Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Appropriate gifts for driving instructor? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Great Lord Xenu)
    I like the fact that TSR users refer to each other as "brothers" now.
    It's a close knit community :lol:

ReputationRep:
    I thought it was too mean to say this, but I've just realised you made the 'fake lesbians' thread and changed my mind:
    How the hell have you passed when you've failed so many times and clearly only passed this time because the examiner cba-ed to fail you? Aren't you incredibly scared you are going to crash when you start driving?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shinytoy)
    i used to think that, but 1 of the times the bend was tight and i had no choice, and the examiner said 'thats ok, you had to mount the kerb' but the other time i swerved to avoid a lorry and mounted a kerb and the examiner said at the end 'that was very dangerous, you should have waited for the lorry to pass as there clearly wasnt enough space, there could have been a little kid on the pavement, you would have hit him' but then he said 'but as the rest of the test was good, i will let you off that one'
    Like any examiner would say that.

ReputationRep:
    If you mounted the kerb and nearly hit someone you should NOT have passed. No matter how nervous you are or how badly things can turn out I can't believe you were let off. That instructor is unprofessional and if you were actually stopped during another test you must be extremely inproficient. I just hope you have your license removed before you endanger someone's life. I mean I've been having lessons over a year and it's so frustrating seeing other people slip through the net when they shouldn't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma-Ashley)
    Your instructor is talking rubbish...sorry.

I agree, My driving instructor advice me to take a pass plus to improve my driving skills on

Town driving
    All-weather driving
    Driving out of town
    Night driving
    Driving on dual carriageways
    Driving on motorways

He didnt mention how many lesson i should take - all he said is once he feel i have done all this with confidence then he will issue me a pass plus certificate..

ReputationRep:
    Brothers.

I am very pleased to say, as TSR worst driver I have passed on the 7th attempt with 6 minors. This was partly due to the examiner being more preoccupied with a)gazing out the window at the lovely sunny afternoon and talking about how he couldnt wait to get home to watch the cricket straight after my test with a cold beer. for this reason i managed to pass desipte mounting the kerb twice and almost hitting into the lorry (the examiner spoke about this afterward and said as the rest of the test was ok, i could still pass)

As a result i have passed with 6 minors, which was an improvement on my previous attempt (6th time) where i got 8 minors and two dangerous.

I was wondering what to get my instructor. i have only been with him 4 months, but he was really nice and gave me tissues when i burst into tears after failing number 5 and the examiner was nasty to me saying i was a bad and dangerous driver and stopped the test midway through because i was so bad. my instructor even took me to another test centre far away to do my test since the pass rate was higher. he also sat in the back of both my 2 final tests because i was too scared. oh yeah and he is 25 and very cute if this is relavent/

i wanted to get him one of those driving experience things, they are expensive but i have just got a bonus at work and i have spent over £4-5k on lessosna and test already so i dont mind. what did you get your insturctor? any suggestions?
    Save the money, you might need it when you loose your no-claims bonus.

ReputationRep:
    A bottle of Absinth would do.

ReputationRep:
    i used to think that, but 1 of the times the bend was tight and i had no choice, and the examiner said 'thats ok, you had to mount the kerb' but the other time i swerved to avoid a lorry and mounted a kerb and the examiner said at the end 'that was very dangerous, you should have waited for the lorry to pass as there clearly wasnt enough space, there could have been a little kid on the pavement, you would have hit him' but then he said 'but as the rest of the test was good, i will let you off that one'
    LOL No chance! Endangering yourself, the instructor, potentially killing/injuring a pedestrian and crashing the car when mounting a kerb would have been a serious and would have resulted in an automatic fail! I think your playing games with us young laaady.

ReputationRep:
    I gave mine £20, told him to buy a bottle of wine or something. Twas appreciated, as driving instructors get paid a bit less than you'd expect, by time the petrol costs get taken away, and the car maintainence, plus, the hours aren't always too great.

ReputationRep:
    Your examiner should be fired..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by botticello)
    x
    (Original post by Hunglikeamuuule)
    LOL No chance! Endangering yourself, the instructor, potentially killing/injuring a pedestrian and crashing the car when mounting a kerb would have been a serious and would have resulted in an automatic fail! I think your playing games with us young laaady.
    errrrm::::The examiner say, as i stated above 'there COULD HAVE BEEN a pedestrian' not that there was one. Maybe if someone had been there i would have failed. And i only mounted it a little to go round the lorry cos both cars couldnt fit.

ReputationRep:
    I really, really, hope that 'Advisor' will post here and confirm to us all there is no way that shinytoy would have passed her test and is having us on.

ReputationRep:
    Look out for cyclists!

ReputationRep:
    lol you still alive op

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheFatController)
    I really, really, hope that 'Advisor' will post here and confirm to us all there is no way that shinytoy would have passed her test and is having us on.
    uhhh i have no more green licence and have a blue certificate and spent the rest of my weekend partying so yeah..:rolleyes: .i dont think its unusual though, my mate hit the kerb on a left reverse and her examiner passed her since the rest was good. I dont mind to scan in my green ticksheet to show what i got marked for, or indeed my blue cert but i dont see how it would help anyone.

ReputationRep:
    Also on more than one of my tests, the examiner sat there with thew clipboard closed just observing and not qwritng anything until the test was over, then back in the TC they wrote it all up at the end. How can they remeber all the minors etc?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheFatController)
    Hmmmm join the list of sceptics

ReputationRep:
    Model car?

i can assure you i am for real. check the 'ultimate i failed my driving test thread' for my comments before the test, and my post history to see the progress on many tests. i nearly gave up after nr 5. but now finally i have passed. to be fair my tests had only like 1 or 2 weeks between them and i wasnt having anymore lessons on the advise on both my instructor and previous instructor that my driving was too good. i think it is nerves why i failed so much, sometimes my hand was shaking on the steering wheel in my tests. having ym instructor in the car really helped me calm down alot. he was awesome./
    This proves nothing. You're a consistent troll who is simply dedicated to trolling every forum on tsr.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iorek)
    Hmmmm join the list of sceptics
    so what, i dont care. im sharing my experiences and knowledge with you all so that:

- people who have just failed will be inspired to keep going as i passed on attempt 7

- people who have failed will realise luck is a big factor and it depends alot on the route and instructor you get on the day
    - people will not waste money having 10+ hours of lessons between tests (i had none and no practice between most of mines other than an hour before each test)

- to stop all the untrue rumours on here about 'hitting a kerb is an instant fail' 'if you get more than 2 minors in the same category it is a fail' 'they always ask two show and tell questions' 'you have to leave 10 working days between tests' (i generally left 7 and did them at weekends) i have done 7 tests across 3 different test centres, i think i would know :rolleyes:

- people should realise that despite the widely varying TC pass rates which range from about 25% - 80% across the country, it makes very little differenc e on the day of the tests. what matters is the examiner you get and the test route he chooses. i didnt know this, tried 3 TCs and ended up passig on attempt nr 7 at the exact same TC with the exact same examiner (yes really!) who did my very first test back in December.

i dont care who is saying im a troll - the fact is, ive probably got the most experience of sitting driving tests in the whole of TSR seeing as i did 7 tests in three TCs. and this is my experience. had i known the above i would have saved alot of money doing crazy things like having a 6 hour driving lesson with my instructor to cover all test routes before cramming a last minute test in ipswich (not my usual area, failed 2 dangerous on attempt nr 6 a week before my actual pass)

EDIT: I think the examiner who did my test was the cheif examiner. in our discussion after the test, when i said how many i'd done and how many at that test centre, he asked who my tets were with and it turned out the examiner was the same guy i had for my 1st test. and on either my 1st or 2nd test one of those guys was the head examiner. how can i check this?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 8, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.