The Student Room Group

Why do people date, move in, have a baby, then marry?

I mean, this person I know had been dating his then-wife for about 10 years, they had a baby, then got married 4 years later. I'm not against people having kids etc beforehand, just wondering what they achieve by marrying when they are already living together like a married couple..?!?
Reply 1
*then-girffriend, I mean.
Reply 2
give themselves possible financial security in the wake of a break-up???

give the child a secure, what's deemed normal everyday homelife by having parents whom are married??

who knows, just the way to cookie crumbles i supppose
No idea, except for the financial gains I see no benefits. My dad has been with his girlfriend for over 10 years and had 3 kids, they're stronger than a lot of married couples I know of.
Reply 4
well I know people who have saved money for a wedding but then wanted a baby and thought the money would be better spent on their child, maybe in the future if they had money saved again they might spend it on a wedding
People get married for a variety of reasons. Sometimes they want the legal benefits, sometimes they want to make their relationship "official", sometimes they want to make a public declaration of their eternal love and devotion to each other, sometimes they want to celebrate their relationship with all their friends and family. None of these reasons have anything to do with whether they already have children or live together. What does that have to do with it? :lolwut:

Why does it need to "achieve" something? What exactly is "achieved" by marrying when you don't already have children?
(edited 13 years ago)
for teh lulz
Reply 7
In the words of Billie Piper: "because they want to!"
Isn't the question really, what is the point of marriage? There isn't much apart from finance and legal things being easier, well apart from things that really just depend on if you care or not - celebrate your love with family friends, formalize your feelings, religious stuff. I find the concept of marriage a bit baffling as an atheist, I mean I can see it but don't get the whole having a massive wedding thing costing tons of money.
Reply 9
Shouldnt your question be rather "why do people get married at all?" ?

People want to get married. So they get married.

....Not quite sure what other response you were looking for.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending