Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I started wearing glasses the other week & one thing I've noticed is whenever I'm wearing eyeshadow it always looks like I've got too much on & any mistakes/ smudges look really obvious. Also I styled my lashes last night & they kept brushing against my lenses which was annoying . I've never had to wear them before & the girls I know who wear glasses tend to wear contacts when they go out so has anyone got any tips on getting the makeup right?

ReputationRep:
    Don't wear as much, don't make any mistakes.

ReputationRep:
    I get the 'lashes brushing up against my lenses' thing too, whenever I use mascara - very irritating! Though I've found this doesn't happen if I curl my eyelashes first. A lot of mascaras, if you curl and then apply them the weight of the mascara un-curls them again (even if you only use a tiny amount!), and using curlers after applying mascara isn't good for your lashes. The only mascara I've found which keeps the curl is my Maybelline Volum' express one :cute:

As for eyeshadow, I'm afraid I'm of little help - I've always sort of shied away from it, cos my eyesight is really bad without my glasses on so I can't see what I'm doing

ReputationRep:
    It took me quite a while to work out how much eye shadow works, and it does depend on the shape/positioning of your glasses... I find that a highligher at the brow line and a subtle brown/purple/grey in the crease opens the eyes more Too much colour can look a little messy behind glasses, so I tend to wear lenses if I'm going for a really bright look!

I've also found that you've got to use either grey or brown eyeliner (if you're wearing it) because black liner tends to make your eyes look a bit squinty! I do use black mascara though A little bit of glitter/iridescent eye shadow at the corners opens my eyes out a little more too...

If I wear false eyelashes I always wear contacts, because they do tend to brush on my glasses, and when I've got both it looks like there's too much going on. Most of the time though I just use a really good mascara which means I don't need false lashes... I recommend False Lash Effect by MaxFactor (however, the waterproof one is randomly really clumpy and horrid, while the regular one is brilliant!)

For making your eye make-up look tidy, I would suggest correcting any mistakes with a cotton bud that's been dipped in make-up remover... If you're careful you can wipe out any kind of little mistakes without having to take everything off and start over!

Also, check that the bridge of the glasses is sitting at the right height on your nose... You can have the most beautiful eye make-up ever, but if your glasses are too low and are hiding the open part of your eye, you will never look good!

I hope this helps a little

ReputationRep:
    I've worn glasses for years and it took me a while to find a particular style of eye makeup that looked good with my glasses lenses.

I can't wear black eyeshadow, as it's too dark and makes my eyes look to 'closed in' - so instead, I use metallic greys. It's not so harsh.

I also wear liquid liner on the top lashes as it makes my eyes appear larger - which is counteracted by the strength of my prescription. I'm short sighted, so my glasses make my eyes look a lot smaller than they are.

Oh and yeah, you won't be able to wear false lashes with glasses. And make sure you let your mascara dry fully before putting your glasses on, or you'll get smudges on the lenses. I'm forever cleaning my makeup off my glasses hehe.

My advice is just play around with different styles and techniques, and see which look best with your glasses.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE][I get the 'lashes brushing up against my lenses' thing too, whenever I use mascara - very irritating! Though I've found this doesn't happen if I curl my eyelashes first. A lot of mascaras, if you curl and then apply them the weight of the mascara un-curls them again (even if you only use a tiny amount!), and using curlers after applying mascara isn't good for your lashes. The only mascara I've found which keeps the curl is my Maybelline Volum' express one/QUOTE]

Thanks for the suggestion- I'll have to try this

It took me quite a while to work out how much eye shadow works, and it does depend on the shape/positioning of your glasses... I find that a highligher at the brow line and a subtle brown/purple/grey in the crease opens the eyes more Too much colour can look a little messy behind glasses, so I tend to wear lenses if I'm going for a really bright look!

I've also found that you've got to use either grey or brown eyeliner (if you're wearing it) because black liner tends to make your eyes look a bit squinty! I do use black mascara though A little bit of glitter/iridescent eye shadow at the corners opens my eyes out a little more too...

If I wear false eyelashes I always wear contacts, because they do tend to brush on my glasses, and when I've got both it looks like there's too much going on. Most of the time though I just use a really good mascara which means I don't need false lashes... I recommend False Lash Effect by MaxFactor (however, the waterproof one is randomly really clumpy and horrid, while the regular one is brilliant!)

For making your eye make-up look tidy, I would suggest correcting any mistakes with a cotton bud that's been dipped in make-up remover... If you're careful you can wipe out any kind of little mistakes without having to take everything off and start over!

Also, check that the bridge of the glasses is sitting at the right height on your nose... You can have the most beautiful eye make-up ever, but if your glasses are too low and are hiding the open part of your eye, you will never look good!

I hope this helps a little
    The glitter/ iridescent eyeshadow sounds like a cool look. I know what you mean about making sure my glasses are in the right position. Last night I ended up moving them further down my face because my lashes constantly brushing against them was so irritating. When I saw myself in a mirror it really didn't look right. i can't wear contacts so I think I'll just do what Rach suggested.

ReputationRep:
    i'm not sure if this will be any good because i haven't watched it yet, but it appeared in my yt subscriptions a few days ago, could be of some help? (: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMZLza47Z0c

ReputationRep:
    I also wear liquid liner on the top lashes as it makes my eyes appear larger - which is counteracted by the strength of my prescription. I'm short sighted, so my glasses make my eyes look a lot smaller than they are.
    I'll try this as well. I've got fairly big eyes anyway so they don't look too small with my glasses. But still, I prefer them to look bigger.

Oh and yeah, you won't be able to wear false lashes with glasses
    I like wearing false lashes so this is a bit disappointing to hear. I suppose I could try going out without my glasses but after a couple of weeks of wearing them all the time I've got used to clear vision & really notice the difference if I take them off.

ReputationRep:
    i'm not sure if this will be any good because i haven't watched it yet, but it appeared in my yt subscriptions a few days ago, could be of some help? (: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMZLza47Z0c
    Thanks for the link. It looks like her other videos have got some good makeup tips as well

ReputationRep:
    I've been trying out a few diferent techniques & have had a lok at some of the other makeup ideos on Youtube. My favourite is this one.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhsbjrjqROc
    Her glasses are th same style as mine which elps with getting an idea of how ts going to look on me. I really like the effect of this makeup style. I've not managed to perfect it yet but I'll definitely be trying this look again.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 18, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.