Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If you/your girlfriend got pregnant, how would people around you react? Watch

Abort! Abort! Abort!

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, boyfriend would sit me down for the 'are we keeping it' talk, and if the answer was yes, prose.
    My stepmother would probably faint, his mother would drag me off to see a doctor as soon as she could get her hands on me.
    Friends would probably be happy for us, if a bit confused, as we're both very 'sensible' people

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't tell anyone but my bf, close friends. I would want to abort it, my bf already knows this. I do want children when im older though, but once i've lived my life to the extent i am happy with it.

ReputationRep:
    I am married and my husband would support me totally in whatever we decided to do, but as far as I know we would keep it, I really don't like the idea of abortion although I am pro-choice. My husband, family and friends would be a bit shocked because they know we don't want to start a family just yet and we're not really in a good enough financial position to do so anyway, but they would also be pleased and supportive.

ReputationRep:
    (Throws weight-loss brochure behind sofa when Girlfriend walks in), "I'm pregnant..." (Me) "Oh thank God..."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prescilla)
    Nobody would even know because I would get an abortion too. But if I couldn't for some strange reason. Well, my parents would probably just shout that I have always been a disappointment and that I'm just too stupid to act right. My friends would probably say that they never thought that I would be that stupid and that they thought that I hated kids. Well... There has been a few pregnancies in our school but people have still gossiped.
    So you are always a disappointment?

ReputationRep:
    Abortion. Everyone would say that. I'm not ruining my life. They would agree and support me.

ReputationRep:
    Boyfriend -
    '......y'what, now? you been cheatin' on me? it surely can't be mine, we haven't even had sex yet!'
    i'd probably then ask him what course of action he intends to take, to which he might reply '....but.... my penis.... it hasn't... we haven't..... (boyfriend goes silent)'

Family -
    'what?! i thought you were still a virgin! EMERGENCY FAMILY MEETING'

Friends -
    'it's like.... a 21st century remake of the story of virgin mary unspooling before my eyes'

Teachers -
    'a piece of advice from me to you, dovile. *deep intake of breath*.....remember that you have deadlines to meet. okay, class dismissed!'

ReputationRep:
    You know what, I really don't know. I can't imagine it.

That said, I can't see my 'close' family flying off the handle or anything. But then, they never fly off the handle...

EDIT: Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention it's probably more likely that my virginity will grow back than that I will get pregnant in the coming months. Unless I get seduced by a french man. Hmm..

ReputationRep:
    I'd be hailed as a medical miracle, considering that I'd got a girl pregnant with no sperm or penis involved :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    They'd be ecstatic.

ReputationRep:
    My parents I know would be disappointed. My dad would go mental and would want to know exactly who the guy that knocked me up is and probably where he lived.

Friends, Idk, probably shocked for one thing (because I'm a virgin and it would be so unlike me to do something like get pregnant by accident, I'd be very careful in situations like that) and maybe disappointed as well.

Of course I have no idea how my bf would react seeing as I don't have one! But I'd like to thing that whoever is my bf they'll support me in whatever decision I decided on.

I mean in the end I'm sure everyone would be happy for me but they'd be glad that it wasn't them having a baby at such an age as mine (18). My friend got pregnant when she was 17 and gave birth after she turned 18 and whilst I was happy for her I was just glad that I wasn't in her situation. It was different for her because the baby wasn't an accident, she was actually planned!, but still...yikes!

If I did ever get into a situation like that from say now until I finish Uni in '14 (so up until the age of 21) I wouldn't think to even contemplate not having an abortion. I would get it sorted asap. I don't want to have a baby before I'm 26 so if I got pregnant in the next 8 years I'd abort for sure.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Everyone would stand by me i think although im sure theyd not be too impressed at first... but right now id be pretty devastated too cos theres so much else i want to do with my life before that

ReputationRep:
    My ex and I said we'd get rid of it.

Now I'm approaching 20 I'd probably be more inclined to keep it. I have more knowledge to pass on to him/her.
    I'd never do anything without mutual agreement of my partner though.

I think it really depends where I am in my life.

ReputationRep:
    My family would be very supportive, my dad might give me the silent treatment for a bit but he'd come round!
    My friends would probably be really excited, although at first they might tell me I'm stupid for getting pregnant while at uni :|
    I don't have a boyfriend so I do not know the unlucky sod who will fertalise my seed yet, but I'm sure he'll be nice :p:

ReputationRep:
    My parents would freak out and be absolutely shocked, and then be very, very disappointed in me. I know they'd support me whatever my choice was in the end, but... yeesh. Definitely not going to let that happen!

ReputationRep:
    Well I don't have a bf, but take that out the equation, I think my friends would be happy for me - they all know how broody I am and have been for years (doesn't mean i'm going to go out and have a kid anytime soon).

I think my Mum would be disappointed and worried because she had me and my brother by the time she was 19 (my age). Though she and my Dad can't really comment because they weren't careful themselves, they found out they were expecting me, 3 weeks after they got together and I was born exactly 9 months to the day they got together (I was born 8 weeks early). So yeah, its not like they could lecture me.

My Gran actually I think would be worried and shocked but supportive.

But meh, its not going to happen!

ReputationRep:
    I'd get rid of it ASAP and nobody would know. I can't bear the thought of having to tell my family I was pregnant.

ReputationRep:
    When I was still at uni :-

My parents probably would have killed me

The girls I used to date, they probably won't be too happy either if I had made them pregnant and their parents would have killed me if they had known I had deflowered their daughter.

Friends, most likely they would tell me what a stupid idiot I am, but probably they would be supportive about it.

After I started working :-

One of my biggest fears was getting 2 women pregnant at the same time, thankfully no matter how drunk I was, I always knew how to use a condom.

Parents, they probably won't have been thrilled I made a stupid mistake and would be rather disappointed after all the education I would make such a mistake.

Friends, well we are mostly adults so they probably won't be judgemental about it other than some of the more religious ones.

Previous gfs, there were a few who would have loved it as they all wanted a commitment, the rest, they were too career focused and would have aborted it immediately.... their parents, more than likely they would have ensured I married their daughters....quite a few wanted me to marry their daughter but and the last one I thought was of wife material, but then I was 2-timing her.

Then I met the girl who I later married. She was the first ever I experienced without a condom.

When it first happened.... I was so ****ing terrified and was rather lost in all the what-ifs, but didn't dare to ask her. But she knew I was feeling all terrified about that first time and she was enjoying every moment of it.....LOL.

If she did get pregnant at that time, my parents wouldn't have cared all that much.

She? She would not have forced me to do anything I didn't want, but she certainly wouldn't have aborted it.....she is a pro-lifer. Her mum probably wouldn't have cared.

Friends? Most likely most of them would be rather surprised I could make such a mistake.

ReputationRep:
    I thought everyone would pretty much disown me/hate me/want nothing to do with me. Thought my boyfriend would be on the first flight to Japan. Thought my friends would shout at me...

Reality is, everyone was supportive, if not a bit shocked at first. My boyfriend has been amazing, my mum has been too. I still can't get over how great my family are being tbh.
    I'm so excited

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 5, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.