Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Basically, I've had a lot of hassle from my ex's new girlfriend and a few weeks ago she came here, barged her way through my front door and intimidated me, saying she'd take Harry (my 5 year old son) and got in my face. I got scared, so I shoved her out the door, she came back in and I slapped her on the cheek, I mainly missed but I did make contact. She called the police on me, as I did to her, and they gave her a warning for intimidation and common trespass, and me a warning for common assault. I signed an ARD (Adult restorative disorder) basically admitting I was wrong (I was so I did admit it, I'm not a violent person by any means) and that I made an apology to her.

Anyway, my point is I want to be a teacher and need to start voluntary work soon and obviously will need an enhanced CRB check for that. I realise the warning will show up on the check, I fully expect that but I wonder if you know how it will affect my chances? I was thinking if I was honest at a chat and explain to the school the scenario and what happened, they might understand? I've not had so much as a parking fine before so this is really scaring me and I am frightened I have ruined my job prospects If you could me any advice, I'd really appreciate it. Thank you so much.

ReputationRep:
    Also just to add its not a conviction or even a caution, it was a friendly warning from the cops (who said while they didn't agree with me slapping her, it was somewhat understandable given her state at the time and the fact she barged in to my property), so I don't have to disclose it in any way but shall I be honest?

ReputationRep:
    Heya
    basically I have the same problem but a few years ago in my teens I slapped someone the police got involved and then i got told off and I've been scared about my crb ever since!
    I am still waiting for them to say wait a minute you can't be a teacher so I found a charity which I will contact if thats the case.
    They're called Nacro and they might be able to help you?
    Its worth giving them a call if needs be and I hope this doesn't damage your future dreams!

I think you should talk to wherever you are planning to volunteer and tell them the circumstances of the warning as it probably will show up in an enhanced CRB check. They may be quite apprehensive as you've said this incident was quite recent and also it relates to an assault but all you can do is try to reassure them that this was an isolated incident. You might also want to run this by course providers and gauge their reponse as again they would be wanting to CRB check.

ReputationRep:
    I am so upset this one stupid incident could wreck everything. I have worked with children since I was 16 years old when I became a Brownie leader, then I worked in the children's area at my local library, running their story time sessions, I have volunteered at my son's nursery countless times and then became a lunch time supervisor there for a while. I am hoping all this will go in my favour over this stupid warning over a complete mistake that wasn't even meant to happen, but did because someone threatened me. The police said they think it won't matter if I explain how it happened because of my previous work history with children and my passion for a teaching career, but it still scares me

ReputationRep:
    It also depends how old you are. If you were 18-23ish and it was a one time non serious thing they can overlook as a youthful mistake.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chloejs)
    Basically, I've had a lot of hassle from my ex's new girlfriend and a few weeks ago she came here, barged her way through my front door and intimidated me, saying she'd take Harry (my 5 year old son) and got in my face. I got scared, so I shoved her out the door, she came back in and I slapped her on the cheek, I mainly missed but I did make contact. She called the police on me, as I did to her, and they gave her a warning for intimidation and common trespass, and me a warning for common assault. I signed an ARD (Adult restorative disorder) basically admitting I was wrong (I was so I did admit it, I'm not a violent person by any means) and that I made an apology to her.

Anyway, my point is I want to be a teacher and need to start voluntary work soon and obviously will need an enhanced CRB check for that. I realise the warning will show up on the check, I fully expect that but I wonder if you know how it will affect my chances? I was thinking if I was honest at a chat and explain to the school the scenario and what happened, they might understand? I've not had so much as a parking fine before so this is really scaring me and I am frightened I have ruined my job prospects If you could me any advice, I'd really appreciate it. Thank you so much.
    Imagine I am a teacher at a school you are interested in gaining experience or working at, who has seen your enhanced CRB. Can you answer the following questions: why did you (twice) let her into your house; what kind of example do you think your conduct sets for your son; and how can I trust you not to assault a pupil who also gets in your face? Suggesting you are not a violent person is simply ludicrous, and whether or not you admit that it was your fault is both debatable and negligible because you spent the first paragraph justifying your behaviour rather than actually getting to the point (i.e. will it ruin your chances of entering the teaching profession).

You allowed to situation to escalate into something much worse for both of you, which a good would not allow to happen in 95% of cases, and even if there is some complex family issue behind this (i.e. you denying the father proper contact, thus his current girlfriend feels obliged to get involved or whatever), I cannot imagine most teachers being sympathetic. Most schools are incredibly tough on GBH charges, and while you might be able to get some unpaid experience in schools or onto a PGCE it is another matter when you try to find full-time employment. My advice would be to contact as many local schools as possible to see where they stand on this issue, and be as clear as possible; do not tell them the situation, simply ask them whether they are willing to take someone on with this on their CRB. If they are interested they will almost certainly ask what happened anyway.

I am not trying to put you off necessarily, but you have to be realistic: would a school rather take a candidate with a clean CRB or one who had a past of GBH? A lot will also depend on which area you want to work in too. If you want to work as a secondary-school mathematics teacher then they are far more likely to let you off with indiscretions. My feeling is that you probably want to work in primary though...

ReputationRep:
    I think you should be honest about it. I know the school caretaker at my old school got cautioned for a scrabble he had outside a pub 10 years before he started working there and they were realistic about it and realised that it was in the past.
    If you are open about it, it looks alot better than trying to cover it up. If you cover it up and it comes out on CRB they will more than likely be told to get rid of you as it looks suspicious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by evantej)
    Imagine I am a teacher at a school you are interested in gaining experience or working at, who has seen your enhanced CRB. Can you answer the following questions: why did you (twice) let her into your house; what kind of example do you think your conduct sets for your son; and how can I trust you not to assault a pupil who also gets in your face? Suggesting you are not a violent person is simply ludicrous, and whether or not you admit that it was your fault is both debatable and negligible because you spent the first paragraph justifying your behaviour rather than actually getting to the point (i.e. will it ruin your chances of entering the teaching profession).

You allowed to situation to escalate into something much worse for both of you, which a good would not allow to happen in 95% of cases, and even if there is some complex family issue behind this (i.e. you denying the father proper contact, thus his current girlfriend feels obliged to get involved or whatever), I cannot imagine most teachers being sympathetic. Most schools are incredibly tough on GBH charges, and while you might be able to get some unpaid experience in schools or onto a PGCE it is another matter when you try to find full-time employment. My advice would be to contact as many local schools as possible to see where they stand on this issue, and be as clear as possible; do not tell them the situation, simply ask them whether they are willing to take someone on with this on their CRB. If they are interested they will almost certainly ask what happened anyway.

I am not trying to put you off necessarily, but you have to be realistic: would a school rather take a candidate with a clean CRB or one who had a past of GBH? A lot will also depend on which area you want to work in too. If you want to work as a secondary-school mathematics teacher then they are far more likely to let you off with indiscretions. My feeling is that you probably want to work in primary though...
    Wow, thanks a lot. It was NOT GBH, not anywhere near thank you very much, it was a mere slap because she barged past me at my front door (I didn't answer it, my ex partner did) when I told her to leave, and as I said she got a warning too. It was a WARNING, not a caution, not a conviction, nothing.

Also, you have no idea about my circumstances so don't even go there thank you very much. My ex has as much contact as he wants with our son, she got her nose stuck in because she didn't want him there that evening, so decided to take matters into her own hands, hence her own warning from the police about staying away from me and my property.

I really find it wrong that you go on about GBH because that is incredibly different. As I said it was a friendly warning for it, it was "common assault" and nothing more than that, and the policemen said it wouldn't affect my chances, even on an enhanced CRB. However people like you see fit to come on here and upset someone who has clearly made a mistake and desperately wants to carry on with my career, and you choose to a) make it into more than it was, b) make assumptions on which you have NO basis whatsoever and c) don't say anything that could be classed as helpful.

Thank you for nothing.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    the policemen said it wouldn't affect my chances, even on an enhanced CRB.
    You will definitely be OK then (so long as these policemen all have second jobs as admission tutors, Headteachers and members of the GTCE).

In reality, this almost certainly won't scupper your chances but can I suggest you take a deep breath and count to ten before you fly off the handle next time? I understand this is enormously important to you but your reply to evantej was disproportionate - remember it was an emotional overreaction that created the situation you now find yourself in.

Is there a tin hat icon? I think I am going to need one.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, thanks a lot. It was NOT GBH, not anywhere near thank you very much, it was a mere slap because she barged past me at my front door (I didn't answer it, my ex partner did) when I told her to leave, and as I said she got a warning too. It was a WARNING, not a caution, not a conviction, nothing.

Also, you have no idea about my circumstances so don't even go there thank you very much. My ex has as much contact as he wants with our son, she got her nose stuck in because she didn't want him there that evening, so decided to take matters into her own hands, hence her own warning from the police about staying away from me and my property.

I really find it wrong that you go on about GBH because that is incredibly different. As I said it was a friendly warning for it, it was "common assault" and nothing more than that, and the policemen said it wouldn't affect my chances, even on an enhanced CRB. However people like you see fit to come on here and upset someone who has clearly made a mistake and desperately wants to carry on with my career, and you choose to a) make it into more than it was, b) make assumptions on which you have NO basis whatsoever and c) don't say anything that could be classed as helpful.

Thank you for nothing.
    Whether you received a warning, caution or conviction is completely irrelevant because you hit someone and if it is on your file then it will continue to be an issue for as long as you want to work in the education sector. I do not care if that upsets you. That is fact. Grow up and deal with it. In fact, the more I find out about the situation the more I am convinced about your complete lack of judgement; if your former partner was male then there was absolutely no reason for your behaviour. And the advice from the policeman is completely irrelevant; their judgement counts for absolutely nothing when it comes to education.

I do not honestly care whether you think I helped you or not (I did, actually), because no matter how much you think you have changed you will always have to deal with parents and teachers who will take one look at your record and question your suitability to teach, you will always have difficult pupils who will get in your face and push your buttons, and the simple fact is that you have shown under difficult circumstances that you lash out. A qualified teacher (head of department, in fact) on this website commented on a similar topic earlier today. He said that 'an explanation would be expected for any violent incident (however minor [my emphasis]) as well as anything that casts doubt on the potential teacher's honesty or good judgement'. Mistake or not, people will ask questions. They will not know your situation and will make assumptions. Deal with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    You will definitely be OK then (so long as these policemen all have second jobs as admission tutors, Headteachers and members of the GTCE).

In reality, this almost certainly won't scupper your chances but can I suggest you take a deep breath and count to ten before you fly off the handle next time? I understand this is enormously important to you but your reply to evantej was disproportionate - remember it was an emotional overreaction that created the situation you now find yourself in.

Is there a tin hat icon? I think I am going to need one.
    You beat me to the punch!

ReputationRep:
    Which is why I said I would be honest to any propsective employer. I have worked with children aged 3-10 for 8 years now, have dealt with VERY difficult children and never once lost my cool, not ever.

This woman was forcing her way into MY home, saying she was going to take my child as she didn't think I deserved him. I tried to ask her to leave, she shoved me backwards and I lashed out. I have NEVER hit another human being in my life and I was mortified the minute I did it, and apologised immediately, more than she did to me. It is something I am now going to regret for the rest of my life, but I am hoping my previous experience will count in my favour, the fact I will completely honest also about the whole situation and the fact that this is all I have ever wanted to do, and I am passionate about it, hence my upset.

And this line doesn't make any sense: if your former partner was male then there was absolutely no reason for your behaviour. - what has this got to do with anything?

And Mr M - one of the officers who came round was a former teacher, and head of department who changed careers, so I do think she had an idea what she was talking about

ReputationRep:
    Make sure you declare it before they get the CRB- it means that you can get the backround to it in, and also shows that you are an honest person, and probably very much regret your actions.

And since she wasn;t a child, it was a one off, and a very upsetting situation, I would hope you'd be fine.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by evantej)
    A qualified teacher (head of department, in fact)
    It makes no difference but I'm an Assistant Headteacher and not a Head of Mathematics btw.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teao the Cat)
    Make sure you declare it before they get the CRB- it means that you can get the backround to it in, and also shows that you are an honest person, and probably very much regret your actions.

And since she wasn;t a child, it was a one off, and a very upsetting situation, I would hope you'd be fine.
    Thank you. I have emailed 8 local schools, declaring what has happened and telling my previous experience with children and whether they think this would affect my opportunity of volunteering in their school so I guess I will wait and see what they say.

Yes, I deeply regret everything, I regret letting my ex open the door to her and I regret even engaging in conversation with her, I should have just called the police when she turned up. Even now, she drives past my house every day, she beeps at me when she sees me out, it's bordering on turning ugly but I am afraid to report her for fear of it going further and getting out of hand.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    You have more to lose than her. Keep cool.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    You have more to lose than her. Keep cool.
    I have been, I have ignored her every time she beeps at me, I lock the door and ignore her when she drives past, the police told me to be selfish about it, and I am. All I want is to finish my degree, get a good grade in the course I am doing this year and carry on with career, something I've always wanted to do. Thank you for the advice.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    Even now, she drives past my house every day, she beeps at me when she sees me out, it's bordering on turning ugly but I am afraid to report her for fear of it going further and getting out of hand.
    Have you reported this? erhaps write down whenever she does it with dates and times and such.. I'm sure that could be considered harrassment. Sounds like she's a bit metally not there to think she has some sort of right to someone else's child!

Poll
If a uni gives me an unconditional offer they....

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.