The Student Room Group

Can you take a year out from your course?

I'm currently at one of the countries leading universities so I have no idea if the so called "prestige" affects my predicament. I'm currently not enjoying my course and contemplating quitting to pursue other things. However I was wondering, has anyone ever heard of Universities allowing you to take a year break and then perhaps resume your course as long as you pass the first year?
Reply 1
It really depends on the circumstances. Talk to your uni or SU ASAP about your predicament, although it may be a problem if you're not ill or have problems at home.
Reply 2
Hmm.. I don't have an excuse like problems at home however.. My reason would simply be that I really need a break from education so I'd have to conjure up a spectacular lie.. It would be great to hear from someone who's attempted to do it or done it themselves.
... What if you were going to have a baby? Would that count as special circumstances, and could you go back to uni when you'd got the whole birth and first months out of the way?

Not asking for myself, merely curious :rolleyes:
Reply 4
Original post by alharrison4
... What if you were going to have a baby? Would that count as special circumstances, and could you go back to uni when you'd got the whole birth and first months out of the way?

Not asking for myself, merely curious :rolleyes:

Congratulations :smile:
You will have to talk to your university about it, nobody here can tell you with any certainty.
I have requested a year out and I'm currently on it :smile: If you are either ill/have family problems or have problems with your course say your not understanding it or w.e then you more than likely can (just double check) I was at a prestigious Red Brick blah blah university and I have decided that I won't return and will withdraw, however I applied to unis through ucas again whilst still holding my place at my old uni :smile:
PHONE EMAIL ASK is my advice. Go straight to the student support or your head of subject...
Reply 7
Original post by sophiekatina
I have requested a year out and I'm currently on it :smile: If you are either ill/have family problems or have problems with your course say your not understanding it or w.e then you more than likely can (just double check) I was at a prestigious Red Brick blah blah university and I have decided that I won't return and will withdraw, however I applied to unis through ucas again whilst still holding my place at my old uni :smile:
PHONE EMAIL ASK is my advice. Go straight to the student support or your head of subject...

Thank you!! Maybe theres hope for me yet. Quick question though - did you full pass your first year or did you suddenly drop out mid-first year? I ask because I have an essay due in 10 hours and I've lost all motivation for this subject!! I just need to hold my place for a year, I'm terrified I'll regret it!
Original post by mranon
Thank you!! Maybe theres hope for me yet. Quick question though - did you full pass your first year or did you suddenly drop out mid-first year? I ask because I have an essay due in 10 hours and I've lost all motivation for this subject!! I just need to hold my place for a year, I'm terrified I'll regret it!

I dropped out in the first term, so I suppose you could say I suddenly dropped out. Getting a pass in the first year is useless if you're not going to carry on with the subject.
It was the same for me, and that was my deciding point when I was just doing this essay and I was just like :s-smilie::confused:
Do what I did, stop the course now but keep it open for next years application and if you want apply to other unis and courses do so via ucas (loads of unis accept late applications or through extra) or even ask the uni whether you can take up other courses at the uni! After all you've got nothing to loose as you can always return.
Go to sleep if you can't do your essay, and if you're TRULY serious about leaving but still want to do your essay it wont matter if you have handed it in late, it's better than rushing it in for 12pm tomorrow!

If you have anymore questions just ask! I've been there, done that and come out a better person :biggrin:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by sophiekatina

If you have anymore questions just ask! I've been there, done that and come out a better person :biggrin:

I just figured that if I completed my essays and final few exams it would automatically allow me to re-enter into my second year if they were to grant me a year out is all.. Instead of having to do the whole of first year again?

I'm pretty confident I won't return like yourself once I leave, but I'm trying my best to not make the biggest mistake of my life. I'd hate to leave here only to realize I've no idea what to do in life!

Have you gone on to work and feel happier about things since your departure? Socially my experience here is fantastic, but I'm paying for an English degree that I'm finding both boring and useless.
Original post by mranon
I just figured that if I completed my essays and final few exams it would automatically allow me to re-enter into my second year if they were to grant me a year out is all.. Instead of having to do the whole of first year again?

I'm pretty confident I won't return like yourself once I leave, but I'm trying my best to not make the biggest mistake of my life. I'd hate to leave here only to realize I've no idea what to do in life!

Have you gone on to work and feel happier about things since your departure? Socially my experience here is fantastic, but I'm paying for an English degree that I'm finding both boring and useless.

I am going back to uni don't get me wrong but yeah I am a lot happier :smile: I have just took a year out to work, sort some finances out and hopefully do some background reading before I start fresh at a new uni :smile:

I was studying History at the University of Birmingham. I didn't study history at A-Level so I found the degree impossible, not only that I found it boring and got ill from stressing over it! Have NO idea why I picked to do it, I suppose it was kinda pressure to go to uni, I really didn't want to take a gap year.

And the same with me, socially it was fantastic!! Plus I looooved the Uni and campus - I didn't want to leave because of that but I had to weigh up my options. I was on a course that I hated and I was getting really ill because of it. I am not soley there for the social side and I can always have that social element when I go back to uni (I knew I wanted to go straight back to uni) so I made that really hard decision.

Ah yeah it's only a few weeks/months left :smile: My advise would be whilst you're completing your cwk and exams get in touch with admissions let them know you want a break or you're thinking about it. Also if you hate the course maybe UCAS it up and apply to other places/courses - it's worth doing it so you don't think "sh** I should of applied for something else" you can always turn it down and carry on with your English degree there :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending