Turn on thread page Beta

buying a 16-25 railcard online watch

ReputationRep:
    how does that work? is it a printable card in the end, or must you wait to get it mailed to you? also, if you fill the application in person, is the card done right away? I want to buy one online, but if I need to wait to get it in the mail, then it's not worth it.

(Original post by spritzelme)
    how does that work? is it a printable card in the end, or must you wait to get it mailed to you? also, if you fill the application in person, is the card done right away? I want to buy one online, but if I need to wait to get it in the mail, then it's not worth it.
    If you buy online, it'll come by post in 1-2 working days. I decided to buy it in person down at my rail station because of that reason and they did it there and then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Champagne Supernova)
    If you buy online, it'll come by post in 1-2 working days. I decided to buy it in person down at my rail station because of that reason and they did it there and then.
    thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Champagne Supernova)
    Also, the one they send you in the post when you buy online is one plastic card, the one you get in rail stations is 2 paper cards and they're flimsier. I'm really clumsy so the plastic one worked much better for me, plus if I renew online I can use all the same details and I get emails about when I need to renew. Furthermore, you get a 10% discount when you buy online.

(Original post by kat2pult)
    Also, the one they send you in the post when you buy online is one plastic card, the one you get in rail stations is 2 paper cards and they're flimsier. I'm really clumsy so the plastic one worked much better for me, plus if I renew online I can use all the same details and I get emails about when I need to renew. Furthermore, you get a 10% discount when you buy online.
    These are fair points! :p: I would've bought online if I weren't in a rush :sad:

ReputationRep:
    It's definitely better to buy online if you can. You can just stick the plastic card in your wallet, whereas the two card ones they give you at the station are too easy to lose/bend/accidentally throw away with tickets.

ReputationRep:
    I bought it from a railway station and that was really fast mind, just got my photo done then took 5 minutes as the guy at the station wrote my details down.

ReputationRep:
    do you know if once you buy the card online, you can use it to get a discount on train tickets straight away (if buying the tickets online)? The only problem I have with buying it online is that I'm not in UK atm but am flying there tomorrow and will need to get some train tickets to get around. I could just put my friend's address and pick it up when I go and visit her. would that work? or would they need to see my card before letting me on the train?

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.