Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have received offers from Uni of arts london (CCW) and Loughborough Uni to study art foundation. I'm really struggling to choose between the two. Does anyone know anything about these courses and unis that might help me to make my decision?

ReputationRep:
    Both good. CCW is perhaps the most renown (being the UAL). Numbers are going to be big with 750 on the course in total. So not sure how much tutor time will be given. Also as it's a new course, there are bound to be teething problems.

London has so many resources though, it's a great opportunity.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not so worried about the area the uni is in, I live near London anyway so I'll always be able to come home on weekends if i need resources.
    I agree about the 750 thing though! do you know how many are at loughborough and what the student/tutor ratios are?

ReputationRep:
    i know two people in this situation, both have chosen loughborough
    i'm going to ccw though

ReputationRep:
    Do you know what these decisions are based on?

ReputationRep:
    my one friend has 'fallen in love with the campus' and she likes that it's smaller and actually on a university with people doing other subjects
    and the other one likes it because it's smaller than ccw

ReputationRep:
    what happens if you accept the offer on the little slip/letter you are sent. Send it back to them and then later down the line pull out? Do you think many people do this? Do you think you get black listed>?

ReputationRep:
    i'm really not sure, i know my friend is thinking of doing this
    the only thing is i thinkk it'd be really unfair on people on waiting lists etc

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I originally applied to CCW and Loughborough and in the end I accepted Loughborough and cancelled my CCW interview. CCW looked amazing and the course covered what I wanted but the cost of doing a foundation in London is seriously high! And someone's already said that its a new course and there might be problems, as well as the amount of people they're taking in. Loughborough takes in about 150 I thought? I could be wrong though, you could email admissions and check =) It also has a really good reputation, the campus is really nice, facilities are great, its a broad course and the cost of living there is so much better =p
    I think that both places are really different though and it depends on which place you like better, the course and where you can see yourself.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm from Loughborough and I've heard it's around 170 students for foundation. I've recently applied to Goldsmiths for history of art, so in the teeniest chance that I get in, I'll be one of them people pulling out the foundation course for next October.
    Apparently it's a good school of art, but as I live here, I'm biased and bored of the town, so I'll let you decide if you'd prefer to come here :]

ReputationRep:
    what happens if you accept an offer (for foundation) and then later pull out for some reason? Do people do this? Or will you be black listed?

ReputationRep:
    My art teacher has said that people do this sometimes as you can't help it. I think that as long as you have the decency to tell them and allow a reasonable amount of time before the course starts, you can't get into too much trouble. Some have simply not turned up without a word which is just rude I guess?

ReputationRep:
    hmm... lots to think about here! thank you all i'm considering accepting both as well, but it does worry me that there might be trouble if they found out, then again, i cant find any rule anywhere that says we cant accept two places!?!
    i think i'm leaning towards loughborough now though... but still undecided.

ReputationRep:
    Hey sorry to be coming in late onto the thread but I wholeheartedly agree that Loughborough is simply AMAZING! I've accepted my offer for the foundation already, and I simply can't wait! The reasons when I was applying I ruled out all London unis was because:
    *living expenses are too high
    *there are far too many people on the courses, like someone above said 750?!?! that's insane.
    *I really didn't want to be constantly surrounded by people who are all arty, I wanted diversity and mix with other people on different courses

loughborough is a really incredible, diverse place but the "choice is all yours!"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by r05hni)
    Hey sorry to be coming in late onto the thread but I wholeheartedly agree that Loughborough is simply AMAZING! I've accepted my offer for the foundation already, and I simply can't wait! The reasons when I was applying I ruled out all London unis was because:
    *living expenses are too high
    *there are far too many people on the courses, like someone above said 750?!?! that's insane.
    *I really didn't want to be constantly surrounded by people who are all arty, I wanted diversity and mix with other people on different courses

loughborough is a really incredible, diverse place but the "choice is all yours!"

seconded i accepted my offer a few weeks ago and i am so excited about it!

btw, does anyone know how many people applied, or how many on average apply each year? im just curious to know what my chances of getting in were but i couldn't find the statistics anywhere... thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you those are definitely important things to think about Have the people who have accepted Loughborough for this coming year been sent any information about accommodation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robyn_123)
    seconded i accepted my offer a few weeks ago and i am so excited about it!

btw, does anyone know how many people applied, or how many on average apply each year? im just curious to know what my chances of getting in were but i couldn't find the statistics anywhere... thanks in advance!
    Same I'm so excited!! If I remember correctly from the portfolio day, it's something like around 600 apply for 175 places so our chances were like 1:3.

(Original post by Katharine)
    Thank you those are definitely important things to think about Have the people who have accepted Loughborough for this coming year been sent any information about accommodation?
    with accommodation aren't we gonna be sent a pack about it or be sent an email at the beginning of May? we'll be able to apply for accommodation I think at the beginning of June. I'm leaning towards Butler Court!

ReputationRep:
    If I'm staying in Loughborough for foundation then I'm pretty excited about meeting you excited people :]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angelala)
    If I'm staying in Loughborough for foundation then I'm pretty excited about meeting you excited people :]
    Yay! I just wanna pick my accommodation already lol . Will you be staying on campus or living at home?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by r05hni)
    with accommodation aren't we gonna be sent a pack about it or be sent an email at the beginning of May? we'll be able to apply for accommodation I think at the beginning of June. I'm leaning towards Butler Court!
    thanks i think butler court looks good too, but i haven't looked through all of them properly yet! are there specific ones that foundation people can/can't apply to?

haha yeah if i choose loughborough (which i think I probably will) then i'm excited to meet you people too

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 12, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.