Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

If you/your girlfriend got pregnant, how would people around you react? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chemical_bex)
    I thought everyone would pretty much disown me/hate me/want nothing to do with me. Thought my boyfriend would be on the first flight to Japan. Thought my friends would shout at me...

Reality is, everyone was supportive, if not a bit shocked at first. My boyfriend has been amazing, my mum has been too. I still can't get over how great my family are being tbh.
    I'm so excited

Just wanted to say, Good Luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abisolaay)
    Just wanted to say, Good Luck!
    Thanks
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    If I got pregnant? haha. My mother would be thrilled. My best mate would be jealous. My dad, would be like "not another one?!" and my husband and I would be....well not so thrilled, because we've got THREE already and we don't want any more. We're happy raising the ones we've got.
    I'd never abort though, we'd muddle along somehow, but put it this way.....I'd better not get bloody pregnant because 6 years of sleepless nights is quite enough thank you very much

When I first got pregnant though, with baby number 1, I thought that my parents would be less than pleased, and would think that I was too young, but actually they were happy for me. I was 21 at the time.

ReputationRep:
    I would be shocked, I never knew I had a girlfriend (or had done anything that had led to a baby being born as well in fact).

Parents and friends, might be a bit miffedI kept this girlfriend a secret.

ReputationRep:
    Boyfriend- I'm sure he'd support me.
    Family- I think my mum would kill me
    Friends- I'm pretty sure they wouldn't disown me, probably fight amongst themselves to be godparents

Boyfriends Dad - "You either get rid, or drop out of uni and support her"
    Boyfriends Mum - "That's your fathers fault for bringing you up wrong" (they're split up, bf see's his mum twice a yr if he's lucky)
    Boyfriends Stepmum - "Oohh another child for me to fuss over"
    Boyfriend - "Er..."

My Mum - "I'm disappointed in you, but here's some cash to either abort or set yourself up"
    My Dad - "Where's (insert bfs name here) so i can kill him for ruining your life"
    My brother - "My sister had sex?"

Best Friend and her family - "We're no longer friends, no matter what you decide" (they're religious freaks, so are all no sex before marriage and also anti-abortion. I'm also the "sensible" typ)

Other Best Friend - "Can i be godmum?"

Other Friends - "Gratz, here's some clothes for it"

I'm 15 weeks pregnant. I'm also 21, a homeowner and getting married this summer.

Fiance: He was a little surprised to say the least! It was a complete accident and whilst we've talked about having kids, we always thought it would be in a few years time. That said, he's very, very happy and excited about it - comes with me to all my appointments/scans etc and can't wait for the baby to be here

Family: OHs family are over the moon - they had their first daughter when OHs mum was 21 and are very traditional family types. OH will be 30 later this year and they're really pleased he's settling down and starting a family now.

My family are not so great - my mum and my brother think it's great whereas my dad has prettymuch had a breakdown. According to him, my life is now ruined. He's said a lot of nasty things about this all and tried to push me into having an abortion. He's very embarassed that I'm pregnant - I think he thinks of me as being about 13.

Friends: Those who know have been really great about it, really congratulatory and really interested

ReputationRep:
    I think everyone (including me) would go around looking like this :lolwut: for a long time after I told them

ReputationRep:
    Well firstly, my reaction would be "Get to the doctor quick and schedule an abortion". I'd probably go to the doctor before I told my fiance just so I wouldn't panic him when I told him, I'd know it was sorted and I could reassure him straight away (and no, before I'm pulled on this, I don't mean I would have the abortion before telling him). We discuss daily how much we never want kids. It would just be the worst thing that could happen to me *shudder*

My parents would NOT be impressed and my mum would worry constantly about how to tell my granny (religious). They'd think I should wait a few years until I was settled into a good job, was married and had my own place. My aunties would think it's too soon as well but they'd be excited of a kid in the family as it got closer. They'd all be supportive eventually.

Brother - I'm really not sure, I don't think he'd be too impressed but not that fussed either way. I don't see/speak to him much He'd probably like to think that I'd come home more often if I had a kid.

Friends - they'd be supportive, one of them was mentioning what my kids would look like the last time I was home So yeah, she'd be excited. My other best friend would be happy but realise it'd be hard on me. And my friend who lives nearer me would probably be excited too, she seems really maternal!

ReputationRep:
    You actually got laid?

^^ this is all I'd hear off my mates

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MutantGecko)
    no one would ever know... id get an abortion straight away.
    This - my gf would get rid of it and we simply wouldnt tell people, its none of thier business

ReputationRep:
    8 - 10 years in the future, when the bf and I are both earning, and hopefully working less insane shifts than when we start working, then I'd probably keep it.

Until then, I'd tell my bf and close friends, and procure a hasty abortion.
    If it was the product of a ONS and I didn't know the guy, then I wouldn't tell him. I'd probably tell him if I'd was friends with him, but tell him it was being aborted and that he had little to no choice in the matter.

Probably wouldn't tell my parents or brother unless I was keeping it; I'm fairly sure they know that I have sex but we don't talk about it.
    Definitely wouldn't be telling my extended family, they're all quite religious.

ReputationRep:
    If I got pregnant my mum would go mental I think I don't no why but I don't think she'd approve of me having a baby at the age of 19, even though she was 21 when she had my sister.
    My friends would be happy for me I think, but then they'd think I was the same as the other 3523 girls who were in my year and have had kids, not gone to university and haven't got any career options.
    Seeing babies makes me broody and my boyfriend, but I think he'd be completely different if I turnt round and told him I was pregnant.

I'd like to get university out of the way and have the qualification before even considering having a baby.

ReputationRep:
    Only option:

http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thum...oat-hanger.jpg

boyfriend is pro choice. he doesn't want a child atm. even though i'm against abortion. he said he was old enough for it not to be that much of a problem though. he is in his early 20s.

my parents would be disappointed. my dad and mum would cry. after a while they'd accept it and help me out. but doubt i'll ever get past a certain distance from them for a good while.

friends. will most definitely gossip, laugh, talk about me behind my back. i've seen them do it other girls who got pregnant young.

ReputationRep:
    The real answer? Peers would call the girl a slut and I'm not sure about the guy - it depends on the crowd he hangs with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Dreaming*)
    In b4 "I can't get my hand pregnant"
    why so many negs? twas hilarious +1

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 5, 2011
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.