The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
i would say all your subjects are "academic" except for media and drama. they are considered less "academic". but universities don't care what GCSEs you have done.
Reply 2
me!
I'm doing these GCSE's:

Maths
Eng lang
Eng lit
Double Science
French
Geography
Art
Media
Drama
Statistics

And thinking of doing these A Levels:

Bio
Chem
Physics
Maths
Art

I'm not sure whether I have taken the right subjects for GCSE... Does anyone know what the definition of an 'academic' subject is... I'm kind of confused...

Your GCSEs and A-Level choices are fine.
4 alevels are needed, general studies doesnt count. :rolleyes:

oxbridge want 3 sciences at A grade :frown:

your gces are almost irrelovent, although oxbridge like all a*s. :eek:

hope thats kinda helpful

xxx

ps. i know everyone has been dissin it but medlink and medsim are great ways of finding out all these things

[email protected]
Reply 4
lilmissnaughty
your gces are almost irrelovent, although oxbridge like all a*s. :eek:[email protected]

Ha! that's the funniest thing i've heard all day. fortunately it's not true.
Reply 5
elpaw

No way would I ever got all A*'s and anyway judging by the amount of people who get rejected by Cambridge and the grades they have I don't think I stand a chance. I was worried though because I've taken 3 'more creative' subjects at GCSE...
elpaw

went to an oxbridge meetin thing and they said it was irrelovent, however i know people who have been rejected - they had mixed a's and a*s so we assume its ment to be all a*s

xxx
Reply 7
The GCSE's you are doing are fine. Definately "academic" enough. Same for the A-levels you are thinking of. And no, you do not need all A*'s to get into Oxford or Cambridge.
Reply 8
Bitewing
The GCSE's you are doing are fine. Definately "academic" enough. Same for the A-levels you are thinking of. And no, you do not need all A*'s to get into Oxford or Cambridge.

Just all A's! :wink:
Reply 9
lilmissnaughty
4 alevels are needed, general studies doesnt count. :rolleyes:

oxbridge want 3 sciences at A grade :frown:

your gces are almost irrelovent, although oxbridge like all a*s. :eek:

hope thats kinda helpful

xxx

ps. i know everyone has been dissin it but medlink and medsim are great ways of finding out all these things

You certainly don't need 4 A-Levels, the typical oxford offer for medicine is AAB, GCSEs are relevant and often counted up and scored (you need a minimum of a certain number of A grades for many med schools), oxbridge will equally consider people who don't have all A*s, a mix of 5A*s, 4As and a B did it for my friend, and yes, i did find Medlink of some use. Dr. Craven, who runs it is a legend.
Reply 10
me!
Just all A's! :wink:

Is that even necessary? - I'm sure I've heard of people who have got in with less than that. I could be wrong though.
Reply 11
Bitewing
Is that even necessary? - I'm sure I've heard of people who have got in with less than that. I could be wrong though.

All As for Oxbridge would be a good starting point. Anything more than 2Bs and you're pushing yourself towards the back of the pile.
Reply 12
the main thing will be how you perform at interview, work experince etc. Someone once told me that they'll chuck your application in teh bin if you write that you want to be a doctor cos your mum was one.
Reply 13
emom100
the main thing will be how you perform at interview, work experince etc. Someone once told me that they'll chuck your application in teh bin if you write that you want to be a doctor cos your mum was one.

I wouldn't be surprised!

I think they have seperate criteria for personal statement, interview performance, exam (if the course/college does one), and grades.
Reply 14
yea, u should just aim to get as high grades as you can get...just to get every advantage u can over all the other thousands of ppl applying for places too...
if u don't mind me asking, wot r u predicted?
yea and as the person above me sed, u need lots of work experience, community service, have some kind of leadership role, have other interests outside skool, e.g. music/sport...etc and how you perform at interview
~connie~
Reply 15
emom100

Yes, but you have to be good on paper to get an interview. One of my tutors actually liked the fact people said their parents were doctors, as it showed they were fully aware of what they were getting themselves into. Logical, but still flawed in many ways.
Reply 16
timeofyourlife
Yes, but you have to be good on paper to get an interview. One of my tutors actually liked the fact people said their parents were doctors, as it showed they were fully aware of what they were getting themselves into. Logical, but still flawed in many ways.

What percentage of applicants do they interview roughly?
Reply 17
Bitewing
What percentage of applicants do they interview roughly?

Depends which med school. I'd say around 50-60%
Reply 18
me!

And thinking of doing these A Levels:

Bio
Chem
Physics
Maths
Art

Way too much workload.

I did Art before, and I know the commitments you have to put in for a good grade, and its similar to about 1.5 A level of another science subject. It is just too much work. trust me. And with teh rest of your A levels, well you won't get the best marks available as you are stretching yourself out too much. Aim for 3 A levels and get 3A's than 5 A levels and getting 3A's and 2 B's.
Reply 19
I got 2 Cs at GCSE o.O DIdn't apply for medicine though.

Latest