The Student Room Group

What do you think guy's when you see this...

This poll is closed

When i see that picture I

Know that we have no chance of saving the earth if those polluting giants continue belching 18%
I feel sad that the ice is melting and there is nothing we have done 9%
I feel angry that humans have caused this and are now increasing emmisions 24%
An attractive young woman with an amazing new talent to the music industry49%
Total votes: 115

it's sad because the earth has already been heavily polluted and instead of people realizing we need to emit less pollution, in fact coal burning is on the rise and more coal is being burned now more than ever

Scroll to see replies

It's the hard knock life, for us...

The image itself I quite like actually.
Yes but it continues to power us and will do for the foreseeable future.

Sorry but money makes this world go round, as much as the Green Revolution is necessary the power needs of this worlds population simply won't see it carried out anytime soon due to cost demands. Not to mention even if the Western World winds down its Coal Burning China will simply continue to increase it given there large supplies and growing power needs. They won't be persuaded otherwise seeing as our economies largely depend on them.
Reply 3
Reminds me of when I pass the Didcot area on the Great Western Train to London Paddington.
Looks quite cool.
I start imagining the possibilities if you filled that burner to the brim with marijuana.
Reply 6
Psst, Nuclear Reactors don't have any adverse effects on the environment. Its just steam. :wink:

Unless of course they are breached, or the waste seeps. But still, the only by product of a functioning, in good condition reactor system is steam and power.

Don't be such a deep ecologist. :wink:
Reply 7
So, three negative answers and one irrelevant one. Not a leading question at all OP!
Original post by DH-Biker
Psst, Nuclear Reactors don't have any adverse effects on the environment. Its just steam. :wink:

Unless of course they are breached, or the waste seeps. But still, the only by product of a functioning, in good condition reactor system is steam and power.

Don't be such a deep ecologist. :wink:

it's not just steam, its coal, a gas that is a huge contributor to global warming, there is also methane and burning of gas(flaring) as well as sulphur and other toxic gases
Maybe i'm being naive, but isn't a lot of that just water vapour?
Reply 10
I think, gosh this person doesn't realise all that 'pollution' is simply water vapour, and therefore has a discountable opinion at best.
The power plant, it's beautiful...
Reply 12
Those were some nice options to choose from in the poll OP...

Original post by amiparanoid
Maybe i'm being naive, but isn't a lot of that just water vapour?

Water vapour, from burning coal? Are you kidding?
Reply 13
A tad loaded poll there. On the other hand that does look like a coal power plant and not a nuclear power plant so I don't quite think all the "IT'S JUST STEAM!!" people have much of a point. I'm personally very much pro-nuclear power. From what I remember from A-level chemistry the long chimney indicates a steam powerplant.

On an unrelated note that is a very well done picture, I've had a look around for a higher resolution for my wallpaper slideshow but I can't find any at 1080p
Reply 14
Original post by BlackpoollasVegas
it's not just steam, its coal, a gas that is a huge contributor to global warming, there is also methane and burning of gas(flaring) as well as sulphur and other toxic gases

True. Indeed they do.

Still, if you can find practical, quick, effective alternatives, I'm sure the World's Governments are all ears. :colondollar:
More nuclear power plants please.

However, coal is cheap and domestically available in most places. What we need are cleaner coal plants, which is incidentally what I'm trying to work on.
Original post by Bunkd
I think, gosh this person doesn't realise all that 'pollution' is simply water vapour, and therefore has a discountable opinion at best.

Not really. The concave cooling towers release vapour, but the taller stacks do release products from the burning of coal, which is what's being used as if I'm not mistaken that's Drax, albeit from a different angle.

It makes me sad that we still have a dependence on coal, but we're doing more than just about any other nation to rectify that. 10 new nuclear plants within 15 years (although they should already have been built, and in greater numbers) and we've got something like 30-40GW of offshore and on shore wind turbines coming down the pipe alongside the 5GW of installed capacity and the further 5 being built at the moment. Then there's tidal and wave turbines, which we're investing a lot in.
Reply 17
It's steam dumbass.
Reply 18
Original post by Bunkd

+rep for basically saying exactly what I was thinking.
Your poll options are very biased towards the environment...

Not at all reliable / representative of the nation's views.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending