Turn on thread page Beta

For wellbeing: better to have hobbies outside of your career or make your career one? watch

Unfortunately I suffer from mild depression. I'm on medication but was also thinking about taking up a hobby to help counter the effects and improve wellbeing. I then thought how would I manage a hobby alongside a career/relationships? Surely, this would put more strain on me/make me more depressed if anything? It would strain the commitment on the the career/relationships aspects even.

So what is better to do: is it better to have hobbies outside of your career or make a career a hobby? Seeing as how my hobby is tennis, its hard how I can make it a career.

ReputationRep:
    Make your career one, then it's not like working, it's basically being paid to have fun !

(Original post by SkinFadeHaircut)
    Make your career one, then it's not like working, it's basically being paid to have fun !
    How could I make a career in tennis without being a tennis player lol! I'm doing a maths degree!

ReputationRep:
    You could train to be a coach? Or sports therapist?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Unfortunately I suffer from mild depression. I'm on medication but was also thinking about taking up a hobby to help counter the effects and improve wellbeing. I then thought how would I manage a hobby alongside a career/relationships? Surely, this would put more strain on me/make me more depressed if anything? It would strain the commitment on the the career/relationships aspects even.

So what is better to do: is it better to have hobbies outside of your career or make a career a hobby? Seeing as how my hobby is tennis, its hard how I can make it a career.
    No. Exercise makes your body release endorphins which is a hormone that makes you happy.

So is everyone saying my hobby should be my career?

ReputationRep:
    No its not a good idea to have your career as your hobby, i'm at drama school doing musical theatre and i was doing amatuer shows in my spare time and it just makes you hate your career.

if i was a secretary i woudnt do secretary-things in my spare time. i personaly dont think its healthy.

if you love tennis just do tennis as your hobby alongside your maths degree x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    How could I make a career in tennis without being a tennis player lol! I'm doing a maths degree!
    Stop doing your degree, start tennis. But in the real world that's unrealistic. So for now, just work and have your hobbies on the side :P

ReputationRep:
    Use your maths degree to design a new hi-tech new tennis ball/racket?

(Original post by jonski)
    Use your maths degree to design a new hi-tech new tennis ball/racket?
    Now this is an amazing coicidence, since I've seen a post by you somethig similar about this which really got to me a while back (related to a book that was recomed). You discussed something about your career being your hobby but is this such a good idea, is it even practical really? I mean I'd love to design a new-high tech racket as part of the tennis hobby but is this really practical? I mean how many careers like these are there around and is it worth working towards if it relates vaguely to your hobby? I mean I enjoy playing and watching tennis but I have absolutely no interest in the mecahnics of a lot of it such as design, PR, advertising, etc...basically anything else that relates to the aspect of tennis apart from the two I've mentioned. I mean maybe I have some interest, but not something worth pursuing for a career.
    Thanks for that.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 4, 2011
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.