Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by This Honest)
    Hi, could you tell me how they rank academics?
    Sorry, not quite sure how they rank but I know I got 15/15. Try email them and ask them to score your academics

ReputationRep:
    I didnt know that you could phone up to ask half your score already :O i'm from scotland and english grades sound so much more impressive, need to get myslef on the phone then ... I've already been told not to bother applying to most of the med schools up here but BSMS have been so postive about my academics so far, just have to wait and see what admissions says tomorrow

ReputationRep:
    This is a detailed email I received today from admissions regarding their selection criteria.

'When assessing applications our admissions assessors will score academic qualifications out of 15 points and the other aspects of an application, including your relevant experience and non-academic activities, out of a further 15 points (with this A level profile you would get 15/15). There is no minimum score for GCSEs during assessment. In fact as long as there is evidence of strong year 12 grades within the application this will supersede GCSE support (obviously the minimum requirement of grade B for both English and Maths is still required) if we deem it academically stronger than the GCSEs on show. We do not prescribe any subjects students should take as the 'third' A level, with only General Studies and Critical Thinking normally being excluded from conditional offers.

You will also need to sit the UKCAT the summer prior to applying via UCAS (www.ukcat.ac.uk). At present we consider UKCAT scores as just part of the overall picture. We do not operate a cut-off system. However we do not use the UKCAT score to prioritise candidates for interview and we do not reveal the score to interviewers, we nevertheless observed with hindsight that the candidates prioritised for interview had (on average) UKCAT scores well above average, and that those with UKCAT scores in the higher range were also much more likely to be recommended by interviewers. However there were individual candidates with low UKCAT scores who had otherwise excellent academic grades and top interview ratings, and who we are happy to have joining us. We shall of course be monitoring the outcome, and there may be changes in the way we use this information in the future.

With reference to the non-academic criteria required, this will mainly come from your personal statement. All forms of extracurricular activities can appeal to assessors once the non-academic aspects of your application come to be considered - from a noted talent or commitment in music, sport, the arts. All these areas could help strengthen your application. Voluntary/work experience will also be assessed and, if in evidence in the application, awarded. '

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kim93)
    8A*, 3A GCSEs and achieved A*AAa. But the 16:1 applicants/offer ratio scares the hell of me. Applied last year, got 23.5/30 (I think) and 25 or 25.5 was needed for interview. My PS is much better this year but with so few places (144) ...
    dang it. So I suppose 15 points = AAAa?

ReputationRep:
    That's the email they sent me

ReputationRep:
    GCSE: 3A* 6A's 1B
    AS level: A(BIO) A(MATHS) VERY HIGH B(CHEM) B(R.E)
    A2 PREDICTIONS: A*AA
    UKCAT: 603

any chance applying to bsms?

ReputationRep:
    Username: vfest
    Course: Medicine(A100)
    GCSE (or equivalent): A*A*A*A*A*AAAAA(a in an IT shortcourse as well)
    AS Levels: Biology A, Chemistry B(10UMS off an A), Maths A, Psychology A
    A2 Levels predictions: Biology A, Chemistry A, Maths A, Psychology A*
    International Student?: No
    Reapplicant/Transfer Applicant/First Time Applicant?: First Time Applicant
    UKCAT: 650 :/

I really want to apply here, but what chance do you think i have?

ReputationRep:
    I'm just going to join the trend

Username:
    Seb/limesasquatch
    Course:
    Medicine(A100)
    GCSE:
    5A*; 4A; 5B
    AS Levels:
    Chemistry, Maths, Biology and ICT (predicted: A*A*AB)
    A2 Levels:
    A*A*A*C
    International Student?
    I shouldn't be
    Reapplicant/First Time Applicant?
    Reapper

Appazza (apparently) I should get 13.5/15 for le academiques.

^ I sort of ****ed the whole thing up didn't I?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vfest)
    Username: vfest
    Course: Medicine(A100)
    GCSE (or equivalent): A*A*A*A*A*AAAAA(a in an IT shortcourse as well)
    AS Levels: Biology A, Chemistry B(10UMS off an A), Maths A, Psychology A
    A2 Levels predictions: Biology A, Chemistry A, Maths A, Psychology A*
    International Student?: No
    Reapplicant/Transfer Applicant/First Time Applicant?: First Time Applicant
    UKCAT: 650 :/

I really want to apply here, but what chance do you think i have?
    You have a great chance, they use UKCAT as a tie-breaker after interviews between two similar candidates! Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manderson)
    You have a great chance, they use UKCAT as a tie-breaker after interviews between two similar candidates! Good luck
    thank you! i am literally soo scared about even applying for medicine anywhere atm! :/

ReputationRep:
    Just got an e-mail back from them. Is a score of 13.5 good?

ReputationRep:
    BSMS is my only hope of doing medicine!! ahh i really want to get in, good luck everyone :crossedf:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fudgebucket)
    Yep. Make sure your PS is really good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wannabeDr)
    BSMS is my only hope of doing medicine!! ahh i really want to get in, good luck everyone :crossedf:
    How come? your other choices?

ReputationRep:
    What if you apply with achieved A levels?

ReputationRep:
    I got AAAC at A level.
    AAAABBBB at GCSE.
    Am I likely to get a very low academic score?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kim93)
    How come? your other choices?
    I did a premed course and BSMS is one of the v.few med schools that accept it. I'm taking my ukcat test tomorrow so not 100% sure on my choices yet but I'm thinking glassgow, liverpool and either newcastle, uea or keele.

ReputationRep:
    I got a response. They said I would score 13.5 for academics.
    Is that good? Does anyone know what they usually want for interview?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fudgebucket)
    I hope it is! I got the same score.
    I'm excited about applying but nervous at the same time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kim93)
    Sorry, not quite sure how they rank but I know I got 15/15. Try email them and ask them to score your academics
    Did you just randomly email them before applying and request this info? Or had you already applied?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.