The Student Room Group

What do you think guy's when you see this...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by b3nz3n3
The wide cooling towers are just giving off water vapour. This is because the coal/gas which is burnt heats up water into steam which then powers a turbine connected to a generator that creates the electricity.

The spindley chimneys on the right are giving off co2 and carbon particulates aswell as water vapour- which are the products of the combustion of the fuel. While it would appear that the plant is giving off a **** load of pollution, in reality the only damage is from the relativley smaller chimneys, which contribute to acid rain and global warming.

The wider chimneys do burn coal, that is why half of the chimney is black where its been burnt by the coal smoke. All of these factories burn coal, I should know, they are near to my home for goodness sake
Reply 41
Original post by BlackpoollasVegas
The wider chimneys do burn coal, that is why half of the chimney is black where its been burnt by the coal smoke. All of these factories burn coal, I should know, they are near to my home for goodness sake

No, they are cooling towers. The black is from the smoke of the neighbouring chimneys being deposited on the concrete. Do you really believe the smoke would be hot enough to scorch and burn concrete from the inside?
Original post by goose1990
Even if we stopped releasing CO2 now global warming would still happen according to the current models as it's not reabsorbed fast enough. The world has heated up before and was probably on a path to much hotter even before we came along and sped it up; we'll be fine, some people will suffer and we should try and help them but banning things like that coal station would cause immediate massive damage! Also, who knows, the climate's so complex with the butterfly effect etc. that it could all go the other way! I'm pretty sure I'm right in saying that the climate hasn't heated up in a decade?!

This wouldn't of have happened if it weren't for humans. the Amazon rain forest used to be full of life, untouched by humans up to 200 years ago when deforestation began and has gradually been getting worse. the Amazon rainforest used to keep the environment stable but now its had the chop that also effects the environment in a negative way. In fact 0nly 27% of the Amazon rainforest is left and that is expected to be completely gone within 4 years
Reply 43
Do you really how much these smokestack (factories) in the picture have and continue to contribute to global warming? They are constantly burning coal, polluting the skies, making the air dirty, and they never stop, not even for a damn second they are constantly belching out smoke non stop.

You do realize that the ice caps such as the north pole and other glaciers have already melted and what is left is hanging on by a thread but is only a matter of time before they collapse to. maybe 2-3years maximum

Its people like you who don't give a damn who are responsible for the sad destruction of the earth and the bad state its in now. i hope you don't have 10kids?:angry:

Woah! Calm down! I was referring to the actual photography, you know the light and the frame and set up of the photograph? Theres no need to be so aggressive. I do realise that theres global warming, but I also think the media makes it more than it really is. I think global warming occurs anyway, although I don't deny we sped up the process a tad, but if you look back through history evidence shows that this is the normal cycle of the earth, it's not a new thing. And the icecaps are going to last a lot longer that 2-3 years that is a frankly ridiculous statement. I do give a damn, I just don't have a go at people and over react like you are. I also hope I don't have 10 kids :tongue: I'm prepared to put up with childbirth a couple of times, but theres no way I'm going through that 10 times! I mean OW! lol.
Original post by b3nz3n3
No, they are cooling towers. The black is from the smoke of the neighbouring chimneys being deposited on the concrete. Do you really believe the smoke would be hot enough to scorch and burn concrete from the inside?

Well the smoke pollution from a crematorium can reach 800 0c, but although coal may not burn as hot they still burn out smoke at well over three hundred degrees, hence how it is warming the sky, melting the ice caps
Reply 45
Well the smoke pollution from a crematorium can reach 800 0c, but although coal may not burn as hot they still burn out smoke at well over three hundred degrees, hence how it is warming the sky, melting the ice caps

even 300 c is not sufficient enough to scorch concrete from the inside out. And global warming is not a consequence of the heat of the carbon dioxide, but the absorbtion properties of co2 of infa red from the sun.
Original post by emilymay
Woah! Calm down! I was referring to the actual photography, you know the light and the frame and set up of the photograph? Theres no need to be so aggressive. I do realise that theres global warming, but I also think the media makes it more than it really is. I think global warming occurs anyway, although I don't deny we sped up the process a tad, but if you look back through history evidence shows that this is the normal cycle of the earth, it's not a new thing. And the icecaps are going to last a lot longer that 2-3 years that is a frankly ridiculous statement. I do give a damn, I just don't have a go at people and over react like you are. I also hope I don't have 10 kids :tongue: I'm prepared to put up with childbirth a couple of times, but theres no way I'm going through that 10 times! I mean OW! lol.

If you/anybody have kids that is the reason for the earths destruction, overpopulation! It is a scientific fact that all the earths ice caps may melt well within the next 3 years. scientists didn't think the ice would melt so fast but due to over population the ice has been melting extremely fast and many glaciers have melted years before expected.

You want kids? imagine them growing up, having to wear GAS masks and droughts everywhere and pollution all around the earth. this will happen and is in certain places. it was only expected as most people say they don't give a damn.

We don't have normal weather patterns no more, it rained once this month! just once. snow is Las Vegas! rain in north pole! crazy deep snow in britain, purple rain in australia
Original post by b3nz3n3
even 300 c is not sufficient enough to scorch concrete from the inside out. And global warming is not a consequence of the heat of the carbon dioxide, but the absorbtion properties of co2 of infa red from the sun.

I'm guessing it s 300 it may be 700 i'm not sure but i do know it produces a heck of a lot of heat. Maybe it doesn't burning the concrete from the inside out, it could be after its belched out from the top and it then scorches the concrete.
Home :smile:
That poll was a little limited, you should have had an option for "I don't care" or... well the fact that that's just one example, and looking at that really doesn't mean anything if you don't see the whole picture.

it's sad because the earth has already been heavily polluted and instead of people realizing we need to emit less pollution, in fact coal burning is on the rise and more coal is being burned now more than ever

You do realise that those are cooling towers and the only substance they're generating is harmless H2O? The image is startling to those not familiar with industrial processes at even a basic level, but really it's meaningless.
Energy demand a consequence of our consumer society. You obviously aren't bothered enough by it because you're using electricity to power your computer to post this.

That was a bit cheap of me, but you can't start the guilt trip game without first accepting that EVERYONE in a modern western society depends on these things. The most powerful weapon you as an individual have in your arsenal is the pen with which you mark the ballot paper. I agree more than ever that something must be done now, but people need to start pressuring parliament and making full use of the electoral system in order to influence future energy policies.
Original post by JayTeeKay
You do realise that those are cooling towers and the only substance they're generating is harmless H2O? The image is startling to those not familiar with industrial processes at even a basic level, but really it's meaningless.
Energy demand a consequence of our consumer society. You obviously aren't bothered enough by it because you're using electricity to power your computer to post this.

That was a bit cheap of me, but you can't start the guilt trip game without first accepting that EVERYONE in a modern western society depends on these things. The most powerful weapon you as an individual have in your arsenal is the pen with which you mark the ballot paper. I agree more than ever that something must be done now, but people need to start pressuring parliament and making full use of the electoral system in order to influence future energy policies.

I live near them, they all burn coal thats why the factories are burnt black because of the coal that has been scorched onto it due to the heat
Reply 52
I think the options I have to pick from are ****ing retarded.
I live near them, they all burn coal thats why the factories are burnt black because of the coal that has been scorched onto it due to the heat

Yes, but the image you supplied is of cooling towers. Those large white plumes are just water vapour. Emotive imagery? Yes. A source of pollution? No.

I would suggest becoming familiar with basic industrial processes/chemistry, else you will only make yourself appear foolish. I can assure you the black marks are due to soot/weathering and not scorching.

I agree with the basic message you're trying to convey, but you're not conveying it correctly and all that does is give those who refuse to consider the notion of climate change (more often than not morons with no scientific knowledge) more ammunition for their rhetoric.
Yes, but the image you supplied is of cooling towers. Those large white plumes are just water vapour. Emotive imagery? Yes. A source of pollution? No.

I would suggest becoming familiar with basic industrial processes/chemistry, else you will only make yourself appear foolish. I can assure you the black marks are due to soot/weathering and not scorching.

I agree with the basic message you're trying to convey, but you're not conveying it correctly and all that does is give those who refuse to consider the notion of climate change (more often than not morons with no scientific knowledge) more ammunition for their rhetoric.

okay, so how many of the factories from my photo are actually harmful to the environment?
okay, so how many of the factories from my photo are actually harmful to the environment?

It's a single power station. It is harmful to the environment in that carbon dioxide, particulates and other forms of pollution are by-products of coal burning (if it indeed does burn coal).
It's a single power station. It is harmful to the environment in that carbon dioxide, particulates and other forms of pollution are by-products of coal burning (if it indeed does burn coal).

yes but how many of the smokestacks in my photo create harmful gases towards the enviroment

yes but how many of the smokestacks in my photo create harmful gases towards the enviroment

It seems like you're missing the point. i don't mean to intrude here on this little conversation, but I think he's saying that (correct me if I'm wrong man) that yes, large scale pollution is a problem, but coming on here and creating a thread in which it shows that you aren't adequately educated on the matter doesn't really help the problem.

Of course I agree that pollution is bad and we should do more things to help the environment, but this is just a result of the increasing demand on products due to increasing population. There are things we can do to reduce this and we are becoming more green as time goes on but it does take time; both to develop the equipment/technology and also to make it affordable.

Solar panels have been around for a little while now and are great but how many people have them installed on their homes/around their apartments? It's just too expensive for the average person right now... for a short term gain anyway.
Reply 58
I think about the power of human endeavor and all the progress we have made. Thanks to that we can power hospitals, we can have lights so we can do things at night rather than having to sleep, we can use computers to talk to people around the world.

I miss the optimistic Victorian attitude to technology. It's so much better than all this doom and gloom.
Reply 59
I would take that pic and frame it in my room .. it would go well with the colour scheme in my room

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending