Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Do you never get the urge to drop it all? watch

ReputationRep:
    Just leave....

buy a plot of land somewhere and grow your own food.get away from the hectic, stressful life we live in. Leave politics behind, finance a distance memory and just the way of life today in general to disappear.

no?

This isn't a troll, or an attempt to get attention. It just something I've been thinking of and wandered if anyone else thinks it.

Sometimes I wonder if I could take my surf board to some island in the pacific, buy a shack by the beach and life off the land. Never to worry about the problems of debt, jobs, promotions, uni, etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bestofyou)
    Just leave....

buy a plot of land somewhere and grow your own food.get away from the hectic, stressful life we live in. Leave politics behind, finance a distance memory and just the way of life today in general to disappear.

no?

This isn't a troll, or an attempt to get attention. It just something I've been thinking of and wandered if anyone else thinks it.

Sometimes I wonder if I could take my surf board to some island in the pacific, buy a shack by the beach and life off the land. Never to worry about the problems of debt, jobs, promotions, uni, etc.
    yeah, I have actually thought about that - just living on a desert island with my friends with nothing to worry about except what the weather will be like tomorrow...

but I'm starting to learn to be more care free and laid back without losing control or dropping in performance, so life's good these days

ReputationRep:
    Sadly not, apparently I thrive off stress. What you describe (getting away from it all, being somewhere without stress or work, relaxing etc) basically sums up the summer holidays for me. And I hate it. Hate it, hate it, hate it. After two weeks I want to get back to uni. If I "dropped it all" I literally wouldn't know what to do with myself, I'd feel so bored I'd probably go mad.

My mother says I'm a workaholic. That doesn't really bother me :king1:

ReputationRep:
    yes cause the money for land is so easy to come by....

ReputationRep:
    I sometimes feel like quitting my job, leave uni, and just generally get more sleep and be less stressed out.

But then I think of how long I've worked for this, and how much I would regret it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    Sadly not, apparently I thrive off stress. What you describe (getting away from it all, being somewhere without stress or work, relaxing etc) basically sums up the summer holidays for me. And I hate it. Hate it, hate it, hate it. After two weeks I want to get back to uni. If I "dropped it all" I literally wouldn't know what to do with myself, I'd feel so bored I'd probably go mad.

My mother says I'm a workaholic. That doesn't really bother me :king1:
    I don't mean like drop it all and live off the dole, that would be incredibly boring.haha

If you did something like I said you could surf all day, you'll spend alot of time getting food, fishing, collecting fruits, growing veg or rearing livestock. You would certainly have stress, but it would be the good kind that motivates you to get things done.

ReputationRep:
    no.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kopite493)
    yes cause the money for land is so easy to come by....
    one/two years of full time work in a decent job and you have more than enough. I'm not talking about a villa in the south of france here.

more like this

ReputationRep:
    I don't mean like drop it all and live off the dole, that would be incredibly boring.

If you did something like I said you could surf all day, you'll spend alot of time getting food, fishing, collecting fruits, growing veg or rearing livestock. You would certainly have stress, but it would be the good kind that motivates you to get things done.
    No, that's too simple for me, it's not challenging enough...I'd find it so unstimulating and boring

It's a stress-free existence for sure, but it doesn't have any meaning or higher purpose, whereas the pursuit of knowledge does. I hope that didn't sound too pretentious, but ultimately I'm made for academia not farming.

If that lifestyle appeals to you however, why don't you make it happen? Live the dream

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    No, that's too simple for me, it's not challenging enough...I'd find it so unstimulating and boring

It's a stress-free existence for sure, but it doesn't have any meaning or higher purpose, whereas the pursuit of knowledge does. I hope that didn't sound too pretentious, but ultimately I'm made for academia not farming.

If that lifestyle appeals to you however, why don't you make it happen? Live the dream
    Will I'm going to go to uni and complete that milestone first. Then some more traveling after that. If my chosen career isn't working out, which involves a lot of traveling anyway, then I more than likely will start to consider hoofing it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Refrigerator)
    yeah, I have actually thought about that - just living on a desert island with my friends with nothing to worry about except what the weather will be like tomorrow...

but I'm starting to learn to be more care free and laid back without losing control or dropping in performance, so life's good these days
    lol, when I read this the first time, I thought that you said the desert. I thought, who would think its a good idea to live in the desert? And the next day's weather is always going to be sunny and clear and 40+ min temp.lol

Yeah, I'm the same as you, although I work hard etc. When I feel myself getting stressed I step back and think...who gives a ****, then bob marley's 'Jamming' comes into my head.

ReputationRep:
    No, I'd find that to be meaningless. Maybe for a short period to clear my thoughts, but that wouldn't be feasible.

ReputationRep:
    Not at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    Its what I dream of doing - and plan to do. That or buy a camper van or barge and just travel round the UK.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shroob)
    Its what I dream of doing - and plan to do. That or buy a camper van or barge and just travel round the UK.
    wouldn't that make you a gypsy?

ReputationRep:
    wouldn't that make you a gypsy?
    Probably. Though not in the sense of C4's Gypsy Wedding...

My family came really close to packing it all in and moving up to Dumfries and Galloway, but circumstances changed unfortunately. Something they still plan to do though.

I would like to do some travelling first - if that means being a Gypsy so be it. One day I'd like a small holding, already got chickens, turkeys, ducks and quail. Soon we'll be getting pigs and goats. Not quite the Simple Life just yet, but on our way there.

The UK is under-rated in my opinion, although I've always wanted to live somewhere else, I've always planned on coming back.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.