fundamental groups Watch

jdavi
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Please can someone explain to me why a torus minus a point is homotopy equivalent to the figure 8 curve, i.e. the wedge sum of two circles.

More generally can someone explain why a torus minus n points is homotopy equivalent to the wedge sum of n+1 circles.

Any help would be much appreciated!
nuodai
Badges: 14
Report 7 years ago
For the case with one point removed, consider stretching the hole so that it goes around a circular cross-section of the torus except at a point. That is, you have a doughnut with one slice in it, except that it's still hanging on at a point. Now stretch the resulting slit until it goes around the rest of the torus. What you're left with is a "horizontal" circle and a "vertical" circle which are attached at the point, i.e. the wedge sum of two circles.

Think about how you can generalise this to n points removed.
SsEe
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by jdavi)
Please can someone explain to me why a torus minus a point is homotopy equivalent to the figure 8 curve, i.e. the wedge sum of two circles.

More generally can someone explain why a torus minus n points is homotopy equivalent to the wedge sum of n+1 circles.

Any help would be much appreciated!
In words? Pff. Um... Think about a square with the edges identified. Expand the hole so all you're left with is the circumference of the square (with identification). Then do the identification and see what you get.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18

Who is most responsible for your success at university

Mostly me (769)
90.36%
Mostly my university including my lecturers/tutors (82)
9.64%

Watched Threads