Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've made Plymouth my firm to study Geology w/ Ocean Science, does anyone have any advice on which halls of residence/cluster flats are the best to go for when applying for accommodation?

ReputationRep:
    I've got a Studio Flat at Central Point, looks good to me =] I booked through Unite. It all depends on what your looking for really I guess

ReputationRep:
    You dont get to pick anyway, unless you go straight through the unite website.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah thats what I did, I booked directly through Unite

ReputationRep:
    You can't choose a specific hall, though through Unite you can. Be aware this is a private company, however. For the university managed accommodation, you pick a budget and option between en-suite and shared bathroom.

ReputationRep:
    I guess I just want full university experience, close to other students, lots of parties and not a mission away from where I'll be studying... I'm looking between Francis Drake & St.Thomas..

ReputationRep:
    They're all going to have lots of parties and be relatively close to campus, unless you want to go through Unite there's not a lot of point getting your hopes up about specific halls

ReputationRep:
    Yeah where im staying is about 10 minutes away from the main campus which is nothing =] easy to get to the SU and its in the Center so next to all the bars and clubs =] you wont get put further than 10 minutes away (ive done my research) cuz i wanted somewhere close to all the action too

ReputationRep:
    I'm going for halls - Pilgrim or Radnor preferred. It may be WAYYYY overpriced but it's the fact that everyone there is going to be first years, and I'm hoping to find some people to share a house with in the future.
    My friends at Uni say that Halls are good for meeting people and you can only go there for the first year, so for the full university experience I'm going to pay the extra money.

ReputationRep:
    dont go halls, go in a house share with all first years is possible, its cheaper and nicer and just as social, dont care what anyone says i got bored of halls after a month, we had rats was nasty!

ReputationRep:
    I lived in Discovery heights (Unite) for two years, they are OK not sure what the prices are doing now, but they were nicer than the halls at the time (2007, 2008), not sure about central point but in disco heights we had a pretty big common room with a pool table sky tv and the rooms where slightly bigger and all ensuite (flats being between 4 -8 people unless you fork out a LOT for a studio flat). They were quite slow to get things fixed and would try to get money from you anyway they could (top up fee to get the internet to a standard that will just about work £20 per person if they felt the need to clean the oven when everyone moved out), I didn't think tons of them as landlords, ok for first year but i wish I hadn't stayed for the second (although there was a discount for staying). Also last I knew Discovery heights is the only unite property with a night manager all night every night (unreliable but there) although they will do call outs to the other buildings if needed for an emergency.

I didn't live in halls at all, but lets just say Gilwell is nicknamed ghetto for a reason although it is the cheapest! the rest were much of a much ness from what I saw (aka very rarely sober, but they all look pretty much like the show flat in Mary Newman as does discovery heights for that matter) although If i recall Radnor was the place to be. although new halls have opened since then,

Share houses are by far the best option in Plymouth although the majority of the really good deals go as soon as lists come out in January/February but you can still usually find some pretty nice places at this time of year and if you want the feeling of more like halls there are a few 12+ houses out there I even knew someone in a 25 person share house!

ReputationRep:
    Wow is halls really that bad? Tbh though I've heard both good and bad things.

The only good thing I can see with sharing a house at the moment is price because the accommodation does seem to be a bit over priced compared to many other Unis (some in more expensive areas).

I think I'd like to get into halls just because it would be easier since it will be my first year and I will be really far from home. I'm not sure how sharing a house actually works but I don't want things to get messy or isolated if you know what I mean.

How does sharing a house actually work?

ReputationRep:
    No halls aren't that bad, in fact if you are in the main set of halls (Radnor, Robbins, pilgrim ect) there is a pretty good sort of community with interaction between flats, which is good if your nervous about meeting new people. I found there wasn't any of that interaction between flats, floors or blocks and there aren't as many first years in the main unite blocks.
    I have no idea how that applies to the unite buildings that are let via the uni (St Teresa, St Thomas).

The thing that makes or breaks if a place is good or not really is the people you live with, which as you will be living with random people first year no matter what makes no matter between a house or halls. another reason to go to halls first id you can see what areas you would like to live in or avoid.

I'm not sure what exactly you mean by how does sharing a house work?
    It is easier to find a house for second year I find because you have assess to lists via the university portal which show you the grade of a house and most other info you will want to know like the size and what bills are included.
    To rent first year there are some student letting agents listed on the university's main website. You can find a house you like the look of or quite a few if you speak to them will put you with similar aged students.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Plymouth University resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.