Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Louis Theroux - America's Most Hated Family in Crisis Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -honeybee-)
    Yes I didn't think he was actually trying to join! He seemed too unsure and a bit nervous and there was also something in the way Louis introduced him that gave it away.
    I thought that too! The way the woman member was saying about "turning up doesn't get you in" or something along those lines, basically hinting that they had suspicions about him. He didn't look very comfortable on camera at all. I suppose they have to watch out for undercover reporters an such.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by choly7)
    I thought that too! The way the woman member was saying about "turning up doesn't get you in" or something along those lines, basically hinting that they had suspicions about him. He didn't look very comfortable on camera at all. I suppose they have to watch out for undercover reporters an such.
    With everyone on here talking about him trying to join I thought I might have been overly suspicious but I'm sure all wasn't as it seemed! If he was truly wanting to join, he would surely be as vile and confident in his beliefs as the rest of the members but he was so reserved and out of his depth. If the members thought he was an undercover journalist, wouldn't they have told him to leave though? But I suppose any publicity is good publicity to the them...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawstude)
    Did anyone else feel that they were racist? i.e. no ethnics in their church, the swastika in the promo video and...the remark about Obama being the antichrist.

The chinese guy at the church meeting was wasting his time - he's never going to make it in.
    I think they just genuinely don't care how they are perceived or who they offend.

Interestingly, Fred Phelps used to be a civil rights lawyer, so he can't be much of a racist. I think they would say it if they were, they don't exactly hold back.

ReputationRep:
    was it a one off show or will there be more Quote me to reply.

ReputationRep:
    I find it horrendously hypocritical of them to be so radically homophobic, yet they sing their own versions of Lady Gaga and Queen songs. A gay activist and a band with a gay vocalist respectively.

They're foul, foul people.

ReputationRep:
    I watched it. I can't believe they protested dead soldiers funerals

ReputationRep:
    One of them was insanely hot. Such a shame.

ReputationRep:
    Oh yes. I sent them an email. I was very polite and civil. Here's what I wrote. I eagerly await their response. I got the email from one of their many websites.

To whom it may concern

This is not a question concerning priests who rape boys, I'm merely sending this to this email address because it was the only one I could find.

I understand that you take the Bible to be the word of G-d. I also understand that you express your belief in G-d and his commandments in a very, let's say, in-your-face way. I am not trying to pick a fight or have an intense argument with you, I merely wish to understand your beliefs further and have a small discussion on them. I have come to know of this church through Louis Theroux's documentaries.

I should like to draw your attention to certain passages in the Bible if I may, and would like to know your opinion on them.

Religious Tolerance in the Hebrew Scriptures:

World religions at peace with each other: The prophet Micah prophesied about a coming time when nations will stop making war. The various peoples of the world will live in peace and pursue their different religions, each worshipping their different Gods and Goddesses. Meanwhile, the Jews will continue to follow Jehovah. His prophesy came to pass for the known western world during the Roman Empire where religious were generally tolerated (except for the intermittent persecution of Christians). However, late in the 4th century CE when Christianity became the official religion of the Roman Empire, persecution of non-Christians became the norm.

Micah 4:3-5 "...they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruning hooks: nation shall not lift up a sword against nation, neither shall they learn war any more. But they shall sit every man under his vine and under his fig tree; and none shall make them afraid: for the mouth of the LORD of hosts hat spoken it. For all people will walk every one in the name of his god, and we will walk in the name of the LORD our God for ever and ever." (KJV)

Religious Tolerance in the Christian Scriptures (New Testament):

Tolerance of other types of "Christianity": Jesus' disciples had rejected a healer who was exorcising demons in Jesus' name, yet was not one of Jesus direct followers. Jesus criticized his disciples and accepted the healer. Mark and Luke report the incident in parallel passages:

Mark 9:38-40 "...we saw one casting out devils in thy name, and he followeth not us: and we forbade him, because he followeth not us. But Jesus said, Forbid him not: for there is no man which shall do a miracle in my name, that can lightly speak evil of me. For he that is not against us is on our part." (KJV)

Luke 9:49-50 "...we saw one casting out devils in thy name; and we forbade him, because he followeth not with us. And Jesus said unto him, Forbid him not: for he that is not against us is for us."

Jesus refused to curse non-believers: Jesus' teachings were rejected by the inhabitants of a village in Samaria. His disciples asked that he exterminate the people of the village by issuing a curse. Jesus refused to do it, and simply move on to the next village.

Luke 9:52-56: "...they did not receive him...And when his disciples James and John saw this, they said, Lord, wilt thou that we command fire to come down from heaven, and consume them, even as Elias did? But he turned, and rebuked them, and said, Ye know not what manner of spirit ye are of. For the Son of man is not come to destroy men's lives, but to save them. And they went to another village."

Jesus treats a Samaritan women with respect: Jesus initiated a conversation with a Samaritan woman in Sychar, Samaria. This is unusual in at least two ways: Jewish men did not talk to women who were not their wives or were not from their family. Also, Jews normally treated Samaritans with contempt. Jews did not have dealings with them, because they had deviated from Judaism.

John 4:7-27: "There cometh a woman of Samaria to draw water: Jesus saith unto her, Give me to drink...Then saith the woman of Samaria unto him, How is it that thou, being a Jew, askest drink of me, which am a woman of Samaria? for the Jews have no dealings with the Samaritans. Jesus answered and said unto her, If thou knewest the gift of God, and who it is that saith to thee, Give me to drink; thou wouldest have asked of him, and he would have given thee living water...Jesus saith unto her, Woman, believe me, the hour cometh, when ye shall neither in this mountain, nor yet at Jerusalem, worship the Father...And upon this came his disciples, and marveled that he talked with the woman..."

Christians treating Jews with respect: The author of Luke and Acts comments that the Jews in Berea were more noble, fair-minded and receptive than the Jews of Thessalonica.

Acts 17:10-13 "And the brethren immediately sent away Paul and Silas by night unto Berea: who coming thither went into the synagogue of the Jews. These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so. Therefore many of them believed; also of honourable women which were Greeks, and of men, not a few."

Tolerance of Pagans towards Christians: Paul was under house arrest in Rome for two years. The government granted him religious freedom and did not forbid him to preach.

Acts 28:30-31 "And Paul dwelt two whole years in his own hired house, and received all that came in unto him, Preaching the kingdom of God, and teaching those things which concern the Lord Jesus Christ, with all confidence, no man forbidding him."

Acceptance of non-Christians into Heaven: An often preached message by conservative Protestants is that the only way to be saved and attain Heaven after death is to repent of one's sins and trust Jesus as Lord and Savior. One corollary of this view is that only those persons who hear the Gospel and accept it will spend eternity in Heaven. However Romans 2:14-16 delivers a different and contrasting message. Paul writes:

"For when the Gentiles, which have not the law, do by nature the things contained in the law, these, having not the law, are a law unto themselves: Which shew the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and their thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another; In the day when God shall judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ according to my gospel."

Paul is here discussing those individuals who have not heard Jewish and Christian teachings. They were in the majority of the world's population in Paul's time and remain so today. Paul said that God has given them the knowledge of right and wrong. Their response to God's moral implanting will be reviewed on Judgment Day. They may be saved and attain heaven if they responded morally while living on Earth.

Paul's teaching on this point contradicts the repent and trust message taught by conservative Protestants. It also contradicts Matthew 25 which states that people of all religions will be judged solely by their good and bad works.

Toleration of fellow Christians: St. Paul commented on the range of beliefs among Christians. It was not unlike the variety of beliefs and practices seen among Christian denominations today. He called for intra-faith harmony. Paul urged believers to be tolerant of others who may follow different dietary rules, or hold religious services on a different day. He recommends that believers avoid doing anything that might make a fellow believer stumble in this faith.

Romans 14:1-23 "Receive one who is weak in the faith, but not to disputes over doubtful things. For one believes he may eat all things, but he who is weak eats only vegetables. Let not him who eats despise him who does not eat, and let not him who does not eat judge him who eats; for God has received him...One person esteems one day above another; another esteems every day alike. Let each be fully convinced in his own mind...But why do you judge your brother? Or why do you show contempt for your brother? For we shall all stand before the judgment seat of Christ...Therefore let us not judge one another anymore, but rather resolve this, not to put a stumbling block or a cause to fall in our brother's way." (NKJ)

Avoid offending followers of other religions: St. Paul commented on the dietary habits of Christians.

1 Corinthians 10:31-32 "Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, orwhatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God. Give none offence, neither to the Jews, nor to the Gentiles, nor to the church of God:"

Joh 8:7 So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.

Mat 7:1 Judge not, that ye be not judged.

Mat 7:2 For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.

Mat 7:3 And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?

Mat 7:4 Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye?

Mat 7:5 Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.

What are your church's views on these passages? They are from the Bible which is, according to you, the word of G-d. Surely you should take heed of them? Just for your own interest, I spell G-d with a dash in it because I am Jewish and believe the name of G-d to be holy.

Yours,

M Cowen, London

I really hope they do reply.

ReputationRep:
    They will probably just reply with 'god hates ****'.

ReputationRep:
    I cant be bothered to read all that but someone has to tell them they're wrong!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LaMusiqueEstMaVie)
    Oh yes. I sent them an email. I was very polite and civil. Here's what I wrote. I eagerly await their response. I got the email from one of their many websites.

I really hope they do reply.
    If I couldn't be bothered to read through that email, they won't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucygator)
    I cant be bothered to read all that but someone has to tell them they're wrong!
    Everyone tells them they are wrong and they rejoice in that.

Waste of time IMHO.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I wouldn't expect a reply if I were you.

Tbh I think the best way of dealing with them is to completely ignore them. They seem to thrive on controversy and getting a reaction from normal, sane, people.
    Although I think the biker gangs who stand in between the WBC protests and funeral processions should continue.

ReputationRep:
    TL;DR.

Most likely, they will just ignore it.

Or they will preach down your throat.

ReputationRep:
    I emailed them once when they picketed George Carlin's funeral... They never responded to me.

Dear Sirs,
    I write to you with regards to your recent press release, headlined 'God Killed Potty-Mouth Comedian George Carlin And Cast Him Into Hell.'
    Firstly, may I congratulate you on your continuing good work in your campaign against homosexuals. In the United Kingdom, where I currently reside, the popular term for their kind is "bummers", and I scarcely need to explain the origins of the term. I am in full agreement that should two men (or women, for I have heard that in areas with few morals to speak of, such as Canada, that women also partake in such activities) wish to engage in an act of love-making behind closed doors where nobody can see, that they should face severe punishments. God will most certainly disapprove. If anybody would know what they get up to it will be Him, as he watches them doing it with his omnipresence.
    Now, onto the more serious business of the heretic, George Carlin. I could not agree more with your statement that his death was God's punishment for his atheism. By jove, after 71 years of it, one could hardly disagree that it was deserved. The fact that He allowed Carlin to spout this blasphemy for 71 years shows just how compassionate He is. He would have been well within his rights to smite this so called "funny man" when he first started shouting his nonsense 50 years ago. But no, God decided to wait until he reached the old age of 71 years and killed him with heart failure. I, for one, congratulated Him on His ability to forgive these sins for so long. This is proof, if any was needed, of His omnipotence. To be honest, I am still in shock that this man had the audacity to have beliefs that differ so strongly from right thinking people like you and I.
    Finally, I would like to ask if you had any tips or hints for dealing with the homosexuals in my local area? I was giving them a jolly good thrashing with a beating device I had purchased from a local lady named Ann Summers. Unfortunately, I was forced to desist from this when I found out that they were actually quite enjoying it. Any help or information you could pass my way would be greatly appreciated.
    Yours truly,
    James Blood,
    England.

ReputationRep:
    And why would you do that? If they have belief, let them, no matter how ridiculous (and yeh it is retarded) it seems.
    You're hardly going to convert them.

ReputationRep:
    Going by how they usually reply to people, I wouldn't hold your breath for any explanation more than quoting passages which say otherwise. And they've plenty to chose from.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ABCI23)
    And why would you do that? If they have belief, let them, no matter how ridiculous (and yeh it is retarded) it seems.
    You're hardly going to convert them.
    Holding a belief is one thing. Violently shoving it in people's faces and making offensive signs and videos about my religion is another.

ReputationRep:
    You told them you're Jewish, all you'll get back is a torrent of abuse :p:

ReputationRep:
    The response will probably blame the entire (forthcoming) destruction of the World on you and sexual deviancy, or something along those lines.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 22, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.