Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I'm kinda stuck on this question:

Let S_1,S_2 be subspaces of \mathbb{R}^n and let S_1\not={0},S_2\not={0}

(i) Is S_1\cap S_2 a subspace?

(ii) Prove that  S_1\cup S_2 is a subspace if, and only if  S_1\subset S_2 or S_2\subset S_1

I've managed to do part (i), and prove the "only if" part of (ii), although I'm struggling on the "if" part of part (ii). I'm given the hint:

if S_1\not \subset S_2, S_2\not \subset S1 consider any vectors  e_1\in S_1\setminus S_2,e_2\in S_2\setminus S_1, and prove that e_1+e_2\not \in S_1,e_1+e_2\not \in S_2, hence e_1+e_2\not \in S_1\cup S_2.

My problem is proving that the sum doesn't lie in S_1 or S_2. Could anyone point me in the right direction?
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    If e_1 + e_2 \in S_1 then since e_1 \in S_1 we must have (e_1 + e_2) - e_1 \in S_1 (as it's a subspace), and then... [do the same with S_2 and derive a contradiction from here].

cheers ...i had a feeling thered be some sort of contradiction, just didn't know how to go about it.

Out of curiosity, why does this require S_1 \not= {0}, S_2 \not= {0}?

If one of them was ={0}, wouldn't that just imply that S_1 \cap S_2 = {0} which is a subspace, and S_1 \cup S_2 = whichever one isn't equal to 0 (or 0 if they're both 0) and thus also a subspace?
How are you feeling about your exams?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.