Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I'm a mature student starting at Southampton Uni this September. I'm at a bit of a loss as to what I'm going to do with my car...

I need my car for a variety of mundane things, namely work and visiting my boyfriend. Definitely nothing I can imagine the uni finding that exceptional. I've looked up the parking regulations and it specifically rules out using part time work as a reason to be allowed a parking permit.

I want to move into halls in September. Does anyone have any experience of people getting a parking permit without a medical reason? I feel like as an independent student, they can hardly expect me to sell my car, especially when I do still need it. I'd happily shell out £££ for a permit but that doesn't even look like an option. I literally have nowhere to keep a car except with me. Will I be able to find street parking in walking distance of halls?

ReputationRep:
    Depends where you are living. I live in Glen Eyre, am a fresher and have found some sneaky spots nearby. Only around 10-15 minutes from halls. If you're living in Wessex Lane then unfortunately I cannot help!

ReputationRep:
    I no here are some places around glen eyre when i was a fresher. there is also winn road but that is the other side of portswood high street so would be a walk from halls.
    to be honest a lot of people dont have cars when they are a student because there is no place to park in halls. athough a few parked in the car parking spaces in halls and weret clamped until the summer term- not that i would say its a good idea since you are meant to have a permit to park there and they could clamp it at any time!

ReputationRep:
    Right outside wessex lane there is parking and then loads round the corner. When my mates visit they have no problems

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katebrighteyes)
    Right outside wessex lane there is parking and then loads round the corner. When my mates visit they have no problems
    Is this free parking?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kenty0092)
    Is this free parking?
    Pretty sure it is yes.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Thank you so much for this I feel a lot better. Might still try and grovel for a permit but I do feel much better thanks

ReputationRep:
    Yeah Wessex Lane is surrounded by a road which has nothing but a tiny bit of double yellow lines right outside the entrance and thats it, loads of people park their cars along this road.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.