Turn on thread page Beta

Louis Theroux - America's Most Hated Family in Crisis watch

• PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Craig_D)
    That's fine; your beliefs are your own and I just wanted clarification. I honestly had no intention of derailing the thread.

The main point is that the documentary was very good and made for entertaining viewing.
    No I understand you didn't want to derail the thread, but as a mod I feel guilty for any sort of derailment!

Indeed, Louis Theroux always does a fab job on his documentaries!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JayTeeKay)
    I liked it for two main reasons:

Firstly, we are always made aware of the extreme end of the spectrum concerning Islamic teachings. I found it interesting to see how their christian counterparts goa out business, because it's something we aren't often exposed to.

I also found it interesting from an ethics point of view. I consider myself to be quite liberal. On the one hand, I find the idea of obstructing the right to freedom of speech and of obstructing the right to protest disgusting. I also find it disgusting that such a distasteful display should be on show opposite somebody's funeral. I found it interesting just to see what my reaction to it was and the reactions of those in the counter protests.

It's just a healthy exploration of the extreme end of the spectrum. I doubt anybody believes these people speak for all Christians any more than anybody believes Gadaffi speaks for all musilms.
    Who thought that in the first place? :lolwut:

I'd replace that with Al-Qaeda, Taliban, other extremist militant groups.

Other than that :gthumb:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jacke02)
    They're not crazy: they are just following parts of a religious book like every other religion .

Its a crazy world.
    So if i went round pooing on everyone, but claimed it was part of my religion, i wouldn't be nuts?

Sorry, bit off a crap (get it ) example but just trying to get my point across.

ReputationRep:
    The younger women were all very attractive. That Dutch student is a lucky man.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by py0alb)
    I don't really see how you can complain, they're just obeying what it says in the bible, which millions of people around the world agree is the absolute, unbending and incontrovertible word of God. They would be shambolic hypocrites not to act in this manner.
    I'm not a Christian but doesn't the Bible also say love thy neighbour, treat other people how you would like to be treated? That doesn't link to what they did does it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScrubZ)
    Grace is so fit! Damn you west baptist church!
    :drool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greeneyedgirl)
    I really don't want to derail this thread onto whether the Bible is contradictory or not (there are plenty of other threads out there for that debate) but basically my interpretation of that is we shouldn't be murdering, but at the end of the day, God will not accept all the many sins listed in Exodus, unless the people have repented so in that way, they will not live.

Yeah but many Christians, myself included, would say that the creation story is merely metaphorical, and the fact that there are two versions of it placed side by side in the Bible, indicates it's metaphorical status.

Anyway, not derailing this thread further, please PM/go on the D&D Ask A Christian Thread for any more questions
    your god is really violent and hateful i must say. and genocidal and will it seems take great pleasure in killing his "children" because he gave them the will to "sin". very nice.

ReputationRep:
    am I the only one who is surprised that these people have not been gunned down as yet by a jaded vet. or affected families?

not that i am promoting violence but the dad who lost the case against them in the supreme court was right; one day there will be violence.

ReputationRep:
    I found them very egotistical. The songs about other people going to hell just showed this. How sadistic must a person be to make a song about others going to hell.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Vozhak)
    your god is really violent and hateful i must say. and genocidal and will it seems take great pleasure in killing his "children" because he gave them the will to "sin". very nice.
    Sorry I meant live eternally and happily, not they'll die straight away. And the way I think about life after death, those who follow God spend their lives saying to God "I'll do what you want, I need you in my life" (yes they'll fail multiple times, but their overall wish to do what God wants will still be there). Those who don't follow God spend their lives saying "I don't want you God, I'll do what I want" (and go about doing what they want, whether it's good or bad). At the end, God loves both groups of people he gives them exactly what they want, those following God get a life with God, those not following God, get a life without God. I'm still not sure how bad hell will seem to people, they chose to not want God after all, but when God is everything good, loving and kind, I can't imagine it to be a highly nice place.

ReputationRep:
    I wonder how Lady Gaga would've done in the charts if she'd used their 'lyrics'? Probably just as well tbh, with a catchy tune selling anything these days :/

I love Louis Theroux, though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LurkerintheDark)
    I'm surprised that people find these nutters 'offensive' - their views are so outrageously extreme that they inspire bemusement rather than anger. Brainwashing their children is horrific along with picketing funerals, but their signs, songs, videos and views shouln't really upset any sensible person - even the stuff about jews - because they are just so indicative of lunacy. People who confront them in the street, like the woman near the end, would be better off blanking them, and marvelling at how absurd they all are.
    I agree with this, if everyone paid them no attention they wouldn't be as well known as they are now.

Did anyone see one of the girls wearing a Metro Station tshirt? :confused: That's what I find weird, along with them using the tunes of songs like 'Telephone' etc. I understand why - they want it to be catchy/to emphasis the wrongs of 'normal' society - but why do they have to do the dance moves as well? Especially teaching them to little girls! It makes no sense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by py0alb)
    Have you read the bible?
    They are hypocrites. They are like the Pharisees and the Catholics. The Bible is about the greatest love story known to mankind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dunnicare)
    I'm not a Christian but doesn't the Bible also say love thy neighbour, treat other people how you would like to be treated? That doesn't link to what they did does it?
    Yeah pretty much. They obviously loved their neighbours enough to continually go and try and save them from eternal torture from :eek: the worm that does not die. :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swell)
    So if i went round pooing on everyone, but claimed it was part of my religion, i wouldn't be nuts?

Sorry, bit off a crap (get it ) example but just trying to get my point across.
    If you believed that somebody died and he magics into the bread you eat, and claim it it part of your religion, it is bloody nuts.

ReputationRep:
    I loved seeing one of the counter picket-signs.

"Tits or GTFO!"

Genius.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dunnicare)
    Who thought that in the first place? :lolwut:

I'd replace that with Al-Qaeda, Taliban, other extremist militant groups.

Other than that :gthumb:
    I know what you're saying. It was quite clear to me that these people are dillusioned and mad - the only other comparison I could think of was Gadaffi.

In fairness to Al Qaida, they can probably string together a coherent argument, no matter how abhorrent it may be. I doubt it would be possible to become one of the most "successful" terrorist organisations with slogans as elequent as "***** burger".

ReputationRep:
    ---

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JayTeeKay)
    I know what you're saying. It was quite clear to me that these people are dillusioned and mad - the only other comparison I could think of was Gadaffi.

In fairness to Al Qaida, they can probably string together a coherent argument, no matter how abhorrent it may be. I doubt it would be possible to become one of the most "successful" terrorist organisations with slogans as elequent as "***** burger".
    :rofl:

My favourite comment of the day.

Fair enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tetanus)
    :drool:
    xD wow.... poor kids though

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.