Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Literature Student (Hence huge spaces of time just spent reading)

9am - Get up, shower, get ready etc
    10am - Sort out books, print off necessary things for lecture
    11am/12pm/1pm - Lecture or Seminar ((1-2 hours), different start times different days, sometimes start at 10, have straight through to 3, but normally just until 1-2pm so I'll use that as my example))
    2pm - Lunch, watch an episode of a show online
    3pm - Read :| (Fall asleep, face down on a book, in full view of my ground floor window, due to the rookie mistake of deciding reading on my bed is a better option than at my desk)
    7pm - Dinner
    8pm - Read :|
    10.30pm - Flatmate comes for a chat, go to the kitchen for a snack, waste time on Facebook
    12am - Watch an episode or four of something and then sleep when tired

If going out, eat dinner around 6, get ready 7.30, meet in the kitchen for predrinks around 8.30, go out just before 10 (works out cheaper and our clubs shut at 2, so it's always rammed by 10.30/11), come home, eat and chat drunkenly with the flatmates and then fall asleep for fantastic drunken dreams (:

ReputationRep:
    im a geogrphy student with only 6 hours of contact time over only two days but im doing a school placement as part of one of my module on a tuesday.
    7.00 get up, breakfast, shower, get ready
    8.00-11 reading for modules
    11-12 lecture
    12-1 lunch
    1-3 lecture/seminar
    3-5 reading/essay writing/sorting out lesson plans for my teaching module
    5-6 diner
    6+ generally m time with the partner although sometimes more work.

days when i dont have anything i basical do a big of reading essay work etc

ReputationRep:
    3rd year Law. Something fairly average would probably be:

9am - 10am: Get up, get ready, wander to uni.
    10am - 12pm: Lectures/Seminars.
    12pm - 3pm: Read
    3pm - 4pm: Meeting with supervisor
    4pm - 7pm: Dinner, chatting to housemates, generally wasting time
    7pm - 9pm: Read
    9pm onwards: Pub or more reading or sleeping or anything I want.

ReputationRep:
    2nd Year:

Wake up late: 11/12pm (having possibly missed 10 o clock lecture)
    Wander to uni: 12-1
    Meet friends for a coffee: 1-2.30
    Go to lecture/seminars: 2-4
    More chilling/coffee:4-5
    Wander home: 5-6
    6+ me time (occasionally seminar work)

Since exams are coming up and I have coursework I do more work/library time. But usually its relaxed!
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    Fresher English Language, English Literature and Sociology

This is what my day is supposed to be like:
    09:00 Alarm goes off
    09:30 Get out of bed
    10:25 Leave house having showered, eaten breakfast, made packed lunch
    10:55 Arrive at uni
    11:00 Lectures
    13:00 Tutorial
    14:00 Lunch
    15:00 Lecture
    16:00 Head home
    16:30 Do some work
    18:00 Start cooking dinner
    18:30 Have dinner
    19:00 Wash up
    19:15 Watch some TV
    20:30 Get ready for night out
    21:00 Leave for pre-drinks
    23:00 Head to clubs in time for free entry
    03:00 Get cheesy chips
    03:30 Get back to flat
    03:45 Go to sleep

This is how my day actually goes
    09:00 Alarm goes off
    09:01 Decide can't be bothered to go to lecture
    11:30 Second alarm goes off
    12:25 Leave for uni after showering and checking emails, TSR etc rather than eating
    13:00 Tutorial
    14:00 Eat
    15:00 Lecture
    16:00 Leave uni
    16:30 Go shopping
    17:30 Go for coffee with friends
    18:30 Get home
    18:31 Procrastinate on internet
    20:00 Make quick dinner
    20:15 Eat dinner
    20:30 Get ready to go out
    21:00 Leave for pre-drinks
    23:00 Head to clubs in time for free entry
    03:00 Get cheesy chips
    03:30 Get back to flat
    03:31 Dissect night out with flatmates
    05:00 Go to sleep

ReputationRep:
    days normally a mix of a couple hours lectures, couples hours in labs working then cod or tv for the rest of the day (maybe work instead towards the end of term).

In the evening either tv or going out, most of the time going out.....

ReputationRep:
    Depends what kind of course you are on really.

I do Psychology and I'm in 3-4 days a week - it's either 2 half days and an hour on one day or like 2 hours on each day over 4 days.

My friend does Pharmacy and I think she is in everyday with one half day! She might have a lecture at 9-11, then another 12-3. And then have to spend loads of time in the library on top of that.

On a typical day say Thursday I would be up at 8, go to my 'Research Methods' workshop from 9-11, then straight to Social Psychology lecture from 11-1. Then go back to halls for some dinner and either go to the library or meet up with a mate, have tea and then usually go out on a Thursday night.

On Friday I had a lecture from 11-1, and then 1.30-3.30 so I'd have to have a really quick lunch in between them usually a sandwich whilst stood outside the uni. And because I went home most weekends I'd usually get the train home at around 5.

On Monday I only had an hours lecture at 12-1 so usually slept till about half 10 then got up, had breakfast, went to the lecture, came back to halls, have dinner, start coursework.

Tuesday and Wednesday were my days off in Semester One so this usually involved a long lie-in, followed by the gym and in late October/November it was usually coursework and library for the rest of the day.

It sounds a bit boring but I didn't join many societies so if I had my time would have been more full. Also involved a lot of shopping and eating out which costs so much but its fun

ReputationRep:
    14:00 - Wake up
    14:01 - Realise you missed all your lectures for the day
    16:00 - Get out of bed

Well you get my point

ReputationRep:
    Well my first year consisted of a lecture every day from 9am to 10.30am- and then that was it for the whole day. So, basically, I had every day off- as if I DID have the day off there would have been no way I would have been awake before 10.30am, so effectively my first year was just amazing :]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alongbella)
    Please could someone give me an idea of what a typical student day of classes is like. What time does the day start? When does it end? Is it a solid day of lecture or are there breaks? Thanks so much!
    4AM: Crawl into bed head spinning.

9AM: Look at phone, too early, girl/guy leaving your place for work/morning lecture optional. Laugh to yourself that they have to get up so early.

10AM: Look at phone again...realise you had a morning lecture, curse to yourself then shrug it off.

11.45AM: Realise you have a 12noon tutorial and get up. Throw whatever is handy on after basic hygiene maintenance and leave.

12noon: Sit through the tutorial and pretend to care about this week's subject matter.

1.15PM: Meet up with a mate and get some lunch with your increasingly tighter budget.

2.10PM: Head towards the nearest pub with said friend after deciding your 2PM lecture isn't important.

2.15PM: Arrive at said pub and start drinking. Discuss such important topics as to why the local polytechnic-turned-uni is fail. Then change your mind and decide actually it is probably better than yours. Fret not, you'll change your mind on this issue countless times.

3PM: Head up to a friends flat and hang out there for a few hours, doing not much of anything.

5-6PM: Head down to meet up with a group of mates and partake of some social activity of vague variety.

8PM: social activity of some vague variety becomes social activity of alcohol fuelled variety.

12PM: Decide to start studying...the particulars of a guy/girl in the group you've had your eye on.

3AM: Stumble out of the taxi and to your place, up to your bed.

9AM: Look at phone, too early, girl/guy leaving your place for work/morning lecture optional. Laugh to yourself that they have to get up so early.

Etc, etc...

Protip: It depends on your year of study and the degree course being studied. First year tends to be a bit of a piss-take.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Studentus-anonymous)
    4AM: Crawl into bed head spinning.

10AM: Look at phone again...realise you had a morning lecture, curse to yourself then shrug it off.

11.45AM: Realise you have a 12noon tutorial and get up. Throw whatever is handy on after basic hygiene maintenance and leave.

12noon: Sit through the tutorial and pretend to care about this week's subject matter.

1.15PM: Meet up with a mate and get some lunch with your increasingly tighter budget.

2.10PM: Head towards the nearest pub with said friend after deciding your 2PM lecture isn't important.

2.15PM: Arrive at said pub and start drinking. Discuss such important topics as to why the local polytechnic-turned-uni is fail. Then change your mind and decide actually it is probably better than yours. Fret not, you'll change your mind on this issue countless times.

3PM: Head up to a friends flat and hang out there for a few hours, doing not much of anything.

5-6PM: Head down to meet up with a group of mates and partake of some social activity of vague variety.

8PM: social activity of some vague variety becomes social activity of alcohol fuelled variety.

12PM: Decide to start studying...the particulars of a guy/girl in the group you've had your eye on.

3AM: Stumble out of the taxi and to your place, up to your bed.

Etc, etc...

Protip: It depends on your year of study and the degree course being studied. First year tends to be a bit of a piss-take.
    Or rather a piss up!

ReputationRep:
    11am; wake up, hungover, late for lecture.
    12pm; wake up again after "snoozing"... Still late for lecture
    1pm; wake up, get up finally, get some OJ to cure hangover.
    1;05pm; consider heading in for lectures.
    1;06pm; realize notes can be downloaded online... text friends and ask what assignments need to be done.
    1;07pm; clarify that "assignments means going out that night with said friends".
    1;30pm; Get some lunch.
    2pm; Dont go to the gym after having membership for 4 months.
    2;01pm; play computer/console games untill...
    6pm; head out with friends, get wasted.
    9am; get home, wasted. Get to bed with alarm ringing for your lecture... It can wait till tommorrow.

ReputationRep:
    Undergrad in UK:
    9am: headache
    9:45am breakfast
    10am-noon: lectures
    noon: eat lunch back in halls, typically cheese on toast
    2pm: lectures
    4pm: do some work in the library
    4;45pm give up working, go to union bar, play pool
    6:30pm eat dinner
    7pm: back to bar, play more pool, drink
    1am: stagger home

undergrad in US:
    9am: wake up
    10am-noon lectures
    12noon: eat enormous slice of pizza
    1pm-3pm: lectures
    3pm-5pm: work in library on homeworks
    5pm: go to enormous all-you-can-eat dinner
    7pm: go back to library because stupid homework still unfinished
    9pm: return to flat to drink beer and play fifa/madden

UK postgrad:
    9am: wake up
    10am: arrive at office, vaguely work on something
    12 o'clock: lunch
    1pm: return to office, vaguely work on something
    4.30pm: go home
    5.30pm: eat dinner
    7pm: play sport
    9pm: go to pub with teammates
    mindnight: go home

ReputationRep:
    08:AM Get up and shower
    08:AM Breakfast (entirely dependent on whether you reckon you can stomach it after last night)
    09:AM Lectures start
    13:PM Lunch (generally whatever left in the fridge)
    14:PM Arvo lectures
    16:PM Lectures finish
    16:PM/19:PM Whatever takes your fancy with dinner somewhere in between
    19:PM/22:PM Pre-lash
    22:PM/??:??am That nights sponsored entertainment complete with a stumble back to flat head spinning

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.