Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Do you think the new fee system in 2012 will force some universities to close? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ch0llima)
    I think it's more to do with the fact that spiralling costs will put people off going, and the universities will receive less tuition fee revenue. This, of course, is based on the notion that most people don't know that you don't pay up front.
    Everyone keeps saying this but it's not about that at all. The majority of prospective students know that they will be able to get loans to fund the £9000 fees. What people (or at least the people I've spoken to) object to is the fact that if unis charge £9000, they're going to be in at least £27,000 worth of debt when they've finished uni. I'm lucky because I started this year but I personally think that it's unfair to cripple students with debts like these.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kaykiie)
    But if it was a highly ranked uni that held 1st place it would be an accurate finding :rolleyes:

Actually, the English department here was given a high mark for being very academically rigorous. Just goes to show that universities cannot be judged on their league table positions alone.
    I don't deny that it may punch above it's weight in English, however if it was as good as the top unis it'd be higher ranked. Punching above it's weight and being a very good university are seperate things. Subject rank doesn't take account of uni rank, so while it depends on what methodology you use as to the exact placing of a uni, subject rankings are usually fairly decent meaning that while Chichester punches above it's weight in English, it's still not as high as it's NSS rating would suggest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ajp100688)
    I don't deny that it may punch above it's weight in English, however if it was as good as the top unis it'd be higher ranked. Punching above it's weight and being a very good university are seperate things. Subject rank doesn't take account of uni rank, so while it depends on what methodology you use as to the exact placing of a uni, subject rankings are usually fairly decent meaning that while Chichester punches above it's weight in English, it's still not as high as it's NSS rating would suggest.
    I'm not here to debate the rankings of Chester (it may seem as such :p:), I was just illustrating the point that league tables are not the be all and end all for universities.

For one, there was a group of my friend in college who all went to different universities - Liverpool, Manchester, York, Hull and Aberystwyth (and me, Chester). I'm not disputing these are all good universities, but they seem to complain about their courses a lot more than I do. From this I can only assume that prestige and high positions in league tables do not equate to a satisfying experience.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not here to debate the rankings of Chester (it may seem as such :p:), I was just illustrating the point that league tables are not the be all and end all for universities.

For one, there was a group of my friend in college who all went to different universities - Liverpool, Manchester, York, Hull and Aberystwyth (and me, Chester). I'm not disputing these are all good universities, but they seem to complain about their courses a lot more than I do. From this I can only assume that prestige and high positions in league tables do not equate to a satisfying experience.
    Oh yeah I'd totally agree with that, there's many things that come together to form a good uni experience, not just the academic standard of the university itself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ajp100688)
    Oh yeah I'd totally agree with that, there's many things that come together to form a good uni experience, not just the academic standard of the university itself.
    We're in agreement then (on that topic :p:)

ReputationRep:
    For those of you who believe that some universities may be forced to close, what factors do you think could put a particular institution at risk?

For example,

- A university that ranks below 60 on the league tables
    - A university's status such as wheher it is a red brick, ex-poly or ex-college
    - A University's location

ReputationRep:
    Liverpool, Manchester and Aberwhwtwh are high rank ?

Don't think so.

Manc has been as low as 40, and even newspaper reports have highlighted their students plights.

Liverpool has never been anything.

and the other one Abererwthththrerth, I don't even know where it is never mind pronounce it.

Don't give me this resaerch BS, that only applies to the Phd level unless you think that " an enquiry to the triple stochastic model of unemployment amongst Lanarkshire teens" has any direct relevance to your degree.

I would also add paying 9k pa to sit amongst 168 other students in a MU lecture with 23 per tute, is to me F'g BS.

might as well do OU.

Though not all MU courses are shiet but most are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by colin4president)
    sorry, i go to a real uni, thus have reading to do, must dash
    You should have your "real uni" teach you some grammar while you're there, it pays to be pedantic when you're being a condescending douche otherwise you'll just look like an idiot.

ReputationRep:
    That's what makes prestige and rankings not even worth talking about, if a supposedly "bad" university gets a low score in student satisfaction it cements the view that it's a bad university but if it scores highly it's because the students are too stupid to know they're being ripped off.

People will only ever see what they want to, any table or ranking system which doesn't align with peoples own preconceptions and personal prejudice will be dismissed.

I'm at a loss to understand why people think this fee increase will be a bad thing for ex-polys, some which are in a bad financial situation right now may not get over the initial hump and will most probably start merging but in the long run ex-polys are in a far better position to thrive than the traditional academic universities.

They'll be much cheaper, they'll have a greater scope of subjects and they'll be more focused toward employment.

I'd be more worried about the standards of your traditional university, polytechnics were always far superior to universities in vocational subjects and now they've got a greater incentive to regain that focus rather than compete for legitimacy as an academic institution to sate people who will never accept it as such.

If you're thinking this is going to tip the scales back to the days where even setting foot in a university gave you some kind of elite status in the workforce you're going to be disappointed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wozzie)
    That's what makes prestige and rankings not even worth talking about, if a supposedly "bad" university gets a low score in student satisfaction it cements the view that it's a bad university but if it scores highly it's because the students are too stupid to know they're being ripped off.

People will only ever see what they want to, any table or ranking system which doesn't align with peoples own preconceptions and personal prejudice will be dismissed.

I'm at a loss to understand why people think this fee increase will be a bad thing for ex-polys, some which are in a bad financial situation right now may not get over the initial hump and will most probably start merging but in the long run ex-polys are in a far better position to thrive than the traditional academic universities.

They'll be much cheaper, they'll have a greater scope of subjects and they'll be more focused toward employment.

I'd be more worried about the standards of your traditional university, polytechnics were always far superior to universities in vocational subjects and now they've got a greater incentive to regain that focus rather than compete for legitimacy as an academic institution to sate people who will never accept it as such.

If you're thinking this is going to tip the scales back to the days where even setting foot in a university gave you some kind of elite status in the workforce you're going to be disappointed.
    Very well said

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wozzie)
    You should have your "real uni" teach you some grammar while you're there, it pays to be pedantic when you're being a condescending douche otherwise you'll just look like an idiot.
    no time for gramer, or spellin, worthwile degree to attain, c ya

ReputationRep:
    sorry, i go to a real uni, thus have reading to do, must dash
    I didn't realise Birkdale school was a university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CourtJester)
    I didn't realise Birkdale school was a university.
    no ****. not updated in 3 years, busy see, buuks and mafs and things, whoopsies.

ReputationRep:
    no ****. not updated in 3 years, busy see, buuks and mafs and things, whoopsies.
    For someone so busy, you do spend a lot of time making nonsensical replies.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.