Turn on thread page Beta

There would be MUCH fewer drunken fights if everyone pulled on a night out watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by py0alb)
    That's all speculation. I could use the same argument about coffee being a stimulant and hence you might react differently to something and that reaction might lead to anger and that anger might lead to violence.

All that alcohol does is reduce your inhibitions slightly. So if you are a despicable violent ****, and your inhibitions were barely preventing you from acting like a despicable violent ****, then drinking alcohol may appear to transform you into a despicable violent ****. But it doesn't - you have to be a despicable violent **** in the first place for alcohol to have that effect, and any drug would have the potential to do the same, depending on how exactly the person reacts to it. What alcohol unequivocably doesn't do is transform a normal person into a violent piece of ****.

Coffee doesn't affect your emotions, whereas alcohol does. Have you ever even drunk? My most emotional nights have come as a cause of alcohol, and the only time I've ever thought violently has been on alcohol (doesn't happen often). You're right that it is the violent ********s who start fights, but alcohol gives them that push to do it.

I live not far from Magaluf. Last week two men argued over the cricket, and one of them broke a bottle and stabbed the other to death, in front of his son. The next day the killer couldnt even make a statement because he was so blind drunk. Say what you will but I can't imagine that situation would have occurred if both men were sober.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James4d)
    Coffee doesn't affect your emotions, whereas alcohol does. Have you ever even drunk? My most emotional nights have come as a cause of alcohol, and the only time I've ever thought violently has been on alcohol (doesn't happen often). You're right that it is the violent ********s who start fights, but alcohol gives them that push to do it.

I live not far from Magaluf. Last week two men argued over the cricket, and one of them broke a bottle and stabbed the other to death, in front of his son. The next day the killer couldnt even make a statement because he was so blind drunk. Say what you will but I can't imagine that situation would have occurred if both men were sober.
    Of course coffee can affect your emotions :facepalm2:

I'm quite passionate about cricket. I've argued about it in pubs whilst drunk. How come I didn't stab the guy with a bottle?

Did you even read my last post? All your points I've effectively already refuted.

ReputationRep:
    Of course coffee can affect your emotions :facepalm2:

I'm quite passionate about cricket. I've argued about it in pubs whilst drunk. How come I didn't stab the guy with a bottle?

Did you even read my last post? All your points I've effectively already refuted.

You're not getting my point. its a simple point really.

ALCOHOL = VIOLENCE

Yes I get that not everyone becomes violent after drinking and it is the minority who will allow themselves to become violent as a cause but the fact still remains that it causes violence. I've seen it happen, felt it happen, its a depressant and it can affect peoples behaviour in a very negative way. But I see you're in 'Mr. Controversial' mood.

ReputationRep:
    You're not getting my point. its a simple point really.

ALCOHOL = VIOLENCE

Yes I get that not everyone becomes violent after drinking and it is the minority who will allow themselves to become violent as a cause but the fact still remains that it causes violence. I've seen it happen, felt it happen, its a depressant and it can affect peoples behaviour in a very negative way. But I see you're in 'Mr. Controversial' mood.
    That's just nonsense. Your argument, rather than increasing in sophistication, is simply regressing to pointless babble. Numerous social psychology studies demonstrate clearly that alcohol does not make you violent. Like I say, put people in a nightclub with non alcoholic drinks and see if the problem goes away - it doesn't, clearly demonstrating that alcohol is not the major underlying factor.

Have you never seen one of those many famous studies where the one guy who is drinking a placebo starts to act more and more drunk and beligerant simply because he thinks he's drinking alcohol and therefore that is the behaviour that is expected of him? Go google it, it might open your mind a little to how human behaviour actually works.

ReputationRep:
    flight of the conchords did sing something to this effect

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by DH-Biker)
    I'm sure there's bound to be more guys then girls. So you'd be left with the ugly, drunk losers fighting outside clubs. Which would look like a scene from Walking With Beasts, and therefore the clubs would lose business.
    :rofl:

You have a point though.

ReputationRep:
    That's just nonsense. Your argument, rather than increasing in sophistication, is simply regressing to pointless babble. Numerous social psychology studies demonstrate clearly that alcohol does not make you violent. Like I say, put people in a nightclub with non alcoholic drinks and see if the problem goes away - it doesn't, clearly demonstrating that alcohol is not the major underlying factor.

Have you never seen one of those many famous studies where the one guy who is drinking a placebo starts to act more and more drunk and beligerant simply because he thinks he's drinking alcohol and therefore that is the behaviour that is expected of him? Go google it, it might open your mind a little to how human behaviour actually works.

Yes my argument is a simple. Because theres no two ways about it. The end result is always the same. If alcohol isnt the problem, then the placebo of it is. Alcohol induces violence, and nothing you say will make me think otherwise. I'm basing my opinions on what I see and know.

My other point was people were on other drugs (bar cocaine) violence would be reduced.

Again, my basic point. Alcohol is a factor in causing violence. It impairs your judgement ("yeah, I can take on those three guys, fak it"), affects your emotions (it does, to hell with your tests and theories) and can affect people in a very negative way.

And before your bore me with that same tired old argument: NO IT DOESNT HAVE THE SAME NEGATIVE EFFECT ON EVERY PERSON, I know.

ReputationRep:
    Yes my argument is a simple. Because theres no two ways about it. The end result is always the same. If alcohol isnt the problem, then the placebo of it is. Alcohol induces violence, and nothing you say will make me think otherwise. I'm basing my opinions on what I see and know.

My other point was people were on other drugs (bar cocaine) violence would be reduced.

Again, my basic point. Alcohol is a factor in causing violence. It impairs your judgement ("yeah, I can take on those three guys, fak it"), affects your emotions (it does, to hell with your tests and theories) and can affect people in a very negative way.

And before your bore me with that same tired old argument: NO IT DOESNT HAVE THE SAME NEGATIVE EFFECT ON EVERY PERSON, I know.
    Well said, I hate people who think nothing's valid unless it's been proven by some study somewhere (probably done in a cold, impersonal lab with a biased sample of undergraduate psychology students).

ReputationRep:
    The Bonobos have it right. Instead of fighting they solve disputes by having sex, sharing wives/girlfriends and whatnot. It's true you should make love and not war.

ReputationRep:
    Make Love Not War.

ReputationRep:
    You are so right. It's usually the guys that can't pull that start fights.

ReputationRep:

I'm actually writing my final year essay on alcohol and how it causes us to become drunk. Some studies say there is no link, but other clearly show that alcohol alters serotonin levels leading to aggression. The ones showing aggression are actually more recent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robotwars)
    they both go back home presumably for rappant animalistic sex - arent fighting
    From your posts it seems clear that you are suffering from a lack of any sex mate, nevermind the rampant animalistic stuff of legend.. if you spent half as much time reading/acting upon advice like mine as you do coming on here making comments like these then you wouldn't feel a need to post such comments in the first place (as you'd be getting your oats)

people fighting is can be* a sign of how many people are sexually frustrated after a night out
    Can also merely be a sign of other frustrations/a violent persona/tendancies towards violence when drunk.. :rolleyes:

if everyone were to pull on a night out there would be so much less fighting and drunken crime
    A bit less aye, though the real thugs you see on TV often tend to have some fat **** following them about.. doesn't stop them glassing people

(Original post by georgia(:)
    not everyone goes out in hopes of pulling
    True but an overwhelming proportion of red blooded males do, though they may not talk about/consider it explicitly, sorry luv

ReputationRep:

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1....1330.018/full

ReputationRep:

You're overcomplicating the issue while ignoring the fact that when people are drunk, they fight. The same people when sober, would not fight.

Coincidence? I think not.

You can spout as many psychological studies as you like, this is real life as I've witnessed it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arekkusu)
    Well said, I hate people who think nothing's valid unless it's been proven by some study somewhere (probably done in a cold, impersonal lab with a biased sample of undergraduate psychology students).
    lol. this is the probably the stupidest post I have seen in a long time. To hell with the evidence!

(Original post by moody_bum)
    I'm actually writing my final year essay on alcohol and how it causes us to become drunk. Some studies say there is no link, but other clearly show that alcohol alters serotonin levels leading to aggression. The ones showing aggression are actually more recent.
    More recent doesn't mean more rigorous. It just means there has been less time for someone to refute it. As I'm sure you have discovered, the links between both alcohol and serotonin levels and between serotonin and aggression are entirely tenuous. Your diet affects serotonin levels more than alcohol, so are you claiming that your diet can make you violent? Most countries in the world would laugh at the idea that alcohol can make you violent. It's only in the UK and a handful of other countries where we insist on making these self-fulfilling prophecies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiZZeeKiD)
    You're overcomplicating the issue while ignoring the fact that when people are drunk, they fight. The same people when sober, would not fight.

You can spout as many psychological studies as you like, this is real life as I've witnessed it.
    because they feel they have the right to act like a prat when they drink as that is what they feel is expected. It's these same idiots who go and cheat or grope and blame it on being "drunk" .
    It is true alcohol lowers your inhibitions slightly but it is no excuse for fighting cheating etc. The majority of people can control themselves its only neanderthals who can't.

ReputationRep:
    tl;dr
    No one drinks or goes clubbing or dresses up nicely just to hook up.
    Sometime they just want a good night out with friends.
    Why is it that so many guys fail to see this?

ReputationRep:
    lol. this is the probably the stupidest post I have seen in a long time. To hell with the evidence!

More recent doesn't mean more rigorous. It just means there has been less time for someone to refute it. As I'm sure you have discovered, the links between both alcohol and serotonin levels and between serotonin and aggression are entirely tenuous. Your diet affects serotonin levels more than alcohol, so are you claiming that your diet can make you violent? Most countries in the world would laugh at the idea that alcohol can make you violent. It's only in the UK and a handful of other countries where we insist on making these self-fulfilling prophecies.
    I have discovered nothing which tells me that the levels of serotonin we make when we eat are even equal to those of alcohol consumption. In fact many articles have told me quite the contrary, explaining that the closest serotonin gets to the rate due to alcohol is in very high carb diets.

Most countries of the world do not binge drink at the rate we do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiZZeeKiD)

That's not what the evidence suggests. I suppose the research you have done in reading the Daily Mail means that you know better than the scientists who study this issue in a rigorous manner. Your account of your own experiences are heavily biased and almost certainly inaccurately interpreted.

(Original post by n00)
    link
    Cheers!

Basically the link is to a study that highlighted that a certain extremely small sector of society were predisposed to become violent after drinking alcohol lowered their inhibitions, and it has a virtually negligible effect on the rest of us. This is exactly the phenonenon I was describing above.

There are 10,000 more studies out there that show it in even more concrete detail.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.