Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Louis Theroux - America's Most Hated Family in Crisis watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tuger)
    Well, if you believe in god, then it sort of is His judgement. Muslims, for example, believe that nothing happens without god willing it.
    So?
    They believe cancer is good, they believe natural disasters are good.

I don't care if they think 'God' is behind it, its ****ing disgusting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellie-wellie)
    So?
    They believe cancer is good, they believe natural disasters are good.

I don't care if they think 'God' is behind it, its ****ing disgusting.

I don't really see how you can complain, they're just obeying what it says in the bible, which millions of people around the world agree is the absolute, unbending and incontrovertible word of God. They would be shambolic hypocrites not to act in this manner.

ReputationRep:
    Those sadistic baptists have some twisted views. They seem to have ignored the last few lines of their own scripture, the Bible

ReputationRep:
    these people need to be sterilised....asap!

ReputationRep:
    I'm watching this right now. These people are ****ed up.

ReputationRep:
    After watching this I really think to myself have these people actually read the Bible? Now, while it is true that it does say that God is a vengeful God i was pretty sure that was old testament. I was under the asumption that christians put more faith into the New testament with a nice loving God. But seriously have they not heard the tale of the good samaratin, even if one is not of the same beliefs, they dont have to be your enemy. And if every act in the world was done by God's will and so they should rejoice, is it not also God's will that there are gay people and that Jesus died?

ReputationRep:
    I just watched it.

They are nuts lol
    To describe some of their actions as distasteful would be the understatement of the century.

Louis didn't actually add anything to the first documentary, so I'm wondering what the point was here. I guess he attempted to exploit the fact some members left, but again the members were in total denial so he didn't achieve much there.

Look how the women were dressed anyway. I thought they were hardcore Christians (and had expelled the other girl for wearing a bikini). They weren't modest imo, hypocrisy? And what about the online relations they seem to be having with the Dutch filmakers?
    The Chinese looking guy was the weirdest one there. He was confused and just acted really weird.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.godhatesfags.org.uk/

ReputationRep:
    They are vile homophobes.

On the positive side, the documentary reaffirmed my admiration for America. What an amazing country where free speech actually means something.

ReputationRep:
    This annoyed me so much this show - I can not say that the bible says different because I haven't read it myself yet but they just judge people straight away with no reason condemning them to hell and make no bonds with people - it is just crazy that these things happen in the world

My main thought from this show is what do these people think of the greek civilizations which were big on homosexuality as well as heterosexuality as well as having different gods which (as far as my knowledge goes) were around before god or the bible surfaced. I assume they will say that their actions led to the fall of their nation but that happens whenever a nation growns too big - it happened to the egyptians, the greeks, the romans, it is a circle with each worshipping different gods and such

I've had my say and my rant (note I haven't seen the original show only the follow up one)

ReputationRep:
    Lol the girls well shagged that dutch student!!!

ReputationRep:
    Damn, that Grace girl is kinda hot. Too bad she's a nut.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Silent Ghost)
    After watching this I really think to myself have these people actually read the Bible? Now, while it is true that it does say that God is a vengeful God i was pretty sure that was new testament. I was under the asumption that christians put more faith into the New testament with a nice loving God. But seriously have they not heard the tale of the good samaratin, even if one is not of the same beliefs, they dont have to be your enemy. And if every act in the world was done by God's will and so they should rejoice, is it not also God's will that there are gay people and that Jesus died?
    Many of the beliefs of this Christian cult are found in Old Testament teachings. The vengeful god, the god of storms and of war, of punishment and of divine wrath is most certainly in keeping with the demiurge Jehovah of the Old Testament. This type of jealous god, however, is more in keeping with the syncretism of the Egyptian "jealous" god Ra, and the Hittite god of storms, Teshub.

The New Testament is the Hebrew god in overhaul. In the New Testament the god's demiurge-like attributes have been cleansed. This God is not a Jewish god at all, not a national-god, not a God for the nation of Israel, God's elect. The New Testament god is more in keeping with that of the god of everyman, the cosmopolitan god. The New Covenant with Christ Jesus attempted to wipe away the sins of the fathers, and thus now everyone in the world is thereby redeemed with that act of redemption. The sacrifice of the son had redeemed the fathers when they, the Jews, "killed" God in the Wilderness.

ReputationRep:
    I asked the same question when i saw the first documentary:

If God is killing all these people because they approve of gays why does he not just skip the middleman and kill the gays? :iiam:

ReputationRep:
    Anyone spot anon? "Tits or GTFO" and "Magnets. How do they work?" signs.

ReputationRep:
    It's amusing up to a point, but watching the kids spout such vitriol, their faces exhibiting confusion, fear, anger and ignorance all at once, was really quite saddening and disturbing.

ReputationRep:
    I've become desensitised to their bile so I found it hilarious

Anyone else think Lauren was ridiculously attractive?

ReputationRep:
    After watching this I really think to myself have these people actually read the Bible?
    I'm suspect they have, several times, but that doesn't mean that salvation has been revealed to them. They show no sign of the grace of Jesus Christ which inspired people to seek God.

Now, while it is true that it does say that God is a vengeful God i was pretty sure that was new testament.
    You mean old testament?
    It's in both.

I was under the asumption that christians put more faith into the New testament with a nice loving God.
    To even become a Christian you have to believe that he is nicer and more loving than you could ever be!
    So, you need to do as he says and receive that love by receiving his Spirit ("born again"), evidenced by speaking in tonges (Acts 2:4, 33; Romans 5:5, Jude 20-21).

But seriously have they not heard the tale of the good samaratin, even if one is not of the same beliefs, they dont have to be your enemy. And if every act in the world was done by God's will and so they should rejoice, is it not also God's will that there are gay people and that Jesus died?
    To be a good Samaritan you need to pour in oil and wine and deliver the person to "the inn" (Luke 10:29-35).
    Like WBC I doubt you are doing this, because you don't understand the parable, neither did Louis or the BBC.
    If people are serious about finding what God really wants to say to this generation he will send them someone who will tell them and the results will speak louder than any noisy placard waving.

ReputationRep:
    That boy was going on about pink caves. Doesn't that sound a bit gay? :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to have to break it to the numerous Christians clutching at straws, but the God that the Phelps worship really is the God that appears in the Old Testament. The one thing you can say in that cult's favour is that their doctrine is the most faithful to the Bible of all denominations.

The God in the OT is a jealous, venegful and hateful misanthropist. He calls for the sacrifice of children. He rains fire and brimstone on homosexuals. He tells the Israelits to exact revenge on tribes, and then neglects to intervene when things go to far and fathers, mothers and children get butchered and virgins get raped.

No amount of love and forgiveness in the New Testament can make up for that. A lot of the NT contradicts the OT; and those stories of compassion and forgiveness tend to be derided from pre-Abrahamic folktales and legends anyway.

The Phelps clan are horrible but, if there's anything worse than the Westboro Church, it's those Christians who cherry-pick the Bible and conveninetly ignore the nasty stuff.

And, yes, I have read the Bible, with a fine toothcomb.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 22, 2011
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.