Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    In your opinion, how heavily effected do you belive a person's life is by the degree and university the study at? Do you think that they place you at a different place on a ladder In which you need to climb in order to reach the top? Or so you think that its mostly irrelevant as there as too many other factors involved? Would love to hear people's ideas

ReputationRep:
    I'm trying to figure this out myself at the moment, it's really bugging me and I'd love to hear some thoughts on the subject actually.

Personally I feel that degrees have become a standard that employers may look for and favor greatly, but it's by no means a life line and necessary ingredient to living a successful life. IMO it depends on what you want to do as a career. I see it as a fast-pass for a lot of management jobs in some ways. Whereas spending 3k-9k a year for a 5 day week to become a doctor can be justified however, I just don't know if that three years of your life and that amount of money is truly worth it for all those broader subjects which may land people in roles they could of worked up to while being paid.

I think a lot of people in the past few years are only at university because it shelters them from the harsh reality and gives them a brilliant social life for those last few years.. Who wouldn't want to hang onto being in school and being carefree after all?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    The university you go to and the degree you do does matter, but there is far more to getting a (good) job, and far more to being successful. It's certainly not irrelevant, but at the same time it's probably not as important as most people think.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on your priorities. If you want to reach the top of the food chain then you often also aspire to earn a load of cash and/or power.
    For others "reaching the top of the ladder" is getting that job they particularly wanted to do for little more than the fact they enjoy the work; rather than the financial motivation.

Either way, uni has changed my life in the last 6 months. The people you meet, the oppurtunities you have and your studies... these all come into their own and have undeniable impact on your outlook. Being a student becomes a huge part of lifestyle so yes I would argue that those years are very important and have a big impact on which route you take after.

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to think university would change for the better. My parents never went to university and I see how much they want me to go, and how proud they are that I got this far. I feel like those years really shape who you are, but that's also your childhood and youth as well. It might not be like something you'll definately need, but i think it makes things easier for you when you apply for jobs and stuff, as well. I've heard about people getting degrees in Chemistry or something, done really well, but never getting a job in that profession, and moving on to other job professions. I think it also depends on your goals. It's quiet hard to say really. Everyone's different, so I think it's a personal thing.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.