Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Some friends of mine who are doing AS French in high school have dropped it because school and the local college have apparently told them that doing the AS early may harm their uni applications. Something about universities want to see what you can achieve in those two years rather than before...

Surely this cannot be true? I have just completed my AS maths before my gcses and got an A; how could this possibly look bad? Surely this is a good achievement?

The French group were all set to do awful though, so they may of been told false information... does anybody know anything on this?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Doubt it's bad.
    You put what year you achieved that qualification anyway, so they'd see that you attained an AS whilst doing GCSE's and give it some credibility.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by placebo24)
    Some friends of mine who are doing AS French in high school have dropped it because school and the local college have apparently told them that doing the AS early may harm their uni applications. Something about universities want to see what you can achieve in those two years rather than before...

Surely this cannot be true? I have just completed my AS maths before my gcses and got an A; how could this possibly look bad? Surely this is a good achievement?

The French group were all set to do awful though, so they may of been told false information... does anybody know anything on this?

Thanks.
    It doesn't make a difference for you, as you can just take AS Maths again during Year 12 and get an A without putting any work in

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thegodofgod)
    It doesn't make a difference for you, as you can just take AS Maths again during Year 12 and get an A without putting any work in
    Planned to do my A2 in year 12. Would this be bad for applications then? :/

ReputationRep:
    I did 2 as's early (one in year 10 & one in year 11)
    I have managed to get uni offers, don't sweat it

ReputationRep:
    Planned to do my A2 in year 12. Would this be bad for applications then? :/
    I know that for Medicine at most universities they ask you to complete the A Level course (AS+A2) within 2 years.

Not too sure about other courses / universities.

Try looking on University websites?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jessicaaax)
    I did 2 as's early (one in year 10 & one in year 11)
    I have managed to get uni offers, don't sweat it
    Fills me with some hope, unless...

(Original post by thegodofgod)
    I know that for Medicine at most universities they ask you to complete the A Level course (AS+A2) within 2 years.

Not too sure about other courses / universities.

Try looking on University websites?
    It's about completing the AS one year. I did mine in a year and a term with only a third of the teaching time of college... don't suppose they'll notice that though, will they?

ReputationRep:
    It's about completing the AS one year. I did mine in a year and a term with only a third of the teaching time of college... don't suppose they'll notice that though, will they?
    They might take notice of when you sat the exam, however.

ReputationRep:

Thanks.
    Are you doing studying a level maths over 2 consecutive years? If so I don't think it would harmful at all. If you are not then I think it will harm you as you can get bit rusty with your maths skills. If you are so worried you have the option of calling the University you want to go to or email them to clarify. Also when you starting doing a normal As year now that you have done maths early you can do further maths if you really love maths you can even do Additional further maths. I think what they mean is that it is true the work load of 3 A levels is more than 2 for example. When you decide to do your As year may do 3 or more other A levels if you are still concerned. This will you prove that you can actually cope with the work load of full time A levels. I genuinely do not think that you can be penalised for doing some As subjects early but I am not qualified to give an answer with out absolute certainty so contact Uni. Don't worry they are going to know who you are.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.