Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The most hated family in the US and the cartoons... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    We all know about the most hated family in the USA. They go to soldiers' funerals and hold signs saying thank god for dead soldiers...etc They hold other signs thanking god for various calamities around the globe and disasters. They have caused much distraught and anger across the US and they even had to go to the suprem-court. Some officials have asked for their ban because freedom of speech with intent of causing emotional distraught should not be allowed.

(this is all in Louis Theroux's latest documentary available at: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...ily_in_Crisis/)

This is of course all well and good. But does this not ALL apply to the cartoonist who drew the Islamic prophet? Just want TSR's view

I mean burning the quran just to cause distress amongst the Muslim population and to test their limits... seems quite childish and unnecessary. Like the official said... this is causing emotional distress for NO REASON whatsoever... I can't think of why we would piss the Muslims off, just as how no one wants that families holding such signs and drawing cartoons mocking dead soldiers...etc (see the documentary for more details about them...)

ReputationRep:
    It's their religion and people should respect that. You shouldn't be able to ban a religion, and you shouldn't be able to ban free speech, even if it causes emotional distress.

ReputationRep:
    So whatever you wish that men would do to you, do so to them...
    (Matthew 7:12)

Shame Pastor Jones and Co skipped it while reading their copies of bible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stefan1991)
    It's their religion and people should respect that. You shouldn't be able to ban a religion, and you shouldn't be able to ban free speech, even if it causes emotional distress.
    So that family should be allowed to do what they're doing? despite the utter stupidity of their sign holding...etc?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by topdrog)
    So whatever you wish that men would do to you, do so to them...
    (Matthew 7:12)

Shame Pastor Jones and Co skipped it while reading their copies of bible.
    When an interviewer asked Pastor Terry Jones "Is this what Jesus would do [reffering to burning the Q'uran]." Pastor Jones replied with "Yes, he would."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stefan1991)
    That last part I agree with if it's an opinion or expression that happens to offend someone else, but if it's an opinion being directed at someone to cause offense or to provoke that should not be allowed.

Also, why should people respect a religion? Would you say the same about a cult or the KKK or the EDL? Because they are all essentially the same; a group of people who share similar views.

ReputationRep:
    It is all about whether you have malicious intent: The Westboro Baptist Church actively wish harm and distress on others. The Danish Cartoonist obviously didn't. The Qu'ran burning pastor probably didn't, but was grossly insensitive and wrong for doing what he did.

There needs to be a sense of decorum, you can have freedom of speech, but have some damn respect at the same time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schleigg)
    It is all about whether you have malicious intent: The Westboro Baptist Church actively wish harm and distress on others. The Danish Cartoonist obviously didn't. The Qu'ran burning pastor probably didn't, but was grossly insensitive and wrong for doing what he did.

There needs to be a sense of decorum, you can have freedom of speech, but have some damn respect at the same time.
    The pastor was told he is putting American lives at risk... and he still insisted on burning the Quran.

ReputationRep:
    Hated is a powerful word. I'd say that ridiculed might be more accurate; they're wackos who get made fun of on national television (Jon Stewart, etc.) on a regular basis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4TSR)
    The pastor was told he is putting American lives at risk... and he still insisted on burning the Quran.
    But he didn't want to kill American people directly. The fallout from burning the Qu'ran is a result of his stupidity rather than his intent.

ReputationRep:
    It makes me so sad. They rejoice the death of people and the loss of their children, they ruin funerals and use 'i didn't do it, God did it' as an excuse. They rejoice natural disasters and all those who died and dont care if its offensive.

It's just so sad.

ReputationRep:
    Thank god it's only a minority.

ReputationRep:
    Freedom of speech is absolute,there is yin in yang and yang in yin.

Either accept it fully or discard it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4TSR)
    So that family should be allowed to do what they're doing? despite the utter stupidity of their sign holding...etc?
    Of course? It's their human right. It's called free speech.

(Original post by Broderss)
    That last part I agree with if it's an opinion or expression that happens to offend someone else, but if it's an opinion being directed at someone to cause offense or to provoke that should not be allowed.

Also, why should people respect a religion? Would you say the same about a cult or the KKK or the EDL? Because they are all essentially the same; a group of people who share similar views.
    Of course, all political views and political groups should be treated as equal and protected under the law and democratic system. Of course all religions should be respected, I didn't think that was even up for discussion...

ReputationRep:
    I watched it last night.
    They are brainwashed idiots who take the bible and their religion (and indeed their interpretations) hugely out of context, and arguing with them or debating with them is futile, however the freedom of speech is important.
    As long as they stay a minority, that's what matters.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thunder_chunky)
    I watched it last night.
    They are brainwashed idiots who take the bible and their religion (and indeed their interpretations) hugely out of context, and arguing with them or debating with them is futile, however the freedom of speech is important.
    As long as they stay a minority, that's what matters.
    I'm not sure how you think they are taking it out of context? If anything they are just interpreting as literally as possible.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.