Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    High Mass spectrometry:
    On a mass spectrum of a high mass spectrometry, the abundance of ions wouldn't be relative but exact, right?

what does this mean? Ions strike a detector, accept electrons, lose their charge and create a current which is proportional to the abundance of each ion.

So lets say the current is 10A will the abundance me 10%?

Also, explain m/z to me? why is mass always 1?

Lastly, acceleration - are the positive ions propelled by a positive plate, focused to form of a beam of ions and them attracted to a negative plate to keep it accelerating? My chemistry doesn't mention a positive and a negative plate..just a negative plate...
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Miss Understood)
    m/z mass is not always 1 - it is as accurate as the mass spectrometer and could have 16 decimal places (or more)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miss Understood)
    I think you mean charge here, not mass. Mass depends on the species/molecule/fragment you are looking at (which indeed is the point!). Charge, however, is usually 1 (since it's generally the ionisation of just one electron)

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 5, 2011

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.