The Student Room Group

My 'Odd' Attitude to Food?

Hmm well been getting worried about my attitude to food lately, if it gets worse I will go and see a doctor but I thought posting on here to see if this is really so odd as it seems to me and other people might confirm or allay my worries.

Essentially, I am not anorexic, I'm 99% sure of that. I am a healthy 8 and a half stone at just over 5 ft, I've got a curvy figure which I love and I don't count calories excessively or anything like that.

But since moving to uni my attitude to food has got pretty odd, I eat the same thing every day pretty much and I rarely enjoy eating it, but there's nothing else I want to eat. To give an example of my diet:

Breakfast:
2 slices of wholemeal toast with bovril, glass of juice.

Lunch:
Feta cheese and cucumber sandwich, banana or apple, a couple of glasses of squash or water. Sometimes jelly, if I've remembered to make it.

Dinner: I always eat something because I know I should, but I never enjoy it. Sometimes a complicated salad, sometimes pasta with chicken and vegetables, sometimes an omelette, maybe once every month or so a pizza (of which I can only manage half). Maybe twice a week I'll realise its 11pm and I haven't eaten in nearly 12 hours and I'll have a slice of toast.

I drink constantly, if that makes any difference. Lots of water, squash, red bush tea ect - I'm constantly thirsty.

Tl:dr :I've almost completely lost my appetite and only eat out of neccessity.

It's not that I'm fussy, I eat pretty much anything apart from spicy food, which upsets my stomach, but is there an easily explainable reason for this loss of appetite?

I'm not pregnant, I'm healthy otherwise if a little lacking in energy, but I have had a pretty rough time in my personal life over the last 6 months, could that have something to do with it?

Reply 1
Original post by Deutsch_Beth
Hmm well been getting worried about my attitude to food lately, if it gets worse I will go and see a doctor but I thought posting on here to see if this is really so odd as it seems to me and other people might confirm or allay my worries.

Essentially, I am not anorexic, I'm 99% sure of that. I am a healthy 8 and a half stone at just over 5 ft, I've got a curvy figure which I love and I don't count calories excessively or anything like that.

But since moving to uni my attitude to food has got pretty odd, I eat the same thing every day pretty much and I rarely enjoy eating it, but there's nothing else I want to eat. To give an example of my diet:

Breakfast:

Lunch:
Feta cheese and cucumber sandwich, banana or apple, a couple of glasses of squash or water. Sometimes jelly, if I've remembered to make it.

Dinner: I always eat something because I know I should, but I never enjoy it. Sometimes a complicated salad, sometimes pasta with chicken and vegetables, sometimes an omelette, maybe once every month or so a pizza (of which I can only manage half). Maybe twice a week I'll realise its 11pm and I haven't eaten in nearly 12 hours and I'll have a slice of toast.

I drink constantly, if that makes any difference. Lots of water, squash, red bush tea ect - I'm constantly thirsty.

It's not that I'm fussy, I eat pretty much anything apart from spicy food, which upsets my stomach, but is there an easily explainable reason for this loss of appetite?

I'm not pregnant, I'm healthy otherwise if a little lacking in energy, but I have had a pretty rough time in my personal life over the last 6 months, could that have something to do with it?

i wonder if you say 'i am awesome, im 99 percent sure of that' too:rolleyes:
As long as you're healthy and make sure you keep eating, I wouldn't be too too worried. Are you trying to lose weight? You could always try and introduce something extra, a little bit 'special', that maybe you can't normally afford a few times a week to mix things up a little?
Reply 3
No not trying to lose weight, and I've kind of tried that and sometimes it works, for example chorizo or butternut squash, but most of the time I wonder aimlessly around the supermarket feeling repulsed by everything I see, healthy or not :/
Reply 4
Essentially you are not enjoying food.

You probably know the image of a girl who got dumped, or upset otherwise, getting in front of the TV, crying over her problems and eating ice-cream.
Don't take this specific example too serious, but you get the idea.
When people have troubles in their lives, **** happens everywhere, some lose hair, some get acne, some get dandruff etc.
Some feel the urge to eat junk (leading to obesity) some feel they should eat less (leading to anorexia). There are a lot more eating disorders, and I'm not sure if what you got is an eating disorder, but you seem to think it is.

This all very general, but it's possible that it's just a way your reacting to it, and when your live get's back on track it might get better, but it might also be something completely different.

Breakfast:

Lunch:

I've pretty much always been like this, I don't eat food because I enjoy it, I'd much rather be on the computer than at the dinner table

everyday I, too, eat the same thing - cereal (crunchy nut/weetos) with a boiled egg and orange juice at breakfast, chips with baked beans and cheese with a large chocolate milkshake at lunch, and then whatever my mum makes for dinner

I, too, also can't take spicy food

When it's the school holidays and my mum's at work, I, too, forget to eat lunch

wow we should get married
Reply 6
Maybe you are ill?
Reply 7
if your constantly thirsty you could be diabetic. got to a pharmacy, alot of them do diabeties tests for free.

Other than that dont worry.
Original post by goddogit
i wonder if you say 'i am awesome, im 99 percent sure of that' too:rolleyes:

Maybe she does, but you should definitely say "I am an idiot, I'm 99 percent sure of that".
Reply 9
Original post by GAguy
Essentially you are not enjoying food.

You probably know the image of a girl who got dumped, or upset otherwise, getting in front of the TV, crying over her problems and eating ice-cream.
Don't take this specific example too serious, but you get the idea.
When people have troubles in their lives, **** happens everywhere, some lose hair, some get acne, some get dandruff etc.
Some feel the urge to eat junk (leading to obesity) some feel they should eat less (leading to anorexia). There are a lot more eating disorders, and I'm not sure if what you got is an eating disorder, but you seem to think it is.

This all very general, but it's possible that it's just a way your reacting to it, and when your live get's back on track it might get better, but it might also be something completely different.

Sounds feasible, not liking the sound of it as the personal issues are an ongoing thing, but I suppose if I know it is a cause then I can try and tackle it more head on.
Reply 10
I ate some Choc Gems today. That is all.

Starving much. :frown:
Original post by _brody_
if your constantly thirsty you could be diabetic. got to a pharmacy, alot of them do diabeties tests for free.

Other than that dont worry.

Hm, ok, wouldn't harm to do a check I suppose.

Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo
Maybe she does, but you should definitely say "I am an idiot, I'm 99 percent sure of that".

Lol, thanks for that, didn't quite know what to say to that first response.
if a little lacking in energy

You know why that is?
You aren't eating enough.
I cba to do the maths, but I am willing to bet you are eating a fair bit less that what you should be.

I mean, a peice of toast or just an omelette for dinner? Really?
Reply 13
How longs that been going on? I went through patches when I was a teenager when I didn't seem to have much of an appetite, but it never lasted more than a few months.

tbf, you probably don't eat much less than I do nowadays and I'm 15 stone.
When I'm havinga rough time or am very stressed I tend to lose my appetite too. Hopefully things will go back to normal when everything in your life has settled down. If its been going on a long time you might want to get checked out though. I also agree with the person that said to get a diabetes check done if you are constantly thirsty.
Reply 15
You need to man the **** up and eat a cow or something.

Breakfast:

Lunch:

sounds like me...i only eat when someone actually gives me food as i usually forget to eat...
even if my stomachs grumbling i actually wont feel hungry...its weird lol....just make sure u eat atleast 3 meals a day atleast cas if u dont then u will feel weak ...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending