Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Southampton vs Lancaster watch

Which university is better to study law or business? Southampton or Lancaster? (I also have the offer form Newcastle but it doesn't interest me as much) I have the same offer from these two universities and I have to choose something.

Also, which one is better in terms of accomodation, sport facilities and general atmosphere of campus?

Have you never visited either of them? I really do suggest you try and not go in head first and blindly.

In terms of academics little difference between the two. Southampton being my personal preference based only on the size of the department. I have never visited though.

As for transferring to another university, then it doesn't make a difference.

As suggested, it is definitely worth visiting the two. You might find that you feel 'at home' or more comfortable at one and not at the other.

The law department here is pretty good and the department has some real characters amongst the teaching staff. Eg, Richard Austen-Baker. The Management School is one of the best rated in the country, with great links to employers and wonderful facilities. It has a very international feel, due to the high number of overseas students who wish to study there.

There is a lot of variety of accommodation. From self-contained studios, new ensuites, townhouses through to varying levels of standard accommodation. If you live on campus, you are never more than 20 minutes from anything [and if you pick a central college, you'll be even closer - this year, it has taken me just 2 minutes to get to all my classes lol]. There is also university accommodation in the city centre for second/third years, which is next to the canal and some lovely restaurants. The SU also owns a great number of houses in the city, so you can stay with university-linked accommodation throughout, if you prefer.

The brand new sports centre is opening in summer 2011, and there are lots of tennis courts, rugby and football pitches etc. There are lots of sporting competitions. Eg, Carter Shield between all the colleges. There are smaller competitions between certain colleges, eg, Patriots Cup and Founders Cup. Plus, we have the annual Roses competition with York University. Because of the area, there are lots of outdoors sports to try including kayaking and mountaineering - both societies go on frequent weekend trips away eg, to the Lakes. We also have an active clay pigeon shooting society, which is obviously amazing [it really is, I love it lol].

Campus has a friendly atmosphere. It feels like a small, safe little town full of fun loving students. Walking to lectures passed someone who is dressed as a roman soldier etc is pretty common lol. It has a nice balance - a hive of activity but with enough places to escape, be that sitting by the duck pond or going on the 'woodland trail' around campus.

I can't really tell you anything about Southampton. I considered it briefly but decided it was too far away from home, back when I was applying for my degree...

Anyway, hope that helps a little.

unfortunately I can't go and visit the universities so I have to rely on opinions of other people
Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.