Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    This is from the BBC news website http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-12880840

1 April 2011 Last updated at 16:18

…With the intentions of 24 universities declared, the majority intend to charge fees of £9,000 for their undergraduate degree courses…

…Leeds' University's pro vice chancellor of student education, Professor Vivien Jones, told BBC Radio Leeds why the institution had decided to charge £9,000 a year.
    "Universities of all kinds across the country, when they have done, as we have, very careful calculations about what it costs to teach a student, to give them a good quality education, have realised that the government's expectation that an average of £7,500 would be a likely fee just does not cover what it costs," she said…

University Tuition fee Confirmed or expected
    Aston ~ £9,000 ~ Confirmed
    Bath ~ £9,000 ~ Confirmed
    Birmingham ~ £9,000 ~ Confirmed
    Bishop Grosseteste, Lincoln ~ £7,500 ~ Confirmed
    Cambridge ~ £9,000 ~ Confirmed
    Coventry ~ £4,600 - £9,000 ~ Confirmed
    Durham ~ £9,000 ~ Confirmed
    Essex ~ £9,000 ~ Confirmed
    Exeter ~ £9,000 ~ Confirmed
    Imperial ~ £9,000 ~ Confirmed
    Lancaster ~ £9,000 ~ Confirmed
    Leeds ~ £9,000 ~ Confirmed
    Leeds Met ~ £8,500 ~ Confirmed
    Liverpool ~ £9,000 ~ Expected
    Liverpool John Moores ~ £9,000 ~ Confirmed
    London Met ~ £4,500 - £9,000 ~ Expected
    Loughborough ~ £9,000 ~ Confirmed
    Manchester ~ £9,000 ~ Confirmed
    Oxford ~ £9,000 ~ Confirmed
    Reading ~ £9,000 ~ Confirmed
    Surrey ~ £9,000 ~ Confirmed
    Sussex ~ £9,000 ~ Confirmed
    St Mary's University College, Twickenham ~ £8,000 ~ Confirmed
    UCL ~ £9,000 ~ Confirmed
    University Campus Suffolk ~ £7,500 - £8,000 ~ Confirmed
    Warwick ~ £9,000 ~ Confirmed

ReputationRep:
    sorry, i couldnt get the tablle to appear right

on the bbc news page the table has another two coloumns, telling you if it's in the russel group or whatever, and linking to related pages

ReputationRep:
    I love how this system was supposed to encourage competition. Ha.

ReputationRep:
    Is it just me that seems to remember them saying that only a few uni's will charge the full £9000 and for only certain courses?! Should of known it was BS from politicians. Silly naive me.

ReputationRep:
    Don't these figures still need to be mean tested by the government?

i.e. Half of these probably won't be allowed to charge the full £9k

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    I know, anyone could see that most universities would just rack the price straight up to £9000 straight away

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForensicShoe)

They need to be approved by OFFA (office for fair access), which as long as the universities meet the criteria put down by OFFA (which we haven't heard much of yet, but it doesn't seem too much from what we have heard) then they will be allowed to charge the full £9k. The government can't stop universities charging the fee just because they don't want them to charge that.

ReputationRep:

The head of the body set up to oversee uni fees says there's nothing they can do about it. New legislation will be needed by govt to make changes.

ReputationRep:
    It was pretty much inevitable that most unis will charge the top fee, they will all find a way to weasle their way into getting more money.

ReputationRep:
    yeah, its a shame though, my younger siblings aren't going to be able to go to uni

not that the older two will, one's headed for the army and ones headed for cooking school - but they should have the CHOICE without risking tens of thousands of debt

(Original post by jendra9311)
    yeah, its a shame though, my younger siblings aren't going to be able to go to uni

not that the older two will, one's headed for the army and ones headed for cooking school - but they should have the CHOICE without risking tens of thousands of debt
    Not this whole argument again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    Just as top up fees were.

I don't know why anyone thought it'd be different this time...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jendra9311)

They do have a choice.

How exactly is it a risk?

ReputationRep:

Why not?

They just have to show they have made access provision, if Oxbridge can do that anyone can.

ReputationRep:
    Basically:
    £9000
    £9000
    £9000
    £9000
    £9000
    £9000
    £9000
    £9000 and so on...

ReputationRep:
    The naivety of the government astounds me. Politicians keep saying how shocked they are at the fees proposed by unis and that the whole policy is now unfeasable. What did they expect? If you massively cut funding and then say you can charge up to £9000, the unis are gonna charge £9000.
    Also, they haven't paid attention to history. When the last cap for fees was brought in, all of them went for the maximum-it was obvious this was gonna happen again.

Btw, uclan have announced they're gonna charge the full £9000. Portsmouth has gone for £8500, with London south Bank is £8390 and Derby are £6995-7995. The bbc link has updated with this info

ReputationRep:
    To be honest I don't see how some courses can cost £9,000 a year to fund. One of my flat mates studies History and has 8 lectures a week for 24 weeks of the year. Are you really telling me it costs going on £50 per person per lecture when there are going on 300 people in each lecture? That's almost £15,000 per lecture they're making. I call rip off.

For some courses I can understand why they cost so much, but for others it has to be a rip off. A fairer system would be to charge fee's for what each subject actually costs to teach, not some blanket rate for everyone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arabcnesbit)
    To be honest I don't see how some courses can cost £9,000 a year to fund. One of my flat mates studies History and has 8 lectures a week for 24 weeks of the year. Are you really telling me it costs going on £50 per person per lecture when there are going on 300 people in each lecture? That's almost £15,000 per lecture they're making. I call rip off.

For some courses I can understand why they cost so much, but for others it has to be a rip off. A fairer system would be to charge fee's for what each subject actually costs to teach, not some blanket rate for everyone.
    Quite often universities will cross subsidise.
    Sciences actually cost a lot more than what is charged, so they extra for arts and other subjects which cost them less than what is charged.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WelshBluebird)
    Quite often universities will cross subsidise.
    Sciences actually cost a lot more than what is charged, so they extra for arts and other subjects which cost them less than what is charged.
    Yeah, that's why it's not fair.

ReputationRep:

hope not

this is ridiculous.catastrophic.lol some universities ive never heard of are charing 9000.wow.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.