Turn on thread page Beta

Anybody listening to Radio 5 Live right now? watch

ReputationRep:
    Intense debate. Seriously intense on Northern Ireland.

ReputationRep:
    13 year old? I thought it was a policeman?

ReputationRep:
    I'm starting to think union with Ireland would probably be for the best, the loyalist backlash would eventually back down and disappear as long as particular provisions were made to ensure the protection of the protestant communities.

Religious differences will fade away, but national identity will always be there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by garethDT)
    I'm starting to think union with Ireland would probably be for the best, the loyalist backlash would eventually back down and disappear as long as particular provisions were made to ensure the protection of the protestant communities.

Religious differences will fade away, but national identity will always be there.
    So just give in to terrorists? What a great precedent that would set.
    There is no evidence that the Loyalist's would ever backdown. As you said national identity will always be there, and they have no desire to be part of the Republic.
    Opinion polls show that the majority of Northern Ireland wish to remain part of the UK. A small majority, but a majority none the less. Case closed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pol pot noodles)
    So just give in to terrorists? What a great precedent that would set.
    There is no evidence that the Loyalist's would ever backdown. As you said national identity will always be there, and they have no desire to be part of the Republic.
    Opinion polls show that the majority of Northern Ireland wish to remain part of the UK. A small majority, but a majority none the less. Case closed.
    Even the loyalists have dual identity, if they became part of the republic, how would they explain to their children that they were somehow not Irish despite their family having lived there for generations?

Majority rule clearly isn't working, I think this is one instance where the majority is clearly in the wrong, clinging on to false ideals of imperialism and sectarianism. In a secular Irish republic, the 'troubles' would disappear within one or two generations.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by garethDT)
    Even the loyalists have dual identity, if they became part of the republic, how would they explain to their children that they were somehow not Irish despite their family having lived there for generations?

Majority rule clearly isn't working, I think this is one instance where the majority is clearly in the wrong, clinging on to false ideals of imperialism and sectarianism. In a secular Irish republic, the 'troubles' would disappear within one or two generations.
    It's not about religion. The Loyalists aren't fighting to remain part of a Protestant country, they are fighting to remain part of the UK or not part of the Republic. They've taken up arms for their cause, and if the IRA refuse to 'back down' I fail to see how you have come to the conclusion the Loyalists will.
    And it's not about them not being Irish, it's about them not being Republic of Ireland Irish. In their eyes they are British Irish or Ulster Irish.

Majority rule is working, there has been peace for 13 years. The few stubborn IRA hardliners should not be able to dictate their will upon the many, and for you to even suggest we should ignore the will of the majority together with your rhetoric about Imperialism shows that you are nothing more than an IRA sympathiser who has a romanticised view of Northern Ireland as the happy-go-lucky do gooding underdog being oppressed by the big evil Englishman. This is false. They want us there. End of.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 4, 2011
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.