by Tw1x
No. That is the stupid thing too. Just stick to your ground OP, tell him it won't happen. Else he might keep thinking something may happen. You might lose his friendship though. Imagine if the situation were reversed - some guy rejected you and you really liked him, could you really stay as close to him as before?

I've been in a similar situation to him before, only difference was this guy and I got with eachother a couple of times, went on a date and were texting eachother for ages then he said nothing could happen, he had good reasons and we both expected it from the start but it crushed me and he felt crushed for me. I liked this guy a LOT, but it couldn't and wouldn't happen so we distanced ourselves for a while but became friends again and went out as friends to a jazz bar.

I realise that's not always going to happen though, it just frustrates me that I can't be as good friends with him anymore for the danger of leading him on.
I think looks would play 10-15% in attractiveness and the remaining percentage is based on personality, humour, interests and intelligence. If they're compatible with most of those factors, including looks, then they're most likely to be attracted to each other.

It's always better being with someone who is level with you on all of those factors though imo, because if you're with someone who is too good looking for your mediocre looks then you'll always think that they're too good for you, likewise with someone very attractive, they may think that they could do a little better. It's not always the case but it is a general assumption.

You need a combination of both though. I've been attracted to people in the past from looks first but after I had gotten to know them a bit more I didn't feel any connection simply because our personalities weren't clicking. In another scenario I've thought someone was quite nice looking and chatting to them more had made me realise how similar we were and I see their good features that maybe I hadn't noticed before and how they could maybe enhance their looks.

I'm average looking so would hate to go with some hot guy and even though I like this guy who I'd regard as perfect for me, he's too good looking and makes me feel that I'm not good enough for him.
(edited 13 years ago)
You are shallow and self absorbed. Get over it. But it's good you're not stringing him along. Kudos for that. He shouldn't be friends with you when he feels that way
Reply 73
I've been in a similar situation to him before, only difference was this guy and I got with eachother a couple of times, went on a date and were texting eachother for ages then he said nothing could happen, he had good reasons and we both expected it from the start but it crushed me and he felt crushed for me. I liked this guy a LOT, but it couldn't and wouldn't happen so we distanced ourselves for a while but became friends again and went out as friends to a jazz bar.

I realise that's not always going to happen though, it just frustrates me that I can't be as good friends with him anymore for the danger of leading him on.

Well there you go then. It sucks for both of you, but leave the poor guy to lick his wounds clean and get over you.
Reply 74
Original post by Dude Where's My Username
You are shallow and self absorbed. Get over it. But it's good you're not stringing him along. Kudos for that. He shouldn't be friends with you when he feels that way

Sorry, how the **** am I shallow and self-absorbed? Did I say at any point "I'm way better looking than him"? No. I just don't find him attractive and I think that's not a good idea when you're asking someone to enter a sexual relationship with you. I'm also concerned about HIM here, not myself. how am I self-absorbed in any way?
People generally won't admit such an obvious fact for not wanting to appear shallow. But it's the truth. At a basic level yeah.

To another extreme, if you're male and straight, if this girl:

who's quite stereotypically unattractive, especially in this photo, asked you out on a date and was really nice and you got along well, would you think there was any chance of you changing your mind? If there was no chance of you changing your mind and becoming attracted to her, would you get her hopes up and accept a date? Even if you had a brilliant friendship and it's possible leading her on would destroy it?

Obviously the guy isn't THIS level of unattractive, but the attractive switch in my mind, when I see him, is just "off".

:unimpressed: I wasn't sure what to make of you until this post: I've now narrowed you down to either a troll or a ****.
Reply 77
Well, physical attractiveness would surely be of significant importance for sex, but surely not for a relationship?
Reply 78
By the way, I recently had a dream in which I had sex with a guy I found really repulsive because I felt sorry for him, and I can tell you that it was extremely unpleasant. Thanks unconscious, lesson learnt.
Reply 79
Original post by Chucklefiend
:unimpressed: I wasn't sure what to make of you until this post: I've now narrowed you down to either a troll or a ****.

Why am I a ****? I'm certainly not a troll, and I don't see anything wrong with what I've said, I'm being honest. Would YOU go out with someone who you weren't attracted to at all?

Original post by effofex
Well, physical attractiveness would surely be of significant importance for sex, but surely not for a relationship?

Sorry, but I'm 20 and he's 22. How would any relationship at this age not involve sex at some point? What would I do, even if we got a few months down the line and only then was sex mentioned (somehow, with a horny young man), would I have to say "really sorry, I'm happy to be in a relationship with you but can't sleep wiht you, I don't find you physically attractive enough".

It's important for more than a friendship, in my eyes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending