Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Okay so I've decided I would like to either go into journalism or the foreign service once I'm done with uni, but I don't which degree would be better for my future options? Also would it best to combine Intl Politics/ Relations with Intl business or Media and communications? Which would leave more options open in the future?

ReputationRep:
    Just want to say thanks in advance to anyone who replies!

ReputationRep:
    Any body?

ReputationRep:
    Still no reply.....great...

ReputationRep:
    I don't know much about it but I don't think there is a difference (other than nominal). Did you check the course modules? How are they different?

I would recommend combining it with French (or another language - but French is probably the most useful).

ReputationRep:
    With Journalism etc, it can be easier to do a 'normal' degree at university-the majority of journalists don't actually have Journalism degrees. Anything that features writing and analytical skills is pretty helpful, combined with work experience.

I'm doing International Relations & Politics at Uni; to be honest I didn't see that much about International Politics when I was researching my degree choice; so I'd say they're maybe not that different.

I hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    International Relations as a discipline is more about theoretical approaches to the study of the relations between states, than politics which tends to be more about issues within states. In terms of choosing to study politics and/or IR, there's probably not a huge amount of difference in terms of careers, and lots of undergrad courses let you choose classes from both. For journalism or the FCO, you'd probably be better with a good Politics or IR degree, or combining one of those with a language (especially if you want to do foreign journalism) than you would with business or media.

ReputationRep:
    You don't need a degree in International Relations to go into the Foreign Service (though, of course, you can, if that is what interests you).

The great number of people who go into the Foreign Service have academic degrees like History, English, Economics, or PPE. Aim for something that gives you the chance to read and write widely. That is the most important thing.

Think about the actual steps you will need to take to get into the Foreign Service. If you are serious about it, you will need to apply for the Civil Service Fast Stream in your final year (or in subsequent years). The entire recruitment process does not pre-suppose any knowledge of international relations or even of politics. They primarily look for skills like literacy, numeracy, ability to read and analyse complex info, ability to express yourself well in person and in writing, etc.

So, whatever degree you choose, make sure you are developing these skills. Often, the only way to develop these skills is to read and write widely.

(Oh, and do pick up a language or two, if you can. You will need French and/or German if you want to work in the EU civil service).

ReputationRep:
    International Politics (like the degree taught by Aber) and International Relations are the same thing. There are quite a lot of euphemisms for the same course.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 11, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.