Turn on thread page Beta

Louis Theroux - America's Most Hated Family in Crisis watch

ReputationRep:
    It was a good documentary, I love Louis Theroux.

(Original post by dantenebula)

And, yes, I have read the Bible, with a fine toothcomb.
    Yet without any skills of exegisis, it would seem.

Edit: To expand on my observation above:

Exegesis (from the Greek ???????? from ?????????? 'to lead out') is a critical explanation or interpretation of a text, especially a religious text. Traditionally the term was used primarily for exegesis of the Bible; however, in contemporary usage it has broadened to mean a critical explanation of any text, and the term "Biblical exegesis" is used for greater specificity. The goal of Biblical exegesis is to explore the meaning of the text which then leads to discovering its significance or relevance.

Exegesis includes a wide range of critical disciplines: textual criticism is the investigation into the history and origins of the text, but exegesis may include the study of the historical and cultural backgrounds for the author, the text, and the original audience. Other analysis includes classification of the type of literary genres present in the text, and an analysis of grammatical and syntactical features in the text itself.
    See wikipedia

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silent ninja)
    The Chinese looking guy was the weirdest one there. He was confused and just acted really weird.
    Yeah I thought that was really strange. Shame they didn't explore that further. There was definitely something weird there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    Yet without any skills of exegisis, it would seem.
    And how do you deduce that? My post was short and sweet, with no room for critical evaluation; a simple summary of the overridng themes of the Old Testament and how they match up to the Westboro doctrine. Does that mean that I lack the skills for a more thorough analysis? Yours is an ironic and foolish quip.

(Original post by dantenebula)
    And how do you deduce that? My post was short and sweet, with no room for critical evaluation; a simple summary of the overridng themes of the Old Testament and how they match up to the Westboro doctrine. Does that mean that I lack the skills for a more thorough analysis? Yours is an ironic and foolish quip.
    It is very obvious from your criticism that you have utilisied only a literal application to what you have read of the Old Testament

My 'quip' is neither ironic nor foolish...you have made the same error as the Phelps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    It is very obvious from your criticism that you have utilisied only a literal application to what you have read of the Old Testament

My 'quip' is neither ironic nor foolish...you have made the same error as the Phelps.
    Well, you're right that the OT can't and shouldn't be taken literally, given the 1500 years of editing and translating that has occured (let alone that it is fictional anyway). But there are many things in it which no amount of metaphor or claims or mistranslation can mask. Many of the cruel acts of good depicted in the OT are corroborated by the Koran and the Miqra.

If you start dressing up the things that are written in it, and cherry picking some parts from others, then what's the point in using it as a doctrinal source at all? The possibilities, the interpretations, become almost limitless. If you refuse to accept some of the points/teachings/arguments at face value, why not go the whole way and reject the Bible altogether?

So, my point is that when a Christian says something like 'God hates vengeance, he is forgiving', there are numeorus points in the OT that contradict such a statement; enough of them to demloish any weak defence that it is a metaphor or mistranslation that shouldn't be taken literally.

ReputationRep:
    Was watching twitterfall while this was on using hastags of #wbc #bbc2 #theroux so pretty much covered it.
    But I found something a bit odd - when the BBC or Channel 4 do a documentary exposing almost identical words and actions of hate-speech inside a UK mosque, the wrath of the liberal left is out in force on twitter complaining of biased broadcasting, or taking things out of context, or "disturbing community relations".

I didn't see ONE SINGLE TWEET from "the left" (or indeed anyone) with such a robust defence of WBC as they would give Islamic hate-preachers.

In my view, both a two sides of a bad penny, but I wonder why one gets robust defence from liberals and the other gets universal hatred?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by digitaltoast)
    In my view, both a two sides of a bad penny, but I wonder why one gets robust defence from liberals and the other gets universal hatred?
    I've always wondered the same thing. The 'left' and associated press, particuarly the Guardian, seems to react far more angrily against the exposure of Islam than it does towards that of Christianity. It's strange how Islam seems to have been adopted as a leftist cause (a good example is George Galloway's post-Labour career and his Bo & Bethnal Green seat), especially given that it feels very far removed from the general principles and morals that the left upholds (gender and sexual equality, religious freedom, etc).

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately, they don't leave gay people alone. In almost all Muslim-majority countries gay people are persecuted and prosecuted.[/QUOTE]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjnrLt3VuSM

Many predominantly Christian countries also do this? Jamaica, Ghana, Uganda, St Lucia, Trinidad and Tobago just to name a few?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    Yeah I thought that was really strange. Shame they didn't explore that further. There was definitely something weird there.
    The way he spoke and acted...my gaydar went off the charts....

ReputationRep:
    I'm surprised that people find these nutters 'offensive' - their views are so outrageously extreme that they inspire bemusement rather than anger. Brainwashing their children is horrific along with picketing funerals, but their signs, songs, videos and views shouln't really upset any sensible person - even the stuff about jews - because they are just so indicative of lunacy. People who confront them in the street, like the woman near the end, would be better off blanking them, and marvelling at how absurd they all are.

ReputationRep:
    You can say what you want about that church, but they do come up with some banging tunes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iainthegreat)
    You can say what you want about that church, but they do come up with some banging tunes.
    And the photographer daughter wasn't too shabby, either.

Catchy songs; pretty, artistic women...I'm beginning to understand why that Asian lad was so keen to join.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by py0alb)
    I don't really see how you can complain, they're just obeying what it says in the bible, which millions of people around the world agree is the absolute, unbending and incontrovertible word of God. They would be shambolic hypocrites not to act in this manner.
    Actually they really aren't obeying what is says in the Bible!

love your neighbour
    remove the plank of wood from your own eye before you try and remove the speck from everyone else's
    only God can judge
    help those in need
    love even those of different religions

the Bible is NOT about hatred!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greeneyedgirl)
    Actually they really aren't obeying what is says in the Bible!

love your neighbour
    remove the plank of wood from your own eye before you try and remove the speck from everyone else's
    only God can judge
    help those in need
    love even those of different religions

the Bible is NOT about hatred!
    Have you read the bible?
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    Have you read the bible?
    Yes, and am a practicing Christian.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, and am a practicing Christian.
    I'd love to see you out-quote the dad from the Westbro, take him to pieces with some wicked bible passages, lay the smackdown.

Good to hear you're still practicing stuff. No-ones perfect!
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    I'd love to see you out-quote the dad from the Westbro, take him to pieces with some wicked bible passages, lay the smackdown.

Good to hear you're still practicing stuff. No-ones perfect!
    Ha ha I don't quite have the skills to out quote him! Plus a lot of what they believe is misinterpretation! I'm sure they think they are loving their neighbours by telling them they are awful people :rolleyes:

Indeed, no-one is perfect, not a single person! That's why it's great Jesus came to save us from our imperfections!

ReputationRep:
    Ha ha I don't quite have the skills to out quote him! Plus a lot of what they believe is misinterpretation! I'm sure they think they are loving their neighbours by telling them they are awful people :rolleyes:

Indeed, no-one is perfect, not a single person! That's why it's great Jesus came to save us from our imperfections!
    Well you keep practicing, and I will get in touch with Louis about making the 3rd installment, in which greeneyedgirl makes the Westbro church see the error of their ways.

I guess the problem is that the bible is so bloody self-contradictory that they're just remembering the bits that they like and you're just remembering the bits that you like, and there's no logical argument to say that one of you is wrong and the other right. THIS is why the bible should be re-written by each different christian orthodoxy.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    Well you keep practicing, and I will get in touch with Louis about making the 3rd installment, in which greeneyedgirl makes the Westbro church see the error of their ways.

I guess the problem is that the bible is so bloody self-contradictory that they're just remembering the bits that they like and you're just remembering the bits that you like, and there's no logical argument to say that one of you is wrong and the other right. THIS is why the bible should be re-written by each different christian orthodoxy.
    Actually it's really not that self-contradictory! That's a common misconception but if you wanna know more feel free to PM me

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 22, 2011
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.