Turn on thread page Beta

Louis Theroux - America's Most Hated Family in Crisis watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrsCrackFox)
    Why do you people, who must be at least vaguely intelligent watch such rubbish?
    Those people are ridiculous and to say that these truly represent Christianity is as ridiculous as saying they represent humanity.

I just thought I'd say that before some of you laugh at 'how ridiculous' Christians are.
    Had you considered the possibility that no-one was going to do that, as it's blatantly obvious that these people are not representative of all Christians?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gingerrama)
    Had you considered the possibility that no-one was going to do that, as it's blatantly obvious that these people are not representative of all Christians?
    Yeh, but I've also considered the possibility that some will take it seriously.
    If it doesn't apply to you then there's no need for offence.

ReputationRep:
    I think the entire situation is disgustingly vile. Protesting at a soldiers funeral is shockingly disrespectful.

I feel sorry for the obviously brainwashed younger generation who are having minimal choice in the matter. Seeing children stood there with those signs, discussing "****" is just sickening.

ReputationRep:
    So ok, on BBC2 on the 3rd of april 2011 we were shown the 'revisit' to the Westboro Baptist Church community. WOW... i disliked them before BUT now...

Its kind of nice to see how some have moved out of the community and moved on HOWEVER yet still theres a group! I don't get them.

I don't know if i should say this but why are terrorists going after innocent civilians of the world when there are people (Westboro Baptist Church people) who are burning Qu'rans (as admitted) etc. I mean they are no bad as terrorists as they are forcing their kids to believe this at a young age and making them adopt their way of life or make them feel they will go to hell. Terrorists acts are more radical and violent but what i see is how similar the believe system of the two communities are! methods are different but still the same.

I've opened this thread to basically open a discussion about this community and to see what interesting points come up and if we can draw up similar communities (if ther are).

ReputationRep:
    You're saying they are worse than Muslim terrorists? At least they do not commit acts of violence like Muslim terrorists.

ReputationRep:
    There's no better advertisement for curtailing of free speech, frankly. They're utterly dreadful people and I feel so sorry for their poor children being brought up in that environment.

ReputationRep:
    They are the world's best trolls, and they will remain so as long as you keep getting offended.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrsCrackFox)
    Why do you people, who must be at least vaguely intelligent watch such rubbish?
    Those people are ridiculous and to say that these truly represent Christianity is as ridiculous as saying they represent humanity.

I just thought I'd say that before some of you laugh at 'how ridiculous' Christians are.
    I liked it for two main reasons:

Firstly, we are always made aware of the extreme end of the spectrum concerning Islamic teachings. I found it interesting to see how their christian counterparts goa out business, because it's something we aren't often exposed to.

I also found it interesting from an ethics point of view. I consider myself to be quite liberal. On the one hand, I find the idea of obstructing the right to freedom of speech and of obstructing the right to protest disgusting. I also find it disgusting that such a distasteful display should be on show opposite somebody's funeral. I found it interesting just to see what my reaction to it was and the reactions of those in the counter protests.

It's just a healthy exploration of the extreme end of the spectrum. I doubt anybody believes these people speak for all Christians any more than anybody believes Gadaffi speaks for all musilms.

ReputationRep:
    Also, don't most Muslims share their views?

Perhaps they don't express themselves in the same way, but the views themselves are pretty similar, are they not? The homophobia, the belief that non-believers are going to hell and et cetera.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tuger)
    You're saying they are worse than Muslim terrorists? At least they do not commit acts of violence like Muslim terrorists.
    no no i didn't mean it like that... what i mean by saying they are no better than terrorists, is regarding how they are a small community teaching their kids to hate etc which is similar to what terrorists teach ther kids.

I've rephrased my original post

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mobs25)
    no no i didn't mean it like that... what i mean by saying they are no better than terrorists, is regarding how they are a small community teaching their kids to hate etc which is similar to what terrorists teach ther kids.

I've rephrased my original post
    I still think they are, in some ways, better than Muslim terrorists. At least they don't commit acts of violence.

ReputationRep:
    I think we should lure them into a small village with the promise of a genuinely gay soldier who's died in Afghanistan. Not only will they think they're going to have a ****ing field-day, they'll all flock there.
    We can trap them in a "The Village" arrangement. Put high walls around them.
    We'll soon see how long Phelps there believes God will rescue her. :rolleyes: I'm surprised these lot are so against normal, moral, modern-day values, yet incest is fine for them? :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tuger)
    Also, don't most Muslims share their views?

Perhaps they don't express themselves in the same way, but the views themselves are pretty similar, are they not? The homophobia, the belief that non-believers are going to hell and et cetera.
    I have never met a Muslim who would picket a funeral as a protest to the legalisation of gay marriage.

I don't like Abrahamic religion in general but comparing "most Muslims" to these people is very, very unfair, just like saying that their actions represent those of all Christians. It's true that a lot of Muslims are against homosexuality but I'm sure the majority of them let homosexuals live in peace and the ones who are violent are the unpleasant minority.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tuger)
    A terrorist is someone who commits an act of violence against someone else.

Thus, all terrorists are the same.

See what I did there? Yes?

ReputationRep:
    Only on TSR can a thread about some deluded maniacs in America turn into a thread about Islam. :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LadyRowena)
    I have never met a Muslim who would picket a funeral as a protest to the legalisation of gay marriage.
    Did you read what I said? "Perhaps they don't express themselves in the same way, but the views themselves are pretty similar, are they not? The homophobia, the belief that non-believers are going to hell and et cetera."

(Original post by LadyRowena)
    It's true that a lot of Muslims are against homosexuality but I'm sure the majority of them let homosexuals live in peace and the ones who are violent are the unpleasant minority.
    Unfortunately, they don't leave gay people alone. In almost all Muslim-majority countries gay people are persecuted and prosecuted.

ReputationRep:
    The 'song' video thing about Jews made me want to cry. Saying the holocaust was basically an act of God literally made me want to blow their ****ing brains out.

And the kids...I felt just so sad for them. What if one of them realised he was gay? It would just be awful.

The whole thing was ridiculous and they were just stupid, ignorant people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by In2deep)
    Only on TSR can a thread about some deluded maniacs in America turn into a thread about Islam. :facepalm2:
    This made me smile.

Which is actually quite bad i guess.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellie-wellie)
    The 'song' video thing about Jews made me want to cry. Saying the holocaust was basically an act of God literally made me want to blow their ****ing brains out.
    Well, if you believe in god, then it sort of is His judgement. Muslims, for example, believe that nothing happens without god willing it.

ReputationRep:
    I just watched that.

Just a bunch of religious nuts that lack the inability to think for themselves.

I dont like religious extremists.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.