Turn on thread page Beta

2nd opinion on the NHS watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

Long story short, I have torn my ACL on my knee end of last year and can't say I have been happy with the docs I have seen at my local hospital in London (ironically, they have one of the best ortho dept in the country...:confused:), so I was recommanded an ortho doc up in Derby by a really close friend of mine; this doc up in Derby has treated my friend and is a really good friend to her family etc etc... anyway, he has agreed to see me to give me a 2nd opinion and possibly move over my treatment to his term all together. But now the problem, he only works for the NHS, so paying him privately is not an option. He told me all I need to do is to get my GP to make a referral and everything should be OK. He has also agreed to take me on as an extra, which mean I wouldn't have to be put on the waiting list, so everything is agreed from his side. However, when I last visited my GP, I mentioned this (it was before I made contact to this doc), my GP says my request might or might not be granted by my local PCT and it might take forever for such thing to go through. So my question is anybody has any personal experience with trying to get a 2nd opoinon on th NHS? I know what the system is like and what the NHS website says etc etc, so thanks to those who want to tell me what I already know. I am interested in personal experiences. I would pay him as a privta patient if I could, but sadly I can't hence have to pay this silly game with the NHS.

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    You don't have the automatic right to a 2nd opinion within the NHS. However, the BMA guidelines state "doctors should always respect a patient's wish to obtain one unless there are justifiable reasons for refusal, e.g. it is perceived that the patient might come to harm as a result."

Information here: http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/910.aspx...CategoryID=156

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 5, 2011
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.