Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

(Original post by Nickyy)
    I slacked my GCSE grades and now I'm paying for it. Currently wish to study at a top university, predicted AAAA (bio, chem, maths, further maths) and hoping to do physics AS and A2 in one year, next year, during my A2s (carrying on all but further maths to A2). This may seem (modesty aside) impressive, but my GCSE grades aren't as up to scratch unfortunately.

I received A*A*A*AAABBBDD at GCSE, which I know isn't a bad set of GCSEs, but I don't think it's up to the standards of top universities. Beating around the bush aside, how likely are my chances of sensibly applying to places such as Imperial and Warwick and being accepted, or do my GCSE grades not shine enough? Are there universities that swear by GCSEs for their applicants (those I should avoid), and some others which do not consider GCSEs strongly as part of an application at all?

All help is greatly thanked!

EDIT: About the GCSE grades, more concerned if they're Imperial/Warwick standard? Don't wanna sound like a ***** whining about 3A*s and 3As, I'm happy personally but idk if top universities would be happy with them. Also, I'm looking to do biomedical engineering/engineering related courses (aeronautics caught my eye in the Imperial prospectus!), hence why I'm putting emphasis on doing full physics next year
    What did u get the D's in? And please don't think that your GCSEs are low cos they really arent.

Hi i got 10 A*s at GCSE, can i still apply for any university?

(Original post by Wa 007)
    Hi i got 10 A*s at GCSE, can i still apply for any university?
    you taking the pis* mate?

I think those GCSEs would be fine for anything other than medicine, tbh.

But please, don't call them 'low' GCSEs, when over 50% of GCSE candidates fail to get 5 grades at C or above.

(Original post by Kareir)

I got AAABBBBBBC at our equivalent of GCSEs, and I got warwick and imperial offers. Bad? Hardly.

(Original post by 1ILF234)
    Hi, I got much poorer GCSEs, only 1 A*, couple of As and the rest Bs and Cs and I got an offer from Imperial etc,

In my opinion, it is a really strong personal statement that is important..why you are perfect for their course..previous experience and your outstanding qualities.

Go for it..or you will regret it

Good luck
    I'm thinking off applying to Economics at Warwick or UCL. Would you say I have a chance with GCSES very similiar to you and predicted AAA?

(Original post by theseeker)
    I'm thinking off applying to Economics at Warwick or UCL. Would you say I have a chance with GCSES very similiar to you and predicted AAA?
    I am also applying for Economics
    I have A*A*A*A*AAAAAA at GCSE
    and currently AAB, prediction is likely to be A*AA and I feel like if I were to apply to Warwick it would be a waste of a choice as I would most likely get rejected
Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.