Turn on thread page Beta

The Hijab and Investment Banking? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annoying-Mouse)
    Can I ask you a question? If you're willing to wear a hijab, why don't you wear it fully? That is, why are you wearing only the headscarf? Why not the loose abaya/Jilbaab? Also, what about the modesty requirement e.g. you can't unnecessarily talk to the opposite sex. You can't have physical contact e.g. shaking hands. And both sexes can't look each other in the eye. As well as the no make up/perfume rule. Are you willing to follow those rules as well? If so, your chance in investment banking (front office) is very, very small. If not, why not? Why are you half-heartedly following your religion?
    haha, do you just go round hounding muslims on TSR?

I'm pretty sure i've read somewhere that you are an ex-muslim?

Also, everytime I've read one of your posts you seem to be promoting the strictest interpretations possible. From my limited understanding, I have always thought these things to be open to interpretation in Islam where some Muslims chose to follow a very strict/literal line, where as others chose to follow a more purposive approach.

I'm pretty sure you are not required to cover your face (for women) for instance. It is optional. Only the headscarf and modest dress are necessary. Likewise with the perfume/makeup, modesty is encouraged, no?

I don't disagree with what you are essentially saying though, that if someone opts to wear their full religious dress etc. they have little chance of being accepted into an industry where formalities and strict dress code etc. is of importance.

ReputationRep:
    Why is this even an issue... I'm catholic and if i wanted to get a job in Islamabad or Teheran I wouldn't even think about keeping my cross around my neck... even if it wouldnt be visible during the interview. If i'm the one living in a muslim environment I should have enough respect not to shove my religion down their throats... AND I would expect the same from a muslim in a christian country.

religious clothes, signs etc. big no no... unless you want to be an arrogant douche

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steph90)
    Haha, nah. I just promote the one that has the most evidence. I could've gone a step further and added no mixing with the opposite sex and full veil but I don't feel they're necessary requirements. If a Muslim refutes what i've said, i'll retract it. The no make up/perfume rule is necessary and forms a part of the hijab.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annoying-Mouse)
    Haha, nah. I just promote the one that has the most evidence. I could've gone a step further and added no mixing with the opposite sex and full veil but I don't feel they're necessary requirements. If a Muslim refutes what i've said, i'll retract it. The no make up/perfume rule is necessary and forms a part of the hijab.
    I see. I always thought it was just a case of some people going over the top. Someone once also told me, a lot of it has to do with culture and nothing actually to do with religion. He backed up his point by saying that places like Pakistan, India and parts of Arabia were heavily misogynistic before the introduction of Islam and this merely continued but under the name of Islam. Other parts of the Middle East have always been less strict (Turkey, Syria, Lebannon etc.) and that continued even once the countries were majority Muslim - or so he claimed.

Is this true or false?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steph90)
    I'm pretty sure you are not required to cover your face (for women) for instance. It is optional. Only the headscarf and modest dress are necessary. Likewise with the perfume/makeup, modesty is encouraged, no?

Actually you've just backed up his point; it's all optional. Forsaking some of the options, then acting like the one option you picked is sacrosanct is very silly and also verging on hypocrisy to the outside eye.

Regarding the topic overall, first and foremost they're going to be picking people they can integrate well in a team, over long hours and generally fit in. At some stage there is usually an interview with a manager from the respective department you are applying for, if he doesn't like you (for any reason) then you're screwed.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.