Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I'm on a gap year, back from travelling about 3 months ago and have struggled to find a job ever since. I have a weekend job which offered me a full-time position this week which I was really looking forward to but they have revoked it now due to being overstaffed.

I have tried to find other positions but I am not getting interviews or getting anywhere, really. It's not that I'm unemployable, there just isn't anywhere suited. I write freelance, too, which is creating a small income but I have to stay at home to write.

Here's where the massive problem is: I don't get on with my mum. I know lots of girls don't, but I never have and never will. We clash and I can't bear to be in the same room as her. I despise the woman and can't wait to leave. She's been on my back since I came back from travelling about stupid stuff and it's driving me absolutely crazy to the point where I am crying all the time and screaming at her. All my friends are at uni so I'm to the point of lonely insanity.

So I hate being at home with my family and can't get a job. University is still quite far away and I feel so horrible all the time.

Has anyone been in this situation before and could possibly help?

ReputationRep:
    I'm in a similar situation, gap year, part time job, all friends away at uni. Mum's at work all day, but when she gets back she hits the wine, so she's not the best to be around. If you can, I recommend going to stay with friends at uni, it's great fun normally! I've been to Leeds, Norwich and Manchester and all were awesome trips, really broke the mundanity of gap year life Also, it's Easter soon, so everyone will be back home! Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm on a gap year, back from travelling about 3 months ago and have struggled to find a job ever since. I have a weekend job which offered me a full-time position this week which I was really looking forward to but they have revoked it now due to being overstaffed.

I have tried to find other positions but I am not getting interviews or getting anywhere, really. It's not that I'm unemployable, there just isn't anywhere suited. I write freelance, too, which is creating a small income but I have to stay at home to write.

Here's where the massive problem is: I don't get on with my mum. I know lots of girls don't, but I never have and never will. We clash and I can't bear to be in the same room as her. I despise the woman and can't wait to leave. She's been on my back since I came back from travelling about stupid stuff and it's driving me absolutely crazy to the point where I am crying all the time and screaming at her. All my friends are at uni so I'm to the point of lonely insanity.

So I hate being at home with my family and can't get a job. University is still quite far away and I feel so horrible all the time.

Has anyone been in this situation before and could possibly help?
    yeah, same gap year situation as well. Best thing to do other than looking for a job is to get out of the house. Turn to sports etc. Nothing better to clear your mind and help to physical and mental health.

ReputationRep:
    In terms of spending less time at home, you could try doing your writing in a cafe or the library. Or the park if it's a nice day. You could also do some volunteering to fill some time.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 4, 2011
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.