Turn on thread page Beta

Channel 4 to stand by Frankie Boyle over joke about Jordan's son watch

ReputationRep:
    I refuse to take Katie Price seriously. How can you take her seriously when she has bought out an auto biography every other year.

She's an idiot, duping other idiots to buying her stupid emrchandise. Let's not forget why she 'shot to fame', big boobs.

ReputationRep:
    Most of his stuff is funny, but that wasn't really that good a joke (not because of the "offense", it just wasn't great)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fire2burn)
    When you watch a comedian you do so knowing full well that they're going to be controversial, I have no sympathy for people that get offended knowing full well the sort of humour Boyle is known for.
    Exactly. The majority of the people who report these kind of things and are 'offended' don't even watch the shows in the first place ! They just jump on the bandwagon and report away since they have nothing better to do.

ReputationRep:
    Oh **** off.

You should be able to say what you like. Yes, it was harsh, frankly it was funny to me at the time, but lots of comedians, especially including Boyle, have a reputation for being highly acerbic and controversial. If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen as Truman said.

ReputationRep:
    TBH, Frankie Boyle has had his day. Tramadol Nights was ****e, the stand up sessiong were painful to watch with him trying too hard to be offensive rather than funny. Might have been wrong for him to target Jordans child, but while she lives out the freak show that is her life in the public eye then its a risk she has to take. But, as otheres have said, you watch frankie, you know what youre getting yourself into.

ReputationRep:
    What do you expect from Frankie Boyle?
    I wasn't all that impressed with Frankie Boyles "Tramadol Nights" to be honest. I only watched it usually because it came right after "The Morgana Show" which was brilliant.

ReputationRep:
    Personally, you shouldn't make fun of anyone with "special needs" or a less capable person.

But if there was a disclaimer on the show saying "warning: blah blah blah" then expect controversial topics. Those 500 complainers to Of-Com knew what they were getting into. It's not like the show was broadcast at 9.00, it was really late at night.

Well done to Channel 4 for standing by Boyle. Not so well done to Boyle for the tasteless joke. That being said, it's not funny to me, but it can be funny to someone else. Comedians do need to know where to draw the line between funny and offensive though - but that's difficult too.

ReputationRep:
    When people make sick jokes about others it can damaging. When people laugh and joke about rape it just makes me angry. Its just not right! He shouldn't be allowed back on tv, hes a grown man acting in such a disgusting way.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Smophy)
    Franky Boyle can be funny but he takes things too far. On Mock the Week he was hilarious but he tries to hard to be offensive and takes things too far in his shows and ends up just not being funny.

But obviously some people do find his shows funny otherwise he wouldn't be successful. Like people say, if you don't like it then don't watch it.
    I agree about him taking things too far sometimes. There is a fine line between funny and not and I think as he has started doing more things away from shows like Mock the Week he is going further.

I don't find what he said funny at all, but that's the sort of comedian he is - taking the **** out of people.

ReputationRep:
    What happened to the good ole days where people could make jokes about anybody? Bernard Manning was a fantastic comedian but he was hated by the press because his jokes were 'racist'.

Funny thing is that black people actually went to see him live..

ReputationRep:
    Frankie should apologise, just cos the jokes suck

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 4, 2011
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.