Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    ok i went to british council just now in a futile attempt to get more information about edexcel's A level syllabus. The person who i consulted answered "i'm not sure about this" to more than 1/2 of the questions i asked and so i thought i might just as well post my questions here since users on TSR can definitely provide much more satisfying answers than the ones i received just now!!!

Do refer to my application form (I believe it might look different from the UK one)
    Edexcel Appl Form

here it goes...

1) If I'm not wrong, all the units listed under each specific subject has to be taken in order to attain the A Level qualification right? (e.g. To get an A level biology cert i have to take 6BI01-6BI08)

2) Do students in the UK take all the units in a particular subject all at once or do they take maybe 3 units during their AS levels and the remaining ones during their A2 levels?

3) There are no practical exams offered over here and i have to take the "written alternative paper" for chemistry and biology. Will universities reject me just because i did not take the "official" practical paper but the substitution paper (my practical skills will NOT be tested at all)?

4) What are "Cash-in Codes"?

5) How are your results presented on your A level cert? Overall grade of each subject or a breakdown of grade of each unit of that subject OR 1 certificate with grades of all your subjects??

6) Does taking only A Level Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics and AS Level Physics make me academically competitive as a Med school applicant? Or do I have to take up more subjects to show my diversity?

More Info:

I'll be turning 21 this July (23 if i can even get into med school) and I'm worried that this will affect my chances of getting into med school since i'm older than the others and I'm an international student. During my younger days, i kind of screwed my life upside down but now I'm finally awakened and i'm so determined to unleash all my potential and be the best i can but I'm afraid that it's all too late

Thanks for reading my post and i would greatly appreciate any advices!

Cheers!

ReputationRep:
    no one wants to help me?

ReputationRep:
    uppppp

ReputationRep:
    Universities will not reject you as the written alternative papers for practical are equivalent to unit 3. The only difference are the codes. International students (NOT in UK) sits for BI07 ( Unit 3 ) instead of BI03.

ReputationRep:
    Modules taken per semester varies among universities and college. If your first semester is short, you will most probably be taking only Unit 1. It all depends on your intake and university.

International centres for Edexcel usually do not offer cash-in. If you are not happy with your exam results, you can pay extra for retaking the specific units.

Taking extra subjects doesn't make a difference. It all depends on your exam grades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wizard.jackwest)
    Modules taken per semester varies among universities and college. If your first semester is short, you will most probably be taking only Unit 1. It all depends on your intake and university.

International centres for Edexcel usually do not offer cash-in. If you are not happy with your exam results, you can pay extra for retaking the specific units.

Taking extra subjects doesn't make a difference. It all depends on your exam grades.

Universities will not reject you as the written alternative papers for practical are equivalent to unit 3. The only difference are the codes. International students (NOT in UK) sits for BI07 ( Unit 3 ) instead of BI03.
    thank you so much wizard.jackwest!!! you're the only one who responded!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blinkofaneye)
    ok i went to british council just now in a futile attempt to get more information about edexcel's A level syllabus. The person who i consulted answered "i'm not sure about this" to more than 1/2 of the questions i asked and so i thought i might just as well post my questions here since users on TSR can definitely provide much more satisfying answers than the ones i received just now!!!

Do refer to my application form (I believe it might look different from the UK one)
    Edexcel Appl Form

here it goes...

1) If I'm not wrong, all the units listed under each specific subject has to be taken in order to attain the A Level qualification right? (e.g. To get an A level biology cert i have to take 6BI01-6BI08)

2) Do students in the UK take all the units in a particular subject all at once or do they take maybe 3 units during their AS levels and the remaining ones during their A2 levels?

3) There are no practical exams offered over here and i have to take the "written alternative paper" for chemistry and biology. Will universities reject me just because i did not take the "official" practical paper but the substitution paper (my practical skills will NOT be tested at all)?

5) How are your results presented on your A level cert? Overall grade of each subject or a breakdown of grade of each unit of that subject OR 1 certificate with grades of all your subjects??

6) Does taking only A Level Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics and AS Level Physics make me academically competitive as a Med school applicant? Or do I have to take up more subjects to show my diversity?

More Info:

I'll be turning 21 this July (23 if i can even get into med school) and I'm worried that this will affect my chances of getting into med school since i'm older than the others and I'm an international student. During my younger days, i kind of screwed my life upside down but now I'm finally awakened and i'm so determined to unleash all my potential and be the best i can but I'm afraid that it's all too late

Thanks for reading my post and i would greatly appreciate any advices!

Cheers!
    I am a private student and I am from Asia, i hope I will be able to help you...

to qualify for the full A-level biology qualification you have to sit for all the 6 units. You can do AS (3 AS units) in one session and then A2 (the remaining 3 units) in the next session and get the full A-level qualification.

Most do AS then A2, because in UK you have to give AS if you don't want to go into a gap year before university.

No universities won't reject you, the alternative papers are approved by QCA (the organization that certifies quality of examining boards) so both the preactical paper and the alternative paper have equal stature...
    A friend of mine who gave CIE a-levels and had to sit for the practical exams got accepted into Oxford, and another friend who gave Edexcel and sat for the written - alternative paper also got accepted in Oxford... so no problems there....

You can choose whether to get certificate for AS and or A2 after your results come out. If you don't cash-in the the results, you can resit any unit you got unexpected results in, and the board will use your previous exam score and the new score to give you the best final results... Otherwise, if you cash-in for AS, and if you get a passing grade, Edexcel will givee you a certificate, if you cash-in you can still resit the units but the board will not use your previous scores for comparing your improvement...

In the Certificate its just the overall grade but you get an satement of result, where the UMS achieved in each unit is printed.

I think it is better not to take more subjects but rather use the time to get high marks in all units you are taking... Your Personal Statement should be well structured and excellent, start making notes about your life and things that motivate you, inspiration for becoming a med, and read out of A-level syllabus, read about medical discoveries, read about Nobel laureates in medicine and find your favorite discovery, etc..

Your age doesn't matter, your grades and most importantly your Personal statement matters in university application... Make the best Personal Statement, and start preparing it now... Medicine is the most competitive subject on Earth, your application should stand out.... Utilize your previous life problems and why you returned to education as a good paragraph in your statement.....

Good luck

P.S: Feel free to PM me anytime if you have confusion regarding Exams, or need help with PS....
    I can't attend a good university (for financial reasons), atleast I can help others to achieve their dreams...

ReputationRep:

We do have to cash-in, Edexcel changed the rules this year. Previously we could choose to cash-in after the results came out, but from this year on, we have to decide whether to cash-in or not in the exam registration form.... We can still take resits after cashing-in but, the previous result will not be used for evaluating improvement...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DopplerEffect)
    We do have to cash-in, Edexcel changed the rules this year. Previously we could choose to cash-in after the results came out, but from this year on, we have to decide whether to cash-in or not in the exam registration form.... We can still take resits after cashing-in but, the previous result will not be used for evaluating improvement...

(Original post by DopplerEffect)
    I am a private student and I am from Asia, i hope I will be able to help you...

to qualify for the full A-level biology qualification you have to sit for all the 6 units. You can do AS (3 AS units) in one session and then A2 (the remaining 3 units) in the next session and get the full A-level qualification.

Most do AS then A2, because in UK you have to give AS if you don't want to go into a gap year before university.

No universities won't reject you, the alternative papers are approved by QCA (the organization that certifies quality of examining boards) so both the preactical paper and the alternative paper have equal stature...
    A friend of mine who gave CIE a-levels and had to sit for the practical exams got accepted into Oxford, and another friend who gave Edexcel and sat for the written - alternative paper also got accepted in Oxford... so no problems there....

You can choose whether to get certificate for AS and or A2 after your results come out. If you don't cash-in the the results, you can resit any unit you got unexpected results in, and the board will use your previous exam score and the new score to give you the best final results... Otherwise, if you cash-in for AS, and if you get a passing grade, Edexcel will givee you a certificate, if you cash-in you can still resit the units but the board will not use your previous scores for comparing your improvement...

In the Certificate its just the overall grade but you get an satement of result, where the UMS achieved in each unit is printed.

I think it is better not to take more subjects but rather use the time to get high marks in all units you are taking... Your Personal Statement should be well structured and excellent, start making notes about your life and things that motivate you, inspiration for becoming a med, and read out of A-level syllabus, read about medical discoveries, read about Nobel laureates in medicine and find your favorite discovery, etc..

Your age doesn't matter, your grades and most importantly your Personal statement matters in university application... Make the best Personal Statement, and start preparing it now... Medicine is the most competitive subject on Earth, your application should stand out.... Utilize your previous life problems and why you returned to education as a good paragraph in your statement.....

Good luck

P.S: Feel free to PM me anytime if you have confusion regarding Exams, or need help with PS....
    I can't attend a good university (for financial reasons), atleast I can help others to achieve their dreams...
    Hi Dopplereffect! your answers were really detailed and finally my doubts are clarified!! i'll send u a pm soon and i hope to chat with you on msn! we're actually more alike than you know!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blinkofaneye)
    Hi Dopplereffect! your answers were really detailed and finally my doubts are clarified!! i'll send u a pm soon and i hope to chat with you on msn! we're actually more alike than you know!!!
    I am glad to be of help...
    I got your message, I will, contact you soon...

Cheers..

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.